Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2281612 - 02/27/23 06:17 PM Re-opened Applications
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Looking to find out how everyone is treating re-opened applications.

Mortgage application denied. Applicant provided additional information shortly after denial and loan subsequently approved. In our LOS, the same loan number is used.

Are you reporting the denial?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2281620 - 02/27/23 07:49 PM Re: Re-opened Applications TryingtoComply
Cielo Offline
We report the reinstated application only - assuming that both times the action was taken in the same reporting year and nothing materially changed from the two requests. You have the option to report both or just one. Below is from the 2022 GIR

If, within the same calendar year, an applicant asks a financial institution to reinstate a counteroffer that the applicant previously did not accept (or asks the institution to reconsider an application that was denied, withdrawn, or closed for incompleteness), the institution may treat that request as the continuation of the earlier transaction using the same ULI or NULI or as a new transaction with a new ULI or NULI. If the institution treats the request for reinstatement or reconsideration as a new transaction, it reports the date of the request as the application date. If the institution does not treat the request for reinstatement or reconsideration as a new transaction, it reports the original application date.

Return to Top
#2281625 - 02/27/23 08:12 PM Re: Re-opened Applications TryingtoComply
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We report both. If the application is denied in March and reported and then the applicant comes back in September and is approved I don't want to have to remember to go back on the LAR and remove or modify the March entry.

But as Cielo said, it is the financial institution's option how to report them if the "re-opened" app occurs within the same calendar year as the initial app.

Return to Top
#2281629 - 02/27/23 08:29 PM Re: Re-opened Applications TryingtoComply
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I report both, but if the same calendar year, it's your choice as Cielo has stated.

Return to Top
#2281630 - 02/27/23 08:42 PM Re: Re-opened Applications TryingtoComply
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Great! Appreciate the response. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM