Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#245821 - 09/17/04 04:18 AM THE APPRENTICE
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Hey Apprentice Fans! What do you think of The Donald's decision to fire Bradford? I thought he was right on. Bradford made a stupid mistake and paid dearly for it.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#245822 - 09/17/04 01:25 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
-5K-, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
-5K-, CRCM
I couldn't believe he was that stupid and made such a rash decision. I thought that Mosiac was much more organized. I'm glad they won.

Return to Top
#245823 - 09/17/04 01:41 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I guess I was a little surprised since he kept praising him as the best one in the room. But I do agree. He put his own head on the chopping block and lost. You never do that. Ivana was saved by his mistake. She was a terrible leader and very disorganized. I think she would have been gone if it wasn't for his stupidity.

Return to Top
#245824 - 09/17/04 02:08 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I didn't think it was THAT dumb a move and thought Trump overreacted. If I had been Bradford I would have spun it as "I'm a risk taker, just like you." Trump seemed in a bad mood, and so did Carolyn. It was a dumb thing to do, but I thought both Ivana and Stacy J were worse last night, and more deserving of firing.

Thought the guys did a MUCH better job of selling, and deserved the win. Notice that Pamela was praising Kelly's style - if they'd lost she would have been singing a different tune for sure.

Ivana would have been my pick for firing, she did a TERRIBLE job as a leader and was so disorganized. The whole "let's let everyone say what they think" thing went on too long and she should have kept control of her people - they didn't know where the 2nd cart was for THREE HOURS? Even though Stacy J is a whack job and deserves to be fired soon, Ivana was worse last night.

Jen C really got slapped down in the board room, although she was nuts to interrupt Trump and/or provide commentary while he was talking. Isn't she the one who stared at him the whole time during the dinner at his apartment for fear of making the wrong move? He'd see that as a sign of weakness.

Didn't like either of the ice cream (now was it ice cream or gelatto? the guys' looked like ice cream but the girls' definitely looked like gelatto.) Donuts and ice cream? Ooog, too sweet. But the guys did a great job of marketing it as a breakfast food, and I thought it was great that they asked if all the proceeds could go to the charity. Even though I love red velvet cake, I don't think I would like red velvet gelatto. But good for the girls on getting the chefs/managers down to the street to buy whole tubs - that's the only reason they didn't lose by MORE than $250.

Return to Top
#245825 - 09/17/04 02:31 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also think the guys did a great job selling the ice cream. Their goal was to win the task and they did it with flying colors. Ivanna was a bad leader. If Bradford hadn't waived his exemption, I bet she would have been the one to get fired.

Return to Top
#245826 - 09/17/04 02:35 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Agreed. Bradford's position should have been "I did a good job and based on that I don't need immunity".

And you've got to admit, it was funny seeing the gal walk blocks to find the other cart and then to look across the corner from where they were and to find it hours later.

Ivana dodged a bullet this week. As bad as she seemed, she will either be targeted or do one heck of a reversal in performance.

And the meeting without Stacy to coordinate putting the blame on her because they wanted to target her from last week, not cool.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#245827 - 09/17/04 03:09 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
I think Stacy goes beserk and next week she gets tossed without even being in the boad room. This girl has a problem.

I want to see a Condalisa Rice type person in the group next time. I'm not likeing that last season and this season we have two nut cases and both are black women.

Return to Top
#245828 - 09/17/04 03:58 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Quote:

I didn't think it was THAT dumb a move and thought Trump overreacted. If I had been Bradford I would have spun it as "I'm a risk taker, just like you."

First, my big caveat is that I haven't seen this episode yet because I was bowling (I'll catch it on the Saturday night re-run). But I heard about it on the radio this morning.

My view is that it's one thing to take a risk in a calculated anticipation of a significant reward, but to waive your exemption just to grandstand? What's the point? He had nothing, really, to gain by taking this gamble except to show off and posture. Sure, there's a time and place for that in the business world to strike fear in the hearts of your opposition, but in this case he was just trying to look cool. It was not, in my opinion, a clever move.

