Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#244683 - 09/15/04 03:17 PM REG D- Transfers made by email
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a customer that wants to set up a Money Market account and wants to make transfers via email (not through the the typical internet transfer process, but an actual email to a bank employee). Any restrictions on the # of transfers they can make a month or statement cycle? We are wanting to treat it like a telephone transfer, which would not have restrictions. What do you think?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#244684 - 09/15/04 03:23 PM Re: REG D- Transfers made by email
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If they email or call and you transfer the funds to another account (DDA) of theirs, this would be a sweep type arrangement and would be limited. If you send them a check it wouldn't count.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#244685 - 09/15/04 04:20 PM Re: REG D- Transfers made by email
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

We are wanting to treat it like a telephone transfer, which would not have restrictions. What do you think?

I think you should re-read Regulation D, section 204.2(d)(2). Transfers made by telephone are most certainly covered by the restrictions, unless the instruction is to send the withdrawn funds by check payable to the customer.

Email is, I believe included within the phrase "telephonic (including data transmission) agreement, order or instruction" found in that section of the regulation. Unless the instruction from the customer were to "send me a check," you should count each such transfer in the six per month limit.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#244686 - 09/15/04 05:04 PM Re: REG D- Transfers made by email
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for catching that. My error.

Return to Top
#244687 - 09/15/04 06:30 PM Re: REG D- Transfers made by email
Bank Angler Offline
Gold Star
Bank Angler
Just a short drive from Lake E...
Another thought. Most e-mails outside of internet banking are not encrypted or secure, so e-mails with account numbers and transfers should be avoided.
|
|
¿ <°)))><

Return to Top
#244688 - 09/15/04 07:07 PM Re: REG D- Transfers made by email
mrenderman Offline
100 Club
mrenderman
Wisconsin
That was my thoughts exactly. I would make sure that if the e-mails are not secured, that you notify the customer that his information may be compromised by sending it through e-mail. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my customers sending any personal information through the e-mail.

Return to Top
#244689 - 09/16/04 01:54 PM Re: REG D- Transfers made by email
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Just be sure to edit out that confidential information if you click "Reply" and quote the message they sent you which contained it in the first place.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett