Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#260139 - 10/22/04 03:52 AM Congratulations Cardinals
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Congratulations Cardinals! I thought Garner should have recognized that Clemens was struggling earlier. Seems like he was the only one who did not see it. Before the Cards scored a single run against him in the 6th, I thought he should have gotten Lige to pitch just that one inning and then bring in Oswalt. I am not sure we could have won even with that--our bats went strangely silent tonight.

Oh well!! Like I have said year after year after year...wait til next year. Oh, sorry Cards, but I have to pull for the Sox to break their long, long, long drought.
Last edited by -Z-; 10/22/04 03:58 AM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#260140 - 10/22/04 03:56 AM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Thank you Z, and congratualtions to a great season for the Astros.

G O

C A R D I N A L S

Return to Top
#260141 - 10/22/04 03:59 AM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Thank you Z, and congratualtions to a great season for the Astros.

G O

C A R D I N A L S

Thanks. If we can find the $$$ to keep this team together and get Pettite and Miller healthy, we might be WS bound next year. After that, this team is getting a little long in the teeth for another shot after 2005.

Hope y'all have fun celebrating. I turned the TV off before the ball even reached the first baseman's glove for the last out. I did not want to see one moment of Cardinal celebration. Does that make me a sore loser?
Last edited by -Z-; 10/22/04 04:01 AM.

Return to Top
#260142 - 10/22/04 04:48 AM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Hope y'all have fun celebrating. I turned the TV off before the ball even reached the first baseman's glove for the last out. I did not want to see one moment of Cardinal celebration. Does that make me a sore loser?

You're not a sore loser, Z. I would have done the same thing if the game had turned out the other way. And I probably would have been rooting for the Sox too.

But not this time.

Return to Top
#260143 - 10/22/04 11:49 AM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
It ought to be a great series! I can't wait.

GO SOX!

sorry... Dan...

Return to Top
#260144 - 10/22/04 12:03 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Nice going Cardinals! It'll be a good series.
I gotta cheer for the Red Sox But good luck to all the Cardinal fans.

Return to Top
#260145 - 10/22/04 12:53 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Congrats to the Cardinals and their fans. That being said, the Sox are going to take it, or at least I'm rooting that they do.

Return to Top
#260146 - 10/22/04 01:10 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Way to go, Redbirds! I'm getting my wish: 1967 deja vu (and with the same result, too, I hope).

Return to Top
#260147 - 10/22/04 01:17 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Congratulations Cardinals! I thought Garner should have recognized that Clemens was struggling earlier. Seems like he was the only one who did not see it. Before the Cards scored a single run against him in the 6th, I thought he should have gotten Lige to pitch just that one inning and then bring in Oswalt. I am not sure we could have won even with that--our bats went strangely silent tonight.

Yeah, in retrospect it's easy to see that a change should have been made - if he had brought in Lidge early, though, and then had to go to someone else, or had he brought in Oswalt, and then they had blown it, everyone would be all over him today for not taking his best shot with the HOFer. Tough call either way.

Quote:

Oh well!! Like I have said year after year after year...wait til next year. Oh, sorry Cards, but I have to pull for the Sox to break their long, long, long drought.

No apology necessary - I hope that you are disappointed, though!

Return to Top
#260148 - 10/22/04 06:46 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, in retrospect it's easy to see that a change should have been made - if he had brought in Lidge early, though, and then had to go to someone else, or had he brought in Oswalt, and then they had blown it, everyone would be all over him today for not taking his best shot with the HOFer. Tough call either way.

Quote:

It was not restropective thinking. I could tell Clemens was done. I could not believe Garner had no one pitching in the bull pen. However, I guess the theory is that you win or lose with your best. However, this being the 7th game, I think Lidge could have pitched the 6th and 7th saving Oswalt for the 8th (and if necessary, the 9th). Lidge is young and did not throw that many innings in the days leading up to this game--I can't believe he could not have DOMINATED for 2 innings--he was un-hittable.

BTW: What was the most strike outs Lidge recorded in an inning this season?

Return to Top
#260149 - 10/22/04 06:46 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was not restropective thinking. I could tell Clemens was done. I could not believe Garner had no one pitching in the bull pen. However, I guess the theory is that you win or lose with your best. However, this being the 7th game, I think Lidge could have pitched the 6th and 7th saving Oswalt for the 8th (and if necessary, the 9th). Lidge is young and did not throw that many innings in the days leading up to this game--I can't believe he could not have DOMINATED for 2 innings--he was un-hittable.

Return to Top
#260150 - 10/22/04 07:11 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

It was not restropective thinking. I could tell Clemens was done. I could not believe Garner had no one pitching in the bull pen. However, I guess the theory is that you win or lose with your best.

Do you think he should have taken him out before Pujols or before Rolen? I wouldn't argue with saying he should have been lifted before Rolen, but the three batters before Pujols had not hit him very hard - Cedeno had a ground ball single, Renteria bunted, and Walker grounded out. The pitch Pujols hit wasn't a bad pitch, Pujols just hit it, anyway (like Beltran's homer off Tavarez). Sometimes a hitter is just dialed in.

Quote:

However, this being the 7th game, I think Lidge could have pitched the 6th and 7th saving Oswalt for the 8th (and if necessary, the 9th). Lidge is young and did not throw that many innings in the days leading up to this game--I can't believe he could not have DOMINATED for 2 innings--he was un-hittable.

He did throw three innings on Wed. And that was after throwing a lot Sat., Sun., and Mon. I'm sure he would have pitched the 8th and 9th with a lead.

Quote:

Since you ask, I assume it's a trick question and that the answer is 4 - not uncommon for strikeout pitchers.

Return to Top
#260151 - 10/22/04 08:15 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: What was the most strike outs lidge recorded in an inning this season?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you ask, I assume it's a trick question and that the answer is 4 - not uncommon for strikeout pitchers.

Oh, it is pretty uncommon--My understanding is that it has happened only 46 or 47 times in the major leagues since 1907.

Return to Top
#260152 - 10/22/04 09:00 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BTW: What was the most strike outs lidge recorded in an inning this season?

Oh, it is pretty uncommon--My understanding is that it has happened only 46 or 47 times in the major leagues since 1907.

Well, that may be the total number of times someone can find a record of it happening, but I bet it's more common than that. Number of instances in recent years:

2004: 2
2003: 3
2002: 2
2001: 2
2000: 1
1999: 6! (Chuck Finley twice - three times in his career)

S: Baseball Almanac

If these are consistent with prior years, it should have happened a few hundred times over the course of major league baseball history. I don't see why it would happen five times as often over the last few years. (With hitters of this era more prone to strikeout, I could see it happening twice as often, maybe, but not five times as often.)

Return to Top
#260153 - 10/22/04 10:08 PM Re: Congratulations Cardinals
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I dunno the truth, just what I read. This is from minorleaguebaseball.com:

Lancaster’s Schultz Fans
5 in One Inning

Friday, July 16, 2004

Lancaster reliever Mike Schultz struck out five Rancho Cucamonga Quakes in an inning last night to tie what is believed to be a Minor League record. Schultz’s feat equaled that of at least three others; Tom Dukes, Kelly Wunsch and Scott Gardner. Dukes struck out five for Columbus in a Southern League contest in 1964; Wunsch fanned five in an inning for the Beloit Brewers in the Midwest League in 1994; and Gardner turned the trick in 1995 for the Fayetteville Generals in the South Atlantic League.

Schultz struck out his five in the seventh, but it was far from an easy inning. He struck out the leadoff hitter, David Gates. Adam Pavkovich then struck out swinging, but a wild pitch allowed him to reach first base. After the next three batters reached base, Schultz struck out Reggie Willits for the second out of the inning. After another single, Greg Porter struck out swinging on another wild pitch, allowing him to reach. The next batter singled, bringing Gates to the plate again. Gates struck out swinging for the second time in the inning, marking the fifth Quakes batter to fan swinging in the inning.

The Quakes scored five runs in the inning and won the California League game 19-4.

Schultz pitched just the seventh inning, allowing three hits and five unearned runs. The Arizona Diamondbacks picked the right-hander in the second round in 2000.

The Major League Baseball record for strikeouts in an inning is four, accomplished 46 times since 1907, the last being on June 13, 2004 by Brad Lidge of the Houston Astros.

(Information from www.jethawks.com was used in compiling this story)

Return to Top