Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#23450 - 07/11/02 03:28 PM Employee arrest
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have an employee who was recently arrested for felonious assault (not related to her work). She has not yet had a hearing. I know that we don't hire people with a felony on their record, but what about current employees? This was a situation where she stepped in the middle of something and got herself in big trouble. In our employee code of conduct policy, we state that employees should conduct themselves in a manner that would not embarrass themselves or the bank. Management has not decided what course to take. Has anyone encountered this situation and if so, what has been done?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#23451 - 07/11/02 03:31 PM Re: Employee arrest
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would at the very least suspend the employee without pay pending the outcome of the trial and confiscate all keys and combos immediately!!!!

Return to Top
#23452 - 07/11/02 03:53 PM Re: Employee arrest
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Don't risk wrongful discharge. Call your bank's counsel and get advice before you suspend or terminate.

Return to Top
#23453 - 07/11/02 04:04 PM Re: Employee arrest
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you're a National Bank, I don't think there is such a thing as wrongful discharge.

Return to Top
#23454 - 07/11/02 06:54 PM Re: Employee arrest
Anonymous
Unregistered

aren't you all forgetting about a little thing called "due process?" you are ready to fire this person based on an allegation. here's another idea that this country was founded upon....,"innocent until proven guilty." the charge is assault--NOT armed robbery.

Return to Top
#23455 - 07/11/02 07:04 PM Re: Employee arrest
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
I agree with consulting your lawyers on this one. Personnel issues can be very sticky.

Return to Top
#23456 - 07/11/02 07:07 PM Re: Employee arrest
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You said your employee "stepped into the middle of something" and got into trouble. It's entirely possible she stepped in with honorable and even laudable intentions, and is being charged under the "no good deed goes unpunished" version of Murphy's Law.

We've had cases (no employees, thankfully) recently in which someone stepped in to protect someone else from an apparent assault and battery, and ended up having assault charges filed against him for being a good Samaritan.

Don't can this employee unless she's found guilty.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#23457 - 07/11/02 07:16 PM Re: Employee arrest
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
I would also check your code of conduct policy. If you don't have one, this would be a good reason to get one.

Return to Top
#23458 - 07/15/02 11:32 AM Re: Employee arrest
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Anonymous:

If your employee was arrested and a criminal complaint was filed against her (sometimes the prosecuting attorney won't issue one after an arrest), I suggest that you suspend the employee -- with pay -- until she furnishes you with a copy of the police report.

Meet with your Security Committee and the Human Resources Manager -- with the employee -- and review the report and interview the employee. Determine her probable involvement and then decide what to do next, after you consult the bank's legal counsel.

Barring employment -- initial or continuing -- to applicants who have a demonstrated history of violence has become an industry-standard security practice. But if the act of violence was a response to an attack (self-defense), then I don't believe that termination is appropriate.
Last edited by Dana Turner; 07/15/02 12:14 PM.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z