Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#23214 - 07/10/02 01:35 PM Reg Z and debit cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question about this scenario:
On July 9, I use my debit card to make a purchase from my checking account. There is no money in my checking account, but I have credit available in my overdraft protection line of credit. The purchase is authorized based on this credit being available (taking me from Reg E territory into Reg Z territory). On July 10 (the next day), the settlement for the purchase is done and my line of credit is advanced to cover the purchase.
Question: Is the loan advance effective July 9 (when the purchase was authorized and I got my goods) or July 10 (when the loan advance was actually done)?
I can't find this specifically addressed in Reg Z, so my interpretation is that as long as you disclose when finance charges begin to accrue you can do it either way. I have a member arguing Reg Z violation and claiming violation of usery laws. Anyone had experience with this, or had to address this scenario?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#23215 - 07/10/02 02:35 PM Re: Reg Z and debit cards
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If I buy 100 widgets Saturday at the local store and use my credit card, the transaction clears the bank when, and when does the FC begin accruing?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z