Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#239387 - 09/01/04 07:17 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but I guess you have to be into country music. Surely you must know Toby "we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way" Keith.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#239388 - 09/01/04 07:51 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Toby Keith (and Ted Nugent) are the two reasons I don't base my musical tastes on the politics of the performers.

Return to Top
#239389 - 09/01/04 07:55 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Kwiltr Offline
100 Club
Oh yes! This weekend in fact. Tomorrow is bracelet night for the carnival rides. Rides were fun until the year I got on the Scrambler with an ear infection. Haven't tried rides again since. Now I stick with the bunny displays, 4H stuff, quilt judging and the food concessions.

Return to Top
#239390 - 09/01/04 08:38 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
The county fairgrounds are about 5 minutes away from my office. Every year, a big group of us go over at lunch time (free admission before a certain time every day) and eat fair food. Huge corn dogs, funnel cakes, curly fries, etc. Then for the ride home, we stop by the booth where they make fried pies. Yum!

I guess fried pies are fairly unique to this part of the country (south). What kind of 'unique' food is served in your part of the country?

Return to Top
#239391 - 09/01/04 08:42 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
At the New Mexico State Fair (I'm a NM Native!!), they Indian Village serves Indian Fry Bread. There are huge vats of hot oil (okay, probably lard), and ancient Navajo women in velvet dresses with huge squash blossom necklaces cooking this melt-in-your-mouth fried bread. They top it with powdered sugar, or with beans, chili, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cheese. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it!

Return to Top
#239392 - 09/01/04 08:48 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Quote:

Oh yes! This weekend in fact. Tomorrow is bracelet night for the carnival rides. Rides were fun until the year I got on the Scrambler with an ear infection. Haven't tried rides again since. Now I stick with the bunny displays, 4H stuff, quilt judging and the food concessions.

I can relate - I found out I was pregnant only moments into riding the Tilt-A-Whirl! Never again, however, my daughter loves to ride any and all. My favorite fair food is funnel cakes and caramel apples. Our county fair runs almost a week and we usually have a concert. This year it was John Anderson and Highway 101. I'm not a huge country music fan but just enjoy going out to see all the people.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#239393 - 09/02/04 03:24 AM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Quote:

Quote:

Brad Paisley, JoDee Messina, Toby Keith

Tucson Tim, besides these, are there any big name stars? Are these just the locals?

Our State Fair in Columbia has Montgomery-Gentry and Lonestar! Not bad for a free concert! Now if only the corndogs were free!

Return to Top
#239394 - 09/02/04 04:55 AM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

In Southern California, County Fairs consist of swap meets with barnyard animals. They have however seemed to embraced the philosophy that good food can only tatse better if deep-fried.

Ah yes, where else can you buy "fajita-on-a-stick" and a shiatsu massager?

However, you do have to hand it to the lovely Arabian racehorses at Pomona. They are so beautful as they run around the track. Incredibly slow, but so beautiful.

The poor Thoroughbreds take strides that are longer than the track corners, and they very nearly collide with the outside wall on each turn.

Return to Top
#239395 - 09/02/04 05:10 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Our County Fair is currently going on this weekend. Last weekend were a lot of the Community Fairs. Yes, in the little town of 100 or so people, we had a Community Fair. The games on Saturday morning started off with a pet parade, bicycle races, penny scrambles, tug-of-war, etc. It was always a fun time! We turned out school and everything!

Return to Top
#239396 - 09/02/04 05:26 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
rowdy Offline
Home of the Buckeyes!
Us Licking County Ohioans have a great county fair! It's got harness racing (with trackside betting) demolition derby, tractor pull, lots of cows, chickens, hogs, fair food, etc. It's great seeing several generations having fun together.

Return to Top
#239397 - 09/02/04 05:37 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Johncrcm Offline
100 Club
Eastern KY
Our bank sponsored a corporate team in the tug of war the last two years at the fair.
The county re-initated in this fair in 1998 and held the first week in Aug. We always had it at the Jaycee's park and just purchased 30 acres for a new location and will open the first fair there in 2005. The fair is growing each year. during one week we had attendance which totaled over half of the total county population.

Return to Top
#239398 - 09/02/04 05:51 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
Our county fair is this weekend, too! It's a great fair - animals, exhibits, the carnival, demolition derby, local rodeo, pro rodeo - everything!

The whole community shows up - it's a great time to catch up with people that one hasn't seen since the last fair! A lot of people come back to the area specifically for that! The local High School sponsors an all-alumni breakfast one morning, where any graduate and their family is welcome to attend, have breakfast and talk to other alums.

Am I going to the fair? Wouldn't miss it for anything!

Return to Top
#239399 - 09/03/04 10:36 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
707 pounds is the official weight of the gargantuan pumpkin entered yesterday at Farm Exhibits by J. D. Megchelsen of Nikiski. Although first listed at 697 pounds, Mike Campbell of the state's Weights and Measures department quickly discerned an error in the computations and pronounced the official weight at 707 pounds. The pumpkin measured 127 x 101 x 91 inches. Megchelsen also entered another pumpkin weighing 504.5 poounds. The warm summer has produced a bumper crop of really big veggies which can be seen at Farm Eaxhibits, including a 39-pound turnip.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#239400 - 09/04/04 03:22 AM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Warm summer, in Alaska? Don't you have eleven months of winter and one of bad skating?

Return to Top
#239401 - 09/04/04 04:05 AM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you Paragon's alter ego? Leave Dawnie alone!

Return to Top
#239402 - 09/05/04 04:41 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

Quote:

We have a wonderful county fair, complete with all the rides, food, animals, crafts, garden produce, etc. Our fair still has stock car races, demolition derby and a tractor pull on different nights. Free musical entertainment throughout the 4 day run and kids day. It is a blast. Our county fair is in the middle of August.

The Minnesota state fair runs from mid-August through Labor Day. It is a grand event. Rides, entertainment (free and grandstand shows), food and everything else that goes along with a fair.

Yes, I love the fair!!!

Plus at the Minnesota state fair you can get just about any type of food "ON A STICK". Totally awesome.

It even beats Mall of America for best place to people watch in MN!

Return to Top
#239403 - 09/07/04 04:59 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

707 pounds is the official weight of the gargantuan pumpkin entered yesterday at Farm Exhibits by J. D. Megchelsen of Nikiski. Although first listed at 697 pounds, Mike Campbell of the state's Weights and Measures department quickly discerned an error in the computations and pronounced the official weight at 707 pounds. The pumpkin measured 127 x 101 x 91 inches. Megchelsen also entered another pumpkin weighing 504.5 poounds. The warm summer has produced a bumper crop of really big veggies which can be seen at Farm Eaxhibits, including a 39-pound turnip.

Uh is there anywhere you can see a photo of that pumpkin?

Return to Top
#239404 - 09/08/04 07:15 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
The story of the great pumpkin:

http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,1413,113~7244~2378147,00.html

I can't find a picture of it though. When the state fair posts it I'll be sure to send a link.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#239405 - 09/08/04 07:22 PM Re: County Fairs: Do they still exists?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks. Is someone turning it into an Igloo to use for housing during the winter?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2