Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#234449 - 08/19/04 08:09 PM Tax ID verification
Calmeida Offline
New Poster
Is there a free look-up website to verify a tax ID number?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#234450 - 08/20/04 04:01 PM Re: Tax ID verification
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
I've spent a lot of time looking an have not found one. I've found a number of vendors who sell this service, but nothing free. The SSA website has a link for employers to verify SSN's but they limit it to a small number per EIN and ITIN's are not included.

We use ChexSystems for all new accounts and they do verify SSN's as long as they're in the database; however we've found the database to be 3-6 months out of date. That's a problem when you're dealing with a lot of migrant workers like we do. An there's still the problem with ITIN's.

If someone knows of a cost-effective solution, I'd love to hear about it too!

Return to Top
#234451 - 08/20/04 04:26 PM Re: Tax ID verification
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
From the IRS web site:

Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Matching
TIN Matching is a pre-filing service offered to payers and/or authorized agents who submit any of six information returns subject to backup withholding (Forms 1099-B, INT, DIV, OID, PATR, and MISC). With Interactive TIN Matching authorized payers can match up to 25 payee TIN and name combinations against IRS records prior to submitting an information return. Bulk TIN Matching allows payers and/or authorized agents filing any of the six information returns to match up to 100,000 TIN and name combinations. In order to participate in TIN Matching, payers must be listed in the IRS Payer Account File (PAF) database. If your firm has not filed information returns with the IRS in one of the past two tax years, the application will not be available to you at this time.

This link will take you to the page where you both register and login after you have registered. Registration is required. The service is intended to be used to improve the quality of your information reporting and there are suggested limitations on its use.

Return to Top
#234452 - 08/20/04 07:55 PM Re: Tax ID verification
Anonymous
Unregistered

This website - http://www.usinfosearch.com/Free_ssn_search.htm

will let you find out if the number is active and when it was issued.

Return to Top
#234453 - 08/23/04 07:55 PM Re: Tax ID verification
Cathy P Offline
Gold Star
Cathy P
NE
Ken, my question is this: Why do we have to give the IRS our personal information to get signed up for something that a business would use? And, in the registration, there is no place to put your business name. Why not be able to put in the bank's information?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z