Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2281456 - 02/23/23 02:44 PM Introductory Rate Period
L. Finley Offline
New Poster
Hello,
I am working on a file where the loan was approved as a variable rate adjusting every 3 years, however the loan was documented with a fixed rate instead. Our doc team prepared a Change in Terms Agreement to modify and correct the interest rate from fixed to variable (effective two months later). For HMDA reporting, would I need to report the introductory rate period as "NA" since that is how it was prepared on the Note as of the closing date, or should I report "36 months" to match the approved rate that it was modified to?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2281472 - 02/23/23 05:23 PM Re: Introductory Rate Period L. Finley
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Modifications are not reportable. You report what it was at origination. You actually got the borrower to sign such a modification? I would have not.

Return to Top
#2281478 - 02/23/23 05:36 PM Re: Introductory Rate Period rlcarey
L. Finley Offline
New Poster
Thank you and very true about the rate considering how frequently the WSJ has increased.

In this case, the loan was originally approved with a variable rate and the CIT was done completed to correct our mistake. Would it still be considered a modification?

Return to Top
#2281479 - 02/23/23 05:41 PM Re: Introductory Rate Period L. Finley
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The only way to change the legal obligation on a closed-end loan is for the borrower to sign a modification. If I got a good starting rate in this market, why would I agree to turn that into a variable rate loan. Whether or not this involved a bank error is not relevant. If you somehow coerced the borrower to sign something that was not to their benefit by claiming bank error, then you are staring at a UDAP.

Return to Top
#2281637 - 02/27/23 09:25 PM Re: Introductory Rate Period L. Finley
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Adding a previously undisclosed variable rate feature made your "modification" a refinancing under 1026.20(a). New complete set of disclosures (starting with the LE) and check all of the potentially applicable of Reg Z.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM