Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#240620 - 09/02/04 03:08 PM debit processors
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am currently shopping for a new debit card processor. If you had it to do over, are there any questions that you would have wanted asked before choosing your current provider? What are some of the features/products/services you love or hate about your current processor? Any other advice?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#240621 - 09/06/04 08:56 PM Re: debit processors
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
I think it is a big plus when the provider allows the customer to select his or her own PIN rather than just assigning one. Our processor provides a 24-hour 1-800 phone number for card activation which I believe helps protect us against fraud and also saves time in that we don't have to take the calls and activate the cards ourselves.

I also like that our processor provides a points program. As a small bank, we could not afford the time or cost of doing it ourselves.

One thing you might inquire about is how it will work if your customers pay at the pump. We are having some problems with this currently. Our processor is putting a $75 provisional debit on the card until the transaction is finally processed several hours later. I don't know if all processors are doing this or just ours, but we have had several customer complaints on this lately.

Return to Top
#240622 - 09/09/04 02:38 PM Re: debit processors
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
Thank you for the response Okie Banker. About the $75 hold at the pump- usually that is imposed by the gas station's processer, not the bank's. When pre-authorizing a purchase for gas, the station has to choose a reasonable amount to authorize. $80 in gas for some SUV's is not uncommon. So, they authorize the maximum amount to make sure that they get paid.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z