Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2283465 - 04/17/23 07:08 PM COVID-era banking rules
Anonymous
Unregistered

The various federal rules/laws about the pandemic imposed some requirements on banks.

I was focused on a different area of compliance at the time and I missed a lot of that chatter. But now I'm responsible for more things in compliance and need to know more about the pandemic rules.

I know for instance it pertained to a bank's inability to process a garnishment from unemployment or COVID benefits, certain rules about foreclosures, etc.

My question is, do any such rules still impose ongoing burdens? Or is it all in the past, and no need to dig into it now?

When I try to research this online, I find a regulatory webpage with 60+ pdfs linked - not much help.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2283978 - 05/01/23 01:05 PM Re: COVID-era banking rules Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bueller?

#2283979 - 05/01/23 01:18 PM Re: COVID-era banking rules Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You are asking some very broad questions. Not sure how to quantify them. There were both Federal and State guidance issued in some areas during COVID. Whether they have all been rolled back, I am not sure that anyone has maintained a list.

#2284712 - 05/19/23 01:27 PM Re: COVID-era banking rules Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why would you NOW be interested in garnishment of Covid benefits, when the last payout was almost two years ago?

#2285697 - 06/20/23 07:50 PM Re: COVID-era banking rules Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here: well, I'm new to my position. I've found various instances in which my predecessor dropped the ball. During the 2020-2021 period when these rules were coming out, I was not in this particular realm of compliance.

So, stepping in now in 2023, I'm wondering about what I posted: what did I miss? Did anything back then impose an ongoing, perpetual requirement, or is it all done and over with now, and there's no reason for me to go back and try to learn what all those rules and 60+ links said?

#2285705 - 06/20/23 09:17 PM Re: COVID-era banking rules Anonymous
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
I recommend focusing on current requirements to assist in getting up to speed with regulatory requirements rather than worrying about rules/guidance issued years in the past. There are a plethora of new rules/guidance issued within the past few months that can have immediate impact to your financial institution.

#2286190 - 06/30/23 10:00 PM Re: COVID-era banking rules Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP: Just one last bump to the original question asked at the top. I think the consensus is we don't know...

#2286211 - 07/03/23 04:45 PM Re: COVID-era banking rules Anonymous
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The various federal rules/laws about the pandemic imposed some requirements on banks.

I was focused on a different area of compliance at the time and I missed a lot of that chatter. But now I'm responsible for more things in compliance and need to know more about the pandemic rules.

I know for instance it pertained to a bank's inability to process a garnishment from unemployment or COVID benefits, certain rules about foreclosures, etc.

My question is, do any such rules still impose ongoing burdens? Or is it all in the past, and no need to dig into it now?

When I try to research this online, I find a regulatory webpage with 60+ pdfs linked - not much help.

Unemployment, Social Security, Federal Student Aid, and federal disaster assistance are often protected from garnishment outside of COVID rules. There are exceptions, however, for things like federal student loans, child support, or back taxes. Some states also have laws that prohibit garnishments of certain assistance programs, separate from the COVID requirements. For example, NY prohibits garnishments if gross or net salary is below certain thresholds. That state also protects Social Security, SSI, all public assistance payments, alimony/maintenance, child support, unemployment, disability, workers compensation, VA benefits, pensions, 401(k) and IRA accounts, private trust fund principal and 90% of payments.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale