Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#271698 - 11/12/04 07:18 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I am not interested in an elitest system. There are plenty of very wealthy but very bad parents. My son's best friend has nothing. His mother is a nurse and his is a construction when he feels like it. The kid is brilliant and very well mannered. His mother would not have it any other way. (I will make sure this kid gets to college.) I am afraid the voucher system will put kids like this at a disadvantage.

Return to Top
#271699 - 11/12/04 07:36 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
How does a voucher system put these kids at a disadvantage when the vouchers go to the low and middle class, not to the upper income earners?

Return to Top
#271700 - 11/12/04 07:41 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I replied to Omega, but it isn't showing up. I asked how this child would be put at a disadvantage, especially when he has an involved parent to make sure his voucher is used to obtain the best education possible? (I can see an argument that vouchers would not help the children of disinterest parents - I disagree, on the belief that competition would force ALL schools to be better, but I can see the thought behind the argument.)

Return to Top
#271701 - 11/12/04 07:46 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

How does a voucher system put these kids at a disadvantage when the vouchers go to the low and middle class, not to the upper income earners?

The system is impractical in rural America. This kid already spends an hour on a bus to get to the closest school. How does this kid get to another school without spending half his life on a bus?

The theory that new schools will just pop up is just not going to happen here.

Let our schools spend more time on teaching and less time proving someone's theory of education. We only get one shot with these kids and can not afford to mess it up. To borrow a phrase from ages past "BAN THE TESTING".

Return to Top
#271702 - 11/12/04 07:50 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

You don't have any church schools in your state?

Return to Top
#271703 - 11/12/04 08:36 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
In my state rural children would have no option except boarding schools. There is no possible way to have more than one school in the villages. Vouchers make sense in larger communities, but in small communities, you're not going to see several schools (church or not) spring up because of the competition. Financially it's just reasonable.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#271704 - 11/12/04 08:41 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Ok, but the children most in need of vouchers aren't in rural areas. They are in inner cities.

Return to Top
#271705 - 11/12/04 08:46 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
There are some very low quality schools in rural areas Jokerman. Lack of access leads often to lack of quality, or rotating door positions with no committment to the children in the community. There needs to be a better answer, and maybe it's a mix of better funding AND vouchers, but vouchers alone won't solve things.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#271706 - 11/12/04 09:28 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

There are some very low quality schools in rural areas Jokerman. Lack of access leads often to lack of quality, or rotating door positions with no committment to the children in the community. There needs to be a better answer, and maybe it's a mix of better funding AND vouchers, but vouchers alone won't solve things.

Sounds like you need to overpay your teachers to get them to move to the land of 1 day a year!

Return to Top
#271707 - 11/12/04 10:08 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

Quote:

You don't have any church schools in your state?

Very few. Iowa schools rank so high that people don't see the need. Most of the church schools are well below the public schools because they they can not attract decent teachers. Teachers make the difference and that is why I sleep with one on a regular basis.

Vouchers only begin to make sense in urban areas.

Return to Top
#271708 - 11/12/04 10:25 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Vouchers only begin to make sense in urban areas.

The market makes sense everywhere. The need for it is simply more pronounced in the inner cities.

Return to Top
#271709 - 11/15/04 08:29 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

.... Michael, given your statement about the US not needing Europe...who are you going to sell this stuff to? ....

Speaking as a recent immigrant from Britain, what, exactly, do you think is made in the US and sold in Britain and Europe? Apart from a few cars (BMWs and Honda Accords), I'm hard pushed to think of anything much made by Uncle Sam and sold in Britain.

Electronics, and clothes and shoes, are either made locally or bought in from India, Pakistan, and the Far East. Furniture, and appliances are mostly made "locally" in Europe.

American beef can't be sold in Europe, because of the growth hormones used here, and there is some (mostly Californian) wines imported to Britain, a small amount of bourbob whiskey, and a little fruit, but overall the US doesn't present much of a display of consumables to Britain and Europe.

Return to Top
#271710 - 11/15/04 11:30 PM Re: "W" II - Not all bad for dems.
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

Quote:

.... Michael, given your statement about the US not needing Europe...who are you going to sell this stuff to? ....

Speaking as a recent immigrant from Britain, what, exactly, do you think is made in the US and sold in Britain and Europe? Apart from a few cars (BMWs and Honda Accords), I'm hard pushed to think of anything much made by Uncle Sam and sold in Britain.