ETA: Huh. I just bumped up the pre-existing Apprentice thread and then went ahead and posted in this one. Why?
Last edited by RandomName; 09/17/04 03:59 PM.
Return to Top
#245829 - 09/17/04 04:15 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I lost a lot of respect for "The Donald" last night. He himself said that Bradford was the best in the room and that he did a great job. How is saying "I don't need immunity, I did everything well and am most certainly not at fault for this loss" a huge mistake? What he did was say "I am confident about my performance", and Trump agreed he should be confident about his performance. Would Donald be upset with one of his executives saying "I believe in my ability and my hotel so much, I am willing to let you look at other places because I know you will be back?"

Return to Top
#245830 - 09/17/04 04:30 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I think Bradford let his ego get away from him a little bit, and The Donald isn't about to let someone 'out-ego' him on his own turf. He is keeping Stacie J around because she makes for good TV, much like Omarosa last year. I'm surprised that it never came-up that the women stole the guys idea of selling the ice cream on the street. Also, what were these women thinking wearing suits and heels to sell ice cream on the street? Who's would buy ice cream from someone that look's like a Banker? I'd really like to try that donut flavor however, and am beting that Trump will be making money off of it someday soon.

Return to Top
#245831 - 09/17/04 04:37 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't even like this show but watched some of it last night. I agree with what "The Donald" did firing Bradford. I run my own business and if I made a decision rashly like Bradford did that jeopardized my company, I wouldn't have a company to run. It reflected a major flaw in his business accumen. He is too cocky and reactive. I disagree that it showed "risk taking," I just think it showed very poor judgement.

If you have a chance as a business person to insulate your business from major risk, you do it. You never, ever put your business in harm's way if it is avoidable. That was his mistake and Trump recognized it. What Trump was saying was "Yeah, I take risks but if I ever have a chance to avoid the risk, I do that."

Return to Top
#245832 - 09/17/04 04:57 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
The ladies were out in left field the whole task. They wasted so much time coming up with a flavor and (Stacy) calling temp agencies that they didn't have any good or original ideas of their own on how to sell the product. That temp agency thing was really out there. Stacy wanted to hire temps to do the job they were supposed to do???? Didn't make sense to me! So they had to steal the men's idea of selling the ice cream in Times Square. In high heels, no less. They really did deserve to lose this one!

Return to Top
#245833 - 09/17/04 05:01 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

The ladies were out in left field the whole task. They wasted so much time coming up with a flavor and (Stacy) calling temp agencies that they didn't have any good or original ideas of their own on how to sell the product. That temp agency thing was really out there. Stacy wanted to hire temps to do the job they were supposed to do???? Didn't make sense to me! So they had to steal the men's idea of selling the ice cream in Times Square. In high heels, no less. They really did deserve to lose this one!

Actually I think she was on to something with the temps. Instead of having two carts selling ice cream they could have had three or four carts selling ice cream with temps doing the selling on the street while they went to the businesses and talked to them about buying more tubs, or they could have talked to other stores about positioning it in their store freezers for sale.

Unfortunately noone took her idea and turned it into anything.

Return to Top
#245834 - 09/17/04 06:22 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Quote:

Quote:

Actually I think she was on to something with the temps. Instead of having two carts selling ice cream they could have had three or four carts selling ice cream with temps doing the selling on the street while they went to the businesses and talked to them about buying more tubs, or they could have talked to other stores about positioning it in their store freezers for sale.

I still have to disagree Michael P. That would have been an expense they didn't need. The goal was to make more money than the other team. The men's team utilized people from the street to help them and it did not cost them a thing. (except maybe their dignity with some of the comments they were making about the women that were helping them)!! "Buy some ice cream and you can make out with this beautiful girl"!! That was a bit too far, IMHO.

Return to Top
#245835 - 09/17/04 06:42 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I still have to disagree Michael P. That would have been an expense they didn't need. The goal was to make more money than the other team. The men's team utilized people from the street to help them and it did not cost them a thing. (except maybe their dignity with some of the comments they were making about the women that were helping them)!! "Buy some ice cream and you can make out with this beautiful girl"!! That was a bit too far, IMHO.

I didn't like that comment either. I didn't like Trump insinuating that the girls should have used sex to sell the product either for that matter. Yes, sex sells, but should a CEO or OWNER suggest that his people demean themselves to sell a product?

Also, it's one thing to use people off the streets to sell your product in the same place you are, and another to hire people to sell it in multiple locations as I suggested the temps could have been used.

For example, imagine setting up carts with 1 team member from the team at each cart, and 2 temps in the following locations instead of two carts:

1. Port Authority
2. In front of the Big Library
3. Near Grand Central Station
4. All two sides of Time's Square
5. In front of the Museum of Modern Art
6. The United Nations Building

This leaves your last person (the team leader) to coordinate amongst the group and to make sure noone runs out of ice cream, or to move carts if business doesn't work in these areas and suggest other areas they can go, or to sell ice cream to the vendors who don't want muscled in on for the day.

Return to Top
#245836 - 09/17/04 06:48 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't like that comment either. I didn't like Trump insinuating that the girls should have used sex to sell the product either for that matter. Yes, sex sells, but should a CEO or OWNER suggest that his people demean themselves to sell a product?

Also, it's one thing to use people off the streets to sell your product in the same place you are, and another to hire people to sell it in multiple locations as I suggested the temps could have been used.

For example, imagine setting up carts with 1 team member from the team at each cart, and 2 temps in the following locations instead of two carts:

1. Port Authority
2. In front of the Big Library
3. Near Grand Central Station
4. All two sides of Time's Square
5. In front of the Museum of Modern Art
6. The United Nations Building

This leaves your last person (the team leader) to coordinate amongst the group and to make sure noone runs out of ice cream, or to move carts if business doesn't work in these areas and suggest other areas they can go, or to sell ice cream to the vendors who don't want muscled in on for the day.

I do see where you are coming from with that. It could have worked if they were better organized.

Return to Top
#245837 - 09/17/04 06:53 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stacie J was calling the temp agency long before the ladies stole the guys idea of selling on the street. Not sure what she was planning to do with the temps.

Return to Top
#245838 - 09/17/04 06:55 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
She wanted to use extra manpower to sell the product. No matter where they were selling it, even if they never hit the streets, it could have been useful.

Imaging 2 teams of 4 going out to businesses to sell the ice cream with the team leader at the office supervising the efforts and making appointments for them with several temps calling businesses to make the appointments...

Return to Top
#245839 - 09/20/04 02:12 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I finally watched it last night (I had it TiVo'd from Saturday). I have mixed feelings about Trump firing Bradford. On the one hand, if Bradford truly was the strongest person in the room and the show is about finding the strongest person to run one of Trump's businesses, then I think his firing of Bradford was a mistake on his part. On the other hand, if the show is really about creating an entertaining and suspenseful show with unique twists and turns, then firing Bradford makes perfect sense. And I definitely tend to lean toward the latter theory as to why the show is there.

All in all, though, Bradford was not my favorite contestant on this show anyway. I think he was trying too hard to be the next Troy. And his comment about the guys needing to "grow boobies like my girls" was too much for me. So from that standpoint I wasn't disappointed to see him go. But I wouldn't have minded seeing Ivana go either. Something about the sneer that comes on her face when something doesn't go her way just really annoys me. I think Stacie J is being ganged up on a little bit. Yes, the editing seems to show her as a complete wack job. But how much of that is really her and how much is editing. Just look at last week - during the task they made it seem as though she had just gone out on her own to find temps. But then in the Boardroom it comes out that this is what Ivana assigned her to do. But I too, like Don, have concerns that this is two seasons in a row they've either selected or made the sole black female contestant into a complete wacko.

I think with the twists and turns from this episode plus what is being promoted for next week clearly demonstrates this is about creating entertainment only and not about a job interview at all.

Return to Top
#245840 - 09/20/04 02:42 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

But I too, like Don, have concerns that this is two seasons in a row they've either selected or made the sole black female contestant into a complete wacko.

I don't think they are MAKING them anything. These two are complete wackos, and it has nothing to do with being the only black female contestant. Lets face it, there are a couple wackos on each side. Raj is a complete wacko, and so is Pam.

Return to Top
#245841 - 09/20/04 08:53 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
By the term "making" I'm referring more to the enhancements to that image that can be accomplished with a little creative editing.

Still in all, what was going through the producers minds during the screening process for these candidates?

Return to Top
#245842 - 09/20/04 09:05 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
You know they are looking for entertainment value when they do the screening... At least we haven't been told that they picked someone who sent in a nude tape as their application (like was done on the Benefactor).

This is so low it's terrible.

Return to Top
#245843 - 09/29/04 06:24 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
ST. JOHN'S, Antigua – (PRESS RELEASE) -- BetWWTS.com, a leading offshore gaming company for over 10 years, has suspended betting on the hit NBC reality series The Apprentice following an unusual betting pattern on two contestants on the show. Suspicions arose when the company received maximum limit wagers on the same two contestants from newly opened accounts originating in New Hampshire.

Of all the money wagered on The Apprentice to date, 100% originated from new accounts in New Hampshire, and all was placed on the same two contestants -- leaving BetWWTS.com with a liability of $10,000 on each. Company officials discovered that each account was opened within a day of each other and the customers all placed maximum limit wagers of $300 on the same two candidates immediately after opening their accounts. In one instance, a maximum limit bet was placed on one of the contestants even after BetWWTS.com had lowered the candidate's odds from 12/1 to 4/1.

"We have received an abnormal amount of maximum limit wagers backing the same two contestants from new customers in New Hampshire, which has unfortunately forced us to close betting on The Apprentice," said Stuart Doyle, wagering director of BetWWTS.com. "Whether the by-product of rumor or a leak from someone involved with the show, we've uncovered a highly unusual betting pattern and determined the risk too great to continue offering betting on the show."

This marks the fourth time that BetWWTS.com has ceased wagering on a reality television show because of unusual betting patterns. In September 2003, BetWWTS.com suspended betting on Survivor: Pearl Islands before the first episode of the show aired after receiving a number of wagers from the Vancouver area on eventual winner Sandra. Earlier that year, the company closed wagering on Survivor: The Amazon when it appeared that CBS employees placed bets on Jenna and Matt, the final two contestants vying for the $1 million grand prize. The first instance of insiders betting on a reality show occurred in November 2002, when BetWWTS.com halted betting on The Bachelor after discovering that a number of new customers from the hometown of bachelor Aaron Buerge had all wagered on eventual winning bachelorette, Helene.

Now if THIS piece of news isn't a spoiler, I don't know what is. In other news, Mr. Bad Haircut himself has commented that so far every spoiler on the web about the show has been wrong...

Return to Top
#245844 - 09/30/04 04:02 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Jennifer-with-the-Bangs so deserved the boot last night. The woman does not know when the SHUT THE HECK UP. And she "protected" Sandy even after Sandy, her BFF, recommended her for firing. People: Trump don't play. If a problem can be traced to a particular person, he wants them in the Boardroom. He doesn't want you to drag in somebody else that you simply happen to not like.

And why can't the women get along? Jennifer M. is looking comparatively like an angel simply be refusing to get caught up in the squabbling and backbiting.

I liked that the men (Kelly in particular) called the women out for turning on Stacie.

Chris? Obnoxious jerk. Sole Surviving Stacy? Looks like an instigator. But it's hard to take her seriously when she looks like she's 14.

Return to Top
#245845 - 09/30/04 04:37 PM Re: THE APPRENTICE
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I want to know if they are keeping those restaurants open or not. Anyone live in New York and want to go see?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2