Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#255156 - 10/12/04 03:12 PM What do you fear the most?
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I'm afraid of wasps, bees , people who lie, not fulfilling my duty while on earth, be it towards my spouse, children, religion, politics, or life in general. I'm afraid of dying without a complete confession and absolution (religious). I'm afraid of death itself......

Of course, not necessarily in that order. I'm also certain that if you mention something that I have not thought of...I'll say "Yeah, me too."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#255157 - 10/12/04 03:16 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Jumping in quick before someone says "So and so getting (re) elected" and turns this into yet another political mud-slinging thread.... [Think I just said I'm afraid of people who insist on turning everything into a political fight.]

Most afraid of spiders. Not crazy about snakes and bugs, but heart-stopping afraid of spiders.

Return to Top
#255158 - 10/12/04 03:24 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I'm most afraid of bald black young men I don't know. I'd never been afraid of anything in my life, but after two such individuals abducted me and put guns to my head I found out what fear is.

Return to Top
#255159 - 10/12/04 03:33 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, michael, that had to be absolutely terrifying and life-altering. I don't think anyone can top that post!

Return to Top
#255160 - 10/12/04 03:35 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Wow, michael, that had to be absolutely terrifying and life-altering. I don't think anyone can top that post!

You know, it's the best thing that ever happened to me. Before the trauma, I was only concerned with my career and the things I had. Afterwards I realized how important friends and family are, and I am much happier. I still have my fear, but it's something that once I am aware of, I can not only accept it, I can live with it.

God works in mysterious ways.

Return to Top
#255161 - 10/12/04 03:39 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
How terrifying....!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you get away?

Return to Top
#255162 - 10/12/04 03:47 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
Gee, I think Michael just put all of my fear into perspective! Can you share your story?

Return to Top
#255163 - 10/12/04 03:48 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
bam Offline
Gold Star
Kansas City, Mo
Michael - I can relate, looking in the south end of a sawed off shotgun puts life, family and career in a whole different light. As i get older I realize my spouse, family, friends and the grace that comes from God is more important than all my toys and my career.

Return to Top
#255164 - 10/12/04 03:56 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Kerry and Teresa in the White House.

Return to Top
#255165 - 10/12/04 04:00 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Gee, I think Michael just put all of my fear into perspective! Can you share your story?

If you want to know more, send me a private message. I'm not so much into posting all the details for the world to see, but I'm not adverse to talking about it either.

Return to Top
#255166 - 10/12/04 04:26 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
Losing one of my parents. My dad has battled cancer, and it is the scariest feeling I've ever had.

Return to Top
#255167 - 10/12/04 04:29 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Something bad happening to one of my children is my biggest fear.

Return to Top
#255168 - 10/12/04 04:35 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I too am afraid of death, bees, animals with rabies (you can thank my mother for that one), heights, angry lenders, etc. I'm still skittish about flying, but do it several times a year to visit my husband.

Return to Top
#255169 - 10/12/04 04:48 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Quote:

Losing one of my parents.

Losing my mom! I lost my dad in a mining accident when I was 13. My mom has been both parents to myself and my brothers since then. We would be devastated if anything happened to her.

The other would be anything bad happening to my child also. I have a 2 year old son, my only child.

Those are my greatest fears!!

Return to Top
#255170 - 10/12/04 06:25 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I agree with all of you, but I wish to add snakes to the list.

Return to Top
#255171 - 10/12/04 06:28 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fire I am terrified of being in one. I always had a tremendous amount of respect for firefighters but after seeing ladder 49 I have even more respect.

Return to Top
#255172 - 10/12/04 06:32 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
I have two great fears:

First, having to bury my son. It's really weird, I think I could be strong for him if my wife died, but if our son died our lives would be a wreck. Neither one of us would function.

Second, dying of Alzheimer's Disease (or any other form of dementia). I believe suicide is morally wrong, but I have to admit that if the doctor told me I had Alzheimers, I know I would start thinking about suicide seriously.

Return to Top
#255173 - 10/12/04 06:40 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Losing one of my parents. My dad has battled cancer, and it is the scariest feeling I've ever had.

I lost my dad a few years ago and that was extremely difficult. He and my mom were married for almost 47 years and I miss him so much every day. I don’t know if the pain ever goes away, it just sort of dulls and the hole that remains in your soul is never filled.

It truly is a sad thing, but if you believe that this life is just a brief time and that life goes on long after this one is over, it makes it somewhat more bearable.

Return to Top
#255174 - 10/12/04 06:50 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

I have two great fears:

First, having to bury my son. It's really weird, I think I could be strong for him if my wife died, but if our son died our lives would be a wreck. Neither one of us would function.

Second, dying of Alzheimer's Disease (or any other form of dementia). I believe suicide is morally wrong, but I have to admit that if the doctor told me I had Alzheimers, I know I would start thinking about suicide seriously.

I agree Paul, I watched my grandfather die a slow, painful death due to Alzhiemers a couple of years ago, it wasn't something I ever want to relive again.

Return to Top
#255175 - 10/12/04 06:56 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
bam Offline
Gold Star
Kansas City, Mo
Quote:

Quote:

I have two great fears:

I agree Paul, I watched my grandfather die a slow, painful death due to Alzhiemers a couple of years ago, it wasn't something I ever want to relive again.

My Dad died last January of Alzhiemers, it's tough, and I still struggle remembering my Dad fad away. I was with my Dad the last 5 days. A very trying experience but I wouldn't trade it for anything

Return to Top
#255176 - 10/12/04 07:50 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember when I was a bank examiner with the OCC going to small town Kansas towns. For the times I was out there in the middle of nowhere, the one thing I was most afraid of was being tied to the back of a truck and dragged to my death. I remember a bank in 2001 where my car broke down (alternator problem) and the President of the bank had one of his friends that owns a garage fix my car. It was a Mercedes and he couldn't get the parts in wihtin the exam period so he fixed the alternator that was in the car. To cut the story short, I was working BSA program and cited the bank for some violations in addition to several recommendations to improve the bank's BSA program, which, to say the least, did not make the president of the bank happy. Imagine how I felt having to go back to that bank 18 months later (the next exam). Frigthening! Another thing that happened during my time with the OCC was going to another small town bank and meeting with the bank's president. Hanging on the wall were signs with inscriptions, "Auction: slaves and cattle". There had to be several of such signs, as well as guns hanging on four walls of the president's office. I was by myself on this exam and needless to say, I did not sleep in that town. I Commuted instead. As far as I could recall, I don't remember seeing a black person in either town, but the experiences did not make me afraid of white people from small towns. Moreover, some of my best friends are white people. Hey, Michael, I'm sure some of your best friends are black people.

Return to Top
#255177 - 10/12/04 07:52 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Hey, Michael, I'm sure some of your best friends are black people.

Actually 2 of my good friends are, and without them, I think going through that experience would have been even worse. The problem for me, which I am well aware of, is that I never saw their faces, only the back of a bald, black big eared man. Somewhere deep down inside me, I always get this horrible feeling in my gut when I see a bald big earred black man I don't know because subconciously I am wondering if that's the guy.... I am far from racist.

Return to Top
#255178 - 10/12/04 08:34 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
My greatest fear:

Not making a difference.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#255179 - 10/12/04 09:13 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Kerry and Teresa in the White House.

Well said....my thought exactly!!!!!

Return to Top
#255180 - 10/13/04 08:07 PM Re: What do you fear the most?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
People who can't read things like "no politics"

And I'd have to agree with most of the general fears.

Michael don't take this wrong GET HELP! I had a similar fear once after being stalked by an Eastern Indian man for 4 years. I didn't know what he looked like, but I knew his accent indicated a place of origin. I realized soon afterwards that I was reacting differently to people of Eastern Indian decent and visited a councelor to talk about my fears. I don't want to go through life viewing one particular race as being bad and my fears were unrational given proper perspective. I realize now how stupid, but real my fear was, but no longer hold it for a particular race, but instead, for Eastern Indian men who actually stalk me, verses all of the race A counceller can help put that in perspective for you, which will make your life a great deal easier Really!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3