Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#249730 - 09/28/04 02:20 PM Rescission or Not?
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
We have a borrower who is purchasing what will be his primary dwelling. We are also taking a lien on his parent's primary dwelling. Do the parents have the right of rescission?

My first thought is that it is a residential mortgage transaction so no rescission applies. On the other hand, it is similar to the example in Reg Z where on a construction loan rescission does apply if you also take a lien on the borrower's current primary dwelling, so I'm thinking the parents should have the right to rescind.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#249731 - 09/28/04 02:23 PM Re: Rescission or Not?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I believe that this meets the definition of "bridge loan" so a RofR is required to the parent's.

Return to Top
#249732 - 09/28/04 03:39 PM Re: Rescission or Not?
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
It's not a bridge loan, it's a 30 year mortgage. It meets the definition of a residential mortgage transaction, which is why I'm wondering if RoR does not apply because of that, or if RoR does apply because we're taking a lien on someone else's primary dwelling in addition to the dwelling being purchased.

Return to Top
#249733 - 09/28/04 07:13 PM Re: Rescission or Not?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This would not be a RMT for the parents. They get the ROR.

Return to Top
#249734 - 09/28/04 07:16 PM Re: Rescission or Not?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Very trusting parents to subject their home to a 30-yr lien! Yes, they get the ROR.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#249735 - 09/29/04 11:32 AM Re: Rescission or Not?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

It's not a bridge loan, it's a 30 year mortgage. It meets the definition of a residential mortgage transaction, which is why I'm wondering if RoR does not apply because of that, or if RoR does apply because we're taking a lien on someone else's primary dwelling in addition to the dwelling being purchased.

Reg Z defines this as a "Bridge Loan". But I understand that it is not a short term loan like you typically see. Read the Commentary to section 226.23(a)(1) #4 for a better understanding of why the RofR applies.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z