Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#269187 - 11/01/04 03:44 PM Auditing teller drawers
Barbara Offline
New Poster
I Would like to know how other teller supervisors perform a audit on the tellers’ cash drawers, how often should it be done and what steps to follow when it is done? (Example) Should the teller supervisor verify the teller’s journals to make sure there are no illegal transactions being done?

Return to Top
Audit
#269188 - 11/01/04 06:44 PM Re: Auditing teller drawers
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
My former bank required monthly surprise cash counts by the supervisors. (We had a problem with people stealing.) We would just count the cash and send our counts to the main office. They would check the back end to see if they balanced. A review of the jounal was not performed.

My current bank has quarterly cash counts by the supervisor and I (the auditor) perform an annual one. We don't look at the journal unless there is a problem. We do verify debits and credits the next day to see if they are in balance. Usually, this is where you will see something strange, if they are doing something they shouldn't.

Return to Top
#269189 - 11/01/04 08:10 PM Re: Auditing teller drawers
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Once a month all tellers, including the head teller are "surprise" cash counted.

Return to Top
#269190 - 11/01/04 09:39 PM Re: Auditing teller drawers
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Quarterly surprise audits by an audit assistant not working or directly involved with any branch personnel. Also, quarterly cash vault audits and cross referenced journal entries/logs with teller's cash in and outs.

Return to Top
#269191 - 11/03/04 09:53 PM Re: Auditing teller drawers
Anonymous
Unregistered

We do quarterly surprise detailed counts and monthly surprise bundle counts of all tellers, including the vault teller.

Return to Top
#269192 - 11/04/04 06:53 PM Re: Auditing teller drawers
Cathy P Offline
Gold Star
Cathy P
NE
I, as the compliance officer, along with an operations assistant count each teller drawer quarterly, plus the vaults and ATM's at our branches.

Return to Top
#269193 - 11/04/04 08:21 PM Re: Auditing teller drawers
AKauditor Offline
Alaska
We have 42 branches. All supplies are counted on a surprise basis monthly by someone in the branch without cash access. We review the cash counts during our normal audits. Audit doesn't count cash unless there appears to be a problem. We do track and research large unlocated outages as they occur.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z