Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2285106 - 05/31/23 04:56 PM FCRA - Credit Score Disclosures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Section 609(g) requires financial institutions that make or arrange mortgage loans using credit scores to provide the score with accompanying information to the applicants. The disclosure requirement applies to covered transactions defined as both closed-end and open-end loans that are for consumer purposes and are secured by 1-to-4 family residential real properties.

My question is, does a prequalification count as a "covered transaction"? Our instituion provides the required disclosures for prequals just the same, but for audit sampling purposes, I wasn't sure if prequals truly counted as covered transactions or not.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2285151 - 06/01/23 06:28 AM Re: FCRA - Credit Score Disclosures Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Paraphrasing will get you in trouble sometimes.

The FCRA actually says:

(g) Disclosure of Credit Scores by Certain Mortgage Lenders

(1) In general. Any person who makes or arranges loans and who uses a consumer credit score, as defined in subsection (f), in connection with an application initiated or sought by a consumer for a closed end loan or the establishment of an open end loan for a consumer purpose that is secured by 1 to 4 units of residential real property (hereafter in this subsection referred to as the “lender”) shall provide the following to the consumer as soon as reasonably practicable:

So, there are a couple of boxes to check.

1. Do you have an application. While the FCRA does not specifically define an application, it commonly agreed that the definition in FCRA would be the same as the ECOA. So, in my opinion you have an application.

2. Since they are applying for a determination of their credit capacity for a loan for the establishment of consumer credit that is secured by 1 to 4 units of residential property, I think this box is checked also.

Many banks that order credit mortgage reports and part of this service is for the credit bureau to automatically sending this notice to the applicant anytime such a report is ordered.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale