Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#234909 - 08/20/04 07:21 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

Is there a sauce

not hot as in spicy, but hot as in heated

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#234910 - 08/20/04 07:54 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Boiled peanuts are absolutely disgusting. On a road trip to Florida via Georgia we kept seeing sign after sign for boiled peanuts. We'll we both got us a big ole bag. Yuck! Each took a nut from our own bag and spit it out. Although I've been in the south for the majority of my 50 years, I have never had the nerve to try grits. My mother eats them covered in sugar and butter. Those 2 ingredients tend to help most anything taste better.

Return to Top
#234911 - 08/20/04 07:55 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Boiled peanuts are absolutely disgusting. On a road trip to Florida via Georgia we kept seeing sign after sign for boiled peanuts. We'll we both got us a big ole bag. Yuck! Each took a nut from our own bag and spit it out. Although I've been in the south for the majority of my 50 years, I have never had the nerve to try grits. My mother eats them covered in sugar and butter. Those 2 ingredients tend to help most anything taste better.

You have had cream of wheat haven't you? It's very similar, only much better!

Return to Top
#234912 - 08/20/04 08:00 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
MUCH better. I hate cream of wheat, but love grits.

Return to Top
#234913 - 08/20/04 08:02 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
My wife introducted me to cream of wheat with sugar, but I've had grits only with butter and salt. I've never tried sugar with grits, but after reading here, I might try them with brown sugar. Sounds interesting.

Return to Top
#234914 - 08/20/04 08:03 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

My wife introducted me to cream of wheat with sugar, but I've had grits only with butter and salt. I've never tried sugar with grits, but after reading here, I might try them with brown sugar. Sounds interesting.

Use just a little at a time, don't overpower it!

Return to Top
#234915 - 08/20/04 08:08 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
OK I have to speak up for boiled peanuts....I am originally from Maine and have to admit they kinda have to grow on you, they taste like a salty black eyed pea!! However when your 22, driving through the north ga mountains in jan, in a convertible with the heater on and the top down, throwing the shells out of the car, they taste pretty darn good!

Return to Top
#234916 - 08/20/04 08:33 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
just what does a boiled peanut taste like? Is is soft? mushy? salty?

Return to Top
#234917 - 08/20/04 08:36 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
Yes!!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#234918 - 08/20/04 08:41 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Actually, the first time I ate asparagus I thought they tasted just like boiled peanuts! I can eat peanuts anyway you can make em. My grandpa and I used to walk thru the fields and pick em and eat em as we walked. Good stuff! Grits, yummy! Grits were created when some scots moved to GA and couldn't grow Oats. So, they created grits out of corn to eat instead of oatmeal.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#234919 - 08/20/04 09:11 PM Re: Boiled Peanuts and Grits!
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Good boiled peanuts depend on how you cook them. The best are fresh green peanuts right off the vine. Clean them really good. Boiled for 30 minutes with no salt added. This will soften the shells. Next add about a 1/2 box of salt. Cook for 1 hour. To finish the peanut off add two beers and cook for 30 more minutes. Doesn't hurt to have a cold beer while you are waiting those last 30 minutes. Serve hot but remember to refrigerate the left overs.

The secret to excellent grits is to add about 1/4 cup of milk or cream right before you serve them.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2