Skip to content
BOL Conferences Top Gun 23
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#244661 - 09/15/04 02:51 PM I'm having surgery ...
-5K-, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
-5K-, CRCM
I'm having surgery on September 27 to have uterine fibroids removed. I'm having a myomectomy.I was wondering if any ladies out there in BOL land has had this procedure or if anyone knows some one that has had this procedure? I've talked to my doctor extensively about it. I'm still a little nervous since I've never been in the hospital before.

I understand that in the past the only way to remove fibroids was to have a hysterectomy. Thank God medical science has better ways of treating them!

Please keep in your prayers.

Return to Top
#244662 - 09/15/04 02:53 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
No experience with this, but you can rest assured that you are in my prayers.

Return to Top
#244663 - 09/15/04 02:56 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
I have not heard of the procedure, but you are in my prayers. I'm sure it will go well.

Return to Top
#244664 - 09/15/04 03:19 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
DeeQ Offline
10K Club
DeeQ
Turnpike Exit 10
My Mom had the fibroids a long time ago, they did a partial hysterectomy (left her ovaries in, so she wouldn't grow a beard).

I am glad that medicine has made the advances so you don't need one, her recovery period was 8 weeks.

Best of luck, I am sure you will be a-OK.

Return to Top
#244665 - 09/15/04 06:01 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
mrenderman Offline
100 Club
mrenderman
Wisconsin
I am 33 years old and have had two hysterectomy's already. The first one at 30 to take out everything by my ovaries but what they didn't expect is to find a tumor the size of a long john on the back of my uterus. That surgery went all fine and dandy and I thank God everyday that I do not have to deal with the pain and agony every month. Now two years later I developed another tumor at the bottom of my uterine wall and needed another partial hysterectomy to have it removed. That surgery also went very well. I think with all of the advances in medicine these days, I have become less scared each time that I have to go in. I do have to have one more surgery eventually to take my ovaries out, but they are leaving them in as long as they can. Don't want hormone pills already. I am not scared at all to have the next surgery.
I would not worry about the surgery procedure, I would just focus on the fact that they are taking care of the fibroid tumors that could cause problems.

Return to Top
#244666 - 09/15/04 06:04 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
My doctor removed fibroids with laser surgery 1st. They grew back and I eventually had to have the hysterectomy to make them go away and stay away. I couldn't have children anyway so it was not a big deal. The myomectomy is a new procedure since my surgery was done. Hopefully, it will work for you.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#244667 - 09/15/04 06:48 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
VioletRose Offline
100 Club
VioletRose
Land Of The Lost
I don't know anyone who has gone through this, but I will be thinking of you & sending good thoughts to you.

Return to Top
#244668 - 09/15/04 07:28 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Had a complete hysterectomy about 16 years ago. It wasn't that bad.....The is the first I've heard of the surgery that you are mentioning....Hope things go well for you....

Return to Top
#244669 - 09/15/04 08:22 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
You are in my prayers. Your recovery time should probably be much less than a full hysterectomy.

I asked for a hysterectomy the last time I had bleeding episodes and they won't give me one! They say I have no fibroids or tumors, just an irregular cycle, but geesh! It's not like I'm going to have children at this stage of the game. I just want the monthly agony to stop.

As for leaving in the ovaries to keep the body producing hormones; my doctor said that after a few months, the ovaries figure out there is no uterus to produce hormones for, and stop on their own.

Return to Top
#244670 - 09/15/04 08:35 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Nanwa, if your doctor said that the ovaries quit producing hormones within a couple of months of a hysterectomy, I think he is an idiot. I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I was 36, my gyne said that I shouldn't need HRT until my mid 50's. Every year I have my hormones checked and my ovaries are still working fine.

I have read about a myomectomy and hope the procedures goes well. If not, you will probably end up having a hysterectomy eventually. I had fibroid tumors and my uterus was the size of a 4 1/2 month pregnant woman when they took it out. I haven't missed it yet!!!

Return to Top
#244671 - 09/15/04 11:05 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
KBuck - only had cysts removed from my ovaries on several occasions. Once I had children, the problem seemed to go away. But please know you'll be in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Return to Top
#244672 - 09/17/04 06:30 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
JeloQuen Offline
JeloQuen
Middle America
Actually I had surgery just lat Friday. Had one ovary removed because it was 4 times it's normal size. And was to have an ablasion, but was unable to because of tumers. Doc says that I can go back at a later date, if I can't stand the situation and she will remove the uterous. All in all, am feeling well. Was back at work Tues. But these pins and needle pains in the stomach have got to go! Hoping this weekend speeds my recovery. My thoughts are with you!

Return to Top
#244673 - 09/20/04 03:13 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
-5K-, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
-5K-, CRCM
JeloQuen,

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Return to Top
#244674 - 09/21/04 06:30 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
KSK Offline
Gold Star
KSK
Kansas
I had an endometrial ablation in August. It essentially burns off the uterine wall, without scaring the uterus. It leaves everything intact, but makes pregnancy virtual impossible. Ovulation continues, but since there is nothing left on the interior uterine wall, there is nothing for the egg to implant to, thus virtually no forming of the mucous layer and very little bleeding.

My Dr. recommended this course of action to address the irregular and heavy flow and nearly debilatating cramps. hysterectomy was also an option, but this route is noninvasive and recovery time is a few days compared to 6 weeks.

So far, the procedure appears to be having the intended result and it sure beats doing the hysterectomy. At least for now.

Return to Top
#244675 - 09/21/04 09:57 PM Re: I'm having surgery ...
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

You are in my prayers. Your recovery time should probably be much less than a full hysterectomy.

I asked for a hysterectomy the last time I had bleeding episodes and they won't give me one! They say I have no fibroids or tumors, just an irregular cycle, but geesh! It's not like I'm going to have children at this stage of the game. I just want the monthly agony to stop.

As for leaving in the ovaries to keep the body producing hormones; my doctor said that after a few months, the ovaries figure out there is no uterus to produce hormones for, and stop on their own.

If I were you, I would talk to your doctor about having a Progesterone test. Using a natural Progesterone cream may be just your answer. I was having such a horrible time with cramping, heavy bleeding and irregularity that I had to do something. I was too young for hormones and they weren't approved for pre-menopausal symptoms. So the doctor put me back on BC pills. After a year, I was wanting to get off them and started getting information on the Progesterone creams. Since I am also an Arbonne consultant, I ordered the one that we sell and have been using it for the last 2-3 years. I can't tell you how much it has improved my disposition and the way I feel. Cramping is almost non-existant and I am about as regular as I was on the pill. If you would like some great information on this, please get Dr. John Lee's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About..." It has some great information in it. There is one for pre-menopausal and another for post. He also has a website with good information. Dr. John Lee

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett