GeoDataVision
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#240545 - 09/02/04 02:23 PM Penalty on IRA W/D's, 59 1/2+
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
From what I have gathered, apparently there is no law which prohibits charging a penalty for early withdrawal from an IRA time deposit, even if the account holder is at least 59 1/2. I could see the justification in doing so if the depositor were withdrawing the funds in order to get a better interest rate [within the same bank, or elsewhere.] However, is anyone aware of the penalty being charged for normal distributions, from ages 59 1/2 up to the time that distributions are required...or even for required minimum distributions once the depositor reaches age 70 1/2? I think it would be bad enough to charge the penalty for a normal distribution, and especially so for a required minimum distribution. I think that whatever penalty income that might be realized would be more than overcome by bad customer relations. I am just curious what the practice is at other financial institutions for IRA withdrawals once the depositor reaches 59 1/2. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and observations.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#240546 - 09/02/04 02:46 PM Re: Penalty on IRA W/D's, 59 1/2+
Peepers Offline
10K Club
We waive the CD early withdrawal penalty for anyone over 59 Ĺ so long as itís taken as a distribution.

If they want a non-reportable withdrawal to transfer funds to another institution, we will charge the CD penalty and a $25 administration fee. We have a long disclosure signed at account opening explaining this.

Return to Top
#240547 - 09/02/04 05:48 PM Re: Penalty on IRA W/D's, 59 1/2+
Tricia Offline
Gold Star
Smack dab in the middle of IL
Quote:

We waive the CD early withdrawal penalty for anyone over 59 Ĺ so long as itís taken as a distribution.

If they want a non-reportable withdrawal to transfer funds to another institution, we will charge the CD penalty and a $25 administration fee.

Ditto, except for the administration fee (we don't charge administration fees, although we probably should, nice non-interest income.)

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett