Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#260003 - 10/21/04 09:43 PM Safe Deposit Box Advertising
Betsy Offline
100 Club
Betsy
Minnesota
Do you need to say that safe deposit boxes are "Not FDIC Insured"? I thought I had heard something about this.

Return to Top
Marketing
#260004 - 11/11/04 11:19 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Advertising
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Make sure that your safe deposit box lease agreements contain verbiage that the contents are not insured by either FDIC or the bank; we put signs in all of the SD vaults stating that box contents are not insured by FDIC or the bank; and make sure that any advertising you do for safe deposit boxes doesn't say Member FDIC on it or use the FDIC logo. I don't have the links, but look up safe deposit boxes, 9/11, and the World Trade Center to read about the lawsuits brought by customers with SD Boxes located in the bank branches that were located in the WTC. Those customers were never allowed access and many of them thought that the contents were either covered by FDIC insurance or bank insurance - not a good assumption since we also have absolutely no idea of the contents of those boxes, but Joe Public makes his own assumptions.

Return to Top
#260005 - 11/12/04 12:25 AM Re: Safe Deposit Box Advertising
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
It is not required, but we do have signs at the vault to that effect. I have not mentioned "not FDIC insured" in my previous advertising, but it couldn't hurt.

We use the slogan "Safe Deposit Beats Your Closet!"

Return to Top
#260006 - 11/12/04 02:46 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Advertising
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Make sure that your safe deposit box lease agreements contain verbiage that the contents are not insured by either FDIC or the bank; we put signs in all of the SD vaults stating that box contents are not insured by FDIC or the bank; and make sure that any advertising you do for safe deposit boxes doesn't say Member FDIC on it or use the FDIC logo. I don't have the links, but look up safe deposit boxes, 9/11, and the World Trade Center to read about the lawsuits brought by customers with SD Boxes located in the bank branches that were located in the WTC. Those customers were never allowed access and many of them thought that the contents were either covered by FDIC insurance or bank insurance - not a good assumption since we also have absolutely no idea of the contents of those boxes, but Joe Public makes his own assumptions.

I have to double check, but I don't think it is non- compliant to have "Member FDIC" by your logo in an ad that mentions or advertises Safe Deposit Boxes. If so, you could never include SD Box infomation in a brochure.

Return to Top
#260007 - 11/12/04 11:44 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Advertising
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Quote:

I have to double check, but I don't think it is non- compliant to have "Member FDIC" by your logo in an ad that mentions or advertises Safe Deposit Boxes. If so, you could never include SD Box infomation in a brochure.

I don't have a cite reference, but you can't use Member FDIC in conjunction with an ad for a product that a customer may consider an asset when it isn't FDIC insured because it may be held to infer insurance. You can blend it into a brochure the same way you blend in investment or insurance products by adding a separate disclosure - for instance, if you have a folder with separate sheets for your various products, you could put a disclosure on that sheet. The way I understand the 9/11 safe deposit lawsuits, customers of those banks either considered it to be a "deposit" because that word is contained in the product (and yeah, that's moronic but stupidity isn't a protected class) or they assumed incorrectly that because it was in the bank that it was covered under bank catastrophe insurance. The only place I can think of to find a specific cite reference would be the FDIC regs but this may be more of a bank liability issue than anything. I don't want my bank to end up in court because someone thought we didn't do enough to let them know we weren't insuring the contents of their boxes (think McDonald's and the disclosure they put on coffee cups after getting sued because someone spilled hot coffee on their lap and said McDonald's should have TOLD them how hot the coffee was....).

Return to Top
#260008 - 11/13/04 03:18 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Advertising
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me know what you find out Hawk, please. To me, common sense says having "Member FDIC" at the end of any ad (excluding non-bank investment products) simply states that your "bank" is a member of the FDIC. And while I probably would inlcude a disclsoure stating SD Box contents are not insured, I don't like the idea of omitting what in essence is a proud and overlooked selling point of the bank - even if customers may not usually acknowledge that.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker