Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2281553 - 02/24/23 06:54 PM Pet people out there?
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I have 6 dogs that i've only had for a couple of years (5 of them are the pups of the other dog, and the pups are just over 2 years old). So, i'm needing to give them shots (just not possible to get them to the vet, so i'm doing it myself). I've already successfully navigated the rabies shots, now it's the 6 in 1 or whatever they're calling it...i know there's a parvo immunization that's part of it. My problem is this:

I've figured out that i'm really bad with the syringes and the medicine bottles and this shot requires pulling liquid out of one bottle, squirting it into the powder bottle, mixing them up, and then giving the shots. It took me 10 minutes on the one i have successfully given (to the mama dog). I get the theory of it (i'm told i should only insert the needle a little bit into the bottle, make sure it's covered by the liquid, etc.)....but i'm just wondering if anyone with more experience than me might have some magic words for me. Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
#2281554 - 02/24/23 06:56 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
If you have suggestions, please come with them quickly....i'm needing to give shots tomorrow morning.

Return to Top
#2281584 - 02/25/23 04:08 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Do you know a doctor, nurse, dentist personally, or through a club. church, etc.
Give them a call

Return to Top
#2281596 - 02/27/23 03:25 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Shots given.....i got it done.

Return to Top
#2281600 - 02/27/23 04:13 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
one deer Offline
Any where but work
Good job raitchjay, I just supervise and hold the dogs, because I am super clumsy with sharp objects LOL. Thank you for taking good care of your pets.

Return to Top
#2281657 - 02/28/23 02:40 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
I'm late to the party, but where I am in Central Florida pet stores like Pet Supermarket will have a vaccine clinic day once a month or once a quarter. It's usually held on a Saturday. It's for the shots only, no exams or anything, but great for getting your healthy pet vaccinated. Rural King does the same thing. See if a store near you does this and find out what you may need to bring with you and maybe try that next time.

Return to Top
#2281661 - 02/28/23 03:07 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
i have 6 dogs who don't know what a collar and leash are, so i have to do it myself...but thanks. smile

Return to Top
#2281736 - 03/01/23 06:05 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Congratulations on getting it done. We only have 1 dog and I can't imagine doing that. Did you take video? I imagine there were some humorous moments (for us on-lookers at least)!

Return to Top
#2281738 - 03/01/23 06:12 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
So, 5 of my dogs (the 2 year old plus puppies of my mama dog) live in a fenced in area about the size of a football field on my place)...the mama dog roams freely and sleeps in my house at night. So, Saturday morning i got the puppies a rawhide bone that they love, and that takes them 2 or more minutes to eat, which is a long time for them. So i came prepared with needles and syringes and the medicine in there, and got my males first (3 of them) and the 2 females last. Wasn't easy, but i got it done.

Just for the record....my puppies all have igloo doghouses with straw bedding....plus there's an old small shop that i've converted into a larger doghouse for them with a doggy door......so they do have protection if they want it on cold and wet nights. (I do bring them inside on super cold or super stormy nights.)
Last edited by raitchjay; 03/01/23 06:16 PM.

Return to Top
#2281746 - 03/01/23 07:25 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
What kind of dogs are they ratchjay?

Return to Top
#2281749 - 03/01/23 07:39 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Mama dog (Brownie) is some sort of pit mix.....really not sure what else, but she's short-haired and brown all over (almost copper really) with just a bit of white on her chest....she looks pit though (sweetest, best dog ever.....people hear "pit" and immediately get the wrong idea). Her puppies are all over the place (Brownie adopted me....i tried to shoo her away for a month before i gave in....and before i could get her fixed, she got bred...multiple times it seems by looking at her puppies). She had 11 puppies (1 died the next day....rehomed 5 others). The 5 i named are the 5 i still have....2 of them look very much like labs......another one almost looks like an australian shepherd or some such.....1 of them looks a lot like Brownie...and 1 looks like sort of a pit/german sheperd/rotweiller mix.

They're a handful......but i love em like my kids now. Brownie, Rocco, Bruno, Bandit, Penelope and Guido (Guido is a female....she got named before i realized she was a female and it was too late to change). Of the 11 puppies, only 2 were female and i still have both of them...Penelope and Guido.

Return to Top
#2281758 - 03/01/23 09:43 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
love it! There's no bad dogs, only bad owners...that's what I've always said. My neighbor rescues and trains pits and pit mixes and they are some of sweetest best behaved dogs I've ever met!

Seems dogs know just who needs them and when!

Sounds like a fun group!

Return to Top
#2281772 - 03/02/23 01:51 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Oh my gosh.. would love to see a picture of them... we need photo options here... at least for this stuff!!

Return to Top
#2281774 - 03/02/23 02:48 PM Re: Pet people out there? raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
basilring, PM me and i'll figure out a way to send you some pics of them. They really are some good-looking dogs though.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett