Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#238777 - 08/31/04 07:40 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Jay-Risk Offline
Gold Star
New England
Quote:

Z - you are not turning into Dawnie, are you?

Paragon, Use caution. This could be viewed as unfair teasing, mean-spirited, or insensitive hate speech, and could result in the complete shut-down of the thread.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#238778 - 08/31/04 07:54 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

Z - you are not turning into Dawnie, are you?

Paragon, Use caution. This could be viewed as unfair teasing, mean-spirited, or insensitive hate speech, and could result in the complete shut-down of the thread.

Good point, and that's why I didn't state that he was turning into Dawnie. Talking about attorney's, well sort of attorney's [like Z]- we don't know for sure, did you see Angie Harmon last night (with her husband) giving a speech at the GOP convention - a real babe, and a republican.

Return to Top
#238779 - 08/31/04 07:56 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won *DELETED*
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Post deleted by zaibatsu

Return to Top
#238780 - 08/31/04 08:08 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

well sort of attorney's [like Z]-

Fully licensed my friend.

And apparently possessive.

Return to Top
#238781 - 08/31/04 08:17 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

well sort of attorney's [like Z]-

Fully licensed my friend.

I wonder if Angie was fully licensed. Also, I'm fully licensed as well, to drive. Z - get real - you are not an attorney, you just play one on BOL, just like Agnie did on Law and Order - you two have a lot in common and, frankly, you are even more believable than she was as an attorney.

Acting like an attorney - that's not a bad thing, as there are a lot of posters here that actually think that they are bankers! Most of them simply work for a bank as you quite possibly work for an attorney.

Return to Top
#238782 - 08/31/04 09:14 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

The public statements have always been that we will win; landing on the carrier and declaring mission accomplished in Iraq is an example. Whether the mission was finding WMD, routing terrorists, or bringing democracy to Iraq, at that time, none of these missions were accomplished, and remain illusive.

You are converging issues here, as well as adding your own feelings and interpretation to the mix. Nobody, including the President, ever said the war on post 9/11 terrorism has been won. What was said by the President and others was that we had successfully collapsed the government of Iraq and have captured its dictator. We have reached a demarcation point in the Operation Iraqi Freedom, and there was noting inappropriate about the President's marking this by landing on the aircraft. Yes, there is insurgency, but that will happen. However, there never was a timeline or action plan stating when and if weapons would be located, or whether people would happily accept freedom.

We would all like to see an end to Iraqi insurgency, and an end to the bigger issue of global Islamic fascism, but even John Kerry sitting down with the United Nations and third world nations won't guarantee that every potential incident will be prevented.

Aren't we all adding our own opinions and interpretation here? I wasn't converging issues, I was using the Iraq statement as an example.

I just wanted to see if anyone would go crazy over this statement and try to portray this a flip-flop.

Return to Top
#238783 - 08/31/04 09:34 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Jay-Risk Offline
Gold Star
New England
You opened the thread by stating...

Quote:

After basing large part of campaign on being the person to win the war, he [President Bush] now says we cannot win

Then you replied...

Quote:

I wasn't converging issues, I was using the Iraq statement as an example. I just wanted to see if anyone would go crazy over this statement and try to portray this a flip-flop.

The President did not say to Matt Lauer that he (the President) didn't believe the war in Iraq could be won; the President said he did not think the war on terrorism -- global terrorism in general -- would ever end. Call it what you will, you were converging the two issues to imply that the President stated something that we all know from today's news that he did not say. At any rate, you are now in agreement that you did not mean that the President was referencing Iraq, but rather was referencing terrorism in general, and that's what's important. Nobody ever thought for a moment that there was a flip-flop. Not even you truly believed that.

Return to Top
#238784 - 08/31/04 10:42 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Operation Iraqi Freedom

=Operation Halliburton Profits
Quote:

We quickly achieved superiority

Some threat !
Quote:

This type of terrorism was not even understood five years ago.

Glad we got those Cold Warriors like Rumsfeld et all to figure this one out. We need more missiles!

Return to Top
#238785 - 08/31/04 11:05 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
So, let's hear from you - your position on the issues. Do you support Kerry? Why? What would you change - direction of the war on terror, etc. Do you actually believe that Halliburton profits were the basis for taking over Iraq? What do you base that on - if you do?

What is it that you 'see' that most posters do not? Will we be safer with Kerry in charge?

Return to Top
#238786 - 08/31/04 11:30 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I was using Iraq as an EXAMPLE! The President has been saying that we will WIN the war on terrorism, but yesterday he said it may not be winnable. I thought this was interesting and wanted to see how regular posters would react to this.

You guys have been pretty hard on Kerry for inconsistencies and this seemed to me to be inconsistent when I read it yesterday.

Before you attack me this is my opinion and no I am not a Kerry supporter, Democrat or anything else that you may deride later.

Return to Top
#238787 - 09/01/04 12:52 AM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Anonymous
Unregistered

We were attacked on September 11th. Osama Bin Laden and his gang should be taken out at all costs. At the time and to this day, I advocated using every military means to hunt this man down and shoot him like the dog he is. Bush diverted much needed troops, spies, etc from Afganistan into this mess in Iraq. That's when he lost my support. As a father, if my son were to die fighting to find Bin Laden, I could at least find solace in that he died fighting a good cause. If he died occupying Baghdad, I would never never never never never get over my government putting him in that position.

Return to Top
#238788 - 09/01/04 12:54 AM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Well Staw, you got your wish. You are now seeing how regular poster are replying to this. If you do not like the answers, perhaps in the future, you will intentionally pour gasoline on the embers to see what kind of response you get.

As a teenage, there were young ladies who dressed a certain way and then were upset when the reaction they got was more than they wished for. This statement is in the same category.

Return to Top
#238789 - 09/01/04 02:08 AM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I'm ok with the replies; I just didn't want to be attacked for stating an opinion; so far I have not been attacked; Jay-risk and I disagree and that is fine. I just wanted to get the last word

I just hope you don't get responses for what you said about how women dressed and didn't like the attention; I understand what you are saying, but some might take that the wrong way.

Return to Top
#238790 - 09/01/04 04:23 AM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

We were attacked on September 11th. Osama Bin Laden and his gang should be taken out at all costs. At the time and to this day, I advocated using every military means to hunt this man down and shoot him like the dog he is. Bush diverted much needed troops, spies, etc from Afganistan into this mess in Iraq. That's when he lost my support. As a father, if my son were to die fighting to find Bin Laden, I could at least find solace in that he died fighting a good cause. If he died occupying Baghdad, I would never never never never never get over my government putting him in that position.

Which military commanders are being ignored by President Bush when they request more troops, spies, etc.? I would like to know - if this is true, please provide a source.

Return to Top
#238791 - 09/01/04 03:02 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon

I understand your point, but going after one person is simply not realistic as that person was only the most visible of terrorists at that time. Going after the state sponsors of terrorism is really the only viable option. It’s a simple fact that hunting down terrorists one at a time would be a fools game. If they were in this country, perhaps that would work and that is what is being done. In other countries – you really need to go after the country when that country will not support the efforts to stop terrorism.

Return to Top
#238792 - 09/01/04 03:12 PM Re: Bush states terrorism war cannot be won
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

my son were to die fighting to find Bin Laden, I could at least find solace in that he died fighting a good cause. If he died occupying Baghdad, I would never never never never never get over my government putting him in that position.

This seems quite contradictory to me. Being killed while hunting for a terrorist is okay, getting killed while freeing an entire nation from a 24 year terror-filled regime is not okay? You have a warped sense of value, my friend.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2