Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#250480 - 09/29/04 06:32 PM Need help on repurchase agreements
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
It has been a long time since I have seen repurchase agreements, but it looks like we are going to be offering them. Does anyone know if there is a percentage limit as to how much of the market value of a security can be pledged for repurchase? Back in the cobwebbed corners of my mind, I thought there was some kind of rule, like, only 75% or 80% of the market value of the security could be used for repurchase agreements, thus giving a "buffer" in case of drops in market value.

Am I having a senior moment, or is there something like this out there?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#250481 - 09/29/04 10:44 PM Re: Need help on repurchase agreements
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Nanwa - I've had experience with repo's at my previous place of employment and I'm reaching back behind the cobwebs as well, but I don't recall such limitations. Even though we had one special "term" repurchase agreement, the rest of ours were the typical overnight repo, which is more commonly the case, so I don't think there would be a concern the market would fluctuate that quickly. The only limitation I recall as far as the security pledged, was ensuring the security was classified under FASB 115 properly. But, I could be wrong. Is it possible what you remember was a bank policy for Asset Liability Mgmt and not a regulatory or legal requirement, since this would be more of a risk to the bank and not the customer?

For brief overview and reminder of repo requirements you might go to Kirchman's "BOB" and look under Reg D/Q. And, for a real fun read, the governing code (I believe)is 17 CFR 400.

Good Luck - and have fun

Return to Top