Electronics, and clothes and shoes, are either made locally or bought in from India, Pakistan, and the Far East. Furniture, and appliances are mostly made "locally" in Europe.

American beef can't be sold in Europe, because of the growth hormones used here, and there is some (mostly Californian) wines imported to Britain, a small amount of bourbob whiskey, and a little fruit, but overall the US doesn't present much of a display of consumables to Britain and Europe.

If not US products, maybe US technology. The fact remains that it isolationism does not make good economic sense.

On a side note: How good is the beef in Britain?

I would put Iowa natural corn-fed beef up against the world. (I have not tried the Japanese beef. )

Return to Top
#271711 - 12/03/04 11:17 PM Rummy re-ups.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

I believe that Bush was feed bad analysis of bad intel. Rumsfeld will not be the only one getting a gold watch.

We'll have to see - I think Bush will keep him if he wants to stay.

Per Reuters (the "news" agency that isn't sure what a "terrorist" is), Rumsfeld has been asked and has agreed to serve in President Bush's cabinet during his second term. I thank him for his continued service.

Return to Top
#271712 - 12/06/04 05:01 PM Re: Rummy re-ups.
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Granted it would be tough to get somone else up to speed. (Think small cirlcle.) Maybe it is his attitude I don't like. Maybe he did give W the goods and he is now being compensated for taking some of the heat of the Pres. Maybe I have too much to do to be posting anything!

Return to Top
#271713 - 12/06/04 05:14 PM Re: Rummy re-ups.
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Let our schools spend more time on teaching and less time proving someone's theory of education. We only get one shot with these kids and can not afford to mess it up.

Omega--the folks in charge of education have been spending the past 40 years trying to prove various theories of teaching. That is what caused the voucher proposal in the first place. To tell those who think the public education system was broken by all that tinkering not to test their own theory is laughable at best. And at worst, it is hypocritical and maddening.

My children will enter a public school system next year that is nothing like the public schools I attended. Unfortunately, that is not a good thing. After years of messing with system, why do you now tell voucher supporters to leave the broken system alone? Or have you been voicing your opposition to tinkering for the last 40 years???

I won't benefit from a voucher system, but I don't understand what looks like a double standard.

I wish I could list the institutions that have been broken over the last 40 years through social tinkering, but I haven't the time.

Return to Top
#271714 - 12/06/04 07:15 PM Re: Rummy re-ups.
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Are you happy about the public education in your area? What we have is very good and I still don't like it. It is the parents responsibility to challenge the kids. A great deal of the funding for TAG is now paying for NCLB. It is up to the parents to teach the humanities. We have lost sight of what is important.

My third grader came home with a "note to the parents". "If your child fails to complete the Rocket Math worksheet everynight, they will be forced to miss recess." I want to tell the school where to put the "rocket math". I think I will.

Return to Top
#271715 - 12/06/04 07:30 PM Re: Rummy re-ups.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Omega's education plan: Leave a few children behind to save money for the smart ones.

Return to Top
#271716 - 12/06/04 07:35 PM Re: Rummy re-ups.
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

"If your child fails to complete the Rocket Math worksheet everynight, they will be forced to miss recess." I want to tell the school where to put the "rocket math". I think I will.

Oh, come on Omega--homework is the answer to everything. I don't have kids in school yet, but I am around plenty of parent who do. I understand that even kindergarteners have homework. That is CRAZY. Can't anyone see that?

Return to Top
#271717 - 12/06/04 08:45 PM Re: Rummy re-ups.
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

Quote:

"If your child fails to complete the Rocket Math worksheet everynight, they will be forced to miss recess." I want to tell the school where to put the "rocket math". I think I will.

Oh, come on Omega--homework is the answer to everything. I don't have kids in school yet, but I am around plenty of parent who do. I understand that even kindergarteners have homework. That is CRAZY. Can't anyone see that?

I sleep with a secondary math teacher that thinks rocket math is a joke. They are turning these kids off to math. We can't afford to do that.

On another note: If anybody out there is going to Firenza, check out the Science Museum. Lots of cool math stuff. My wife enjoyed it more than the Ufuzi. (She is a nerd. ) It is accross the street from the river andis just down the street from the Ufuzi.

Return to Top
#271718 - 12/06/04 10:12 PM Re: Rummy re-ups.
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
My mother was a teacher for many years and loved teaching the students, even the "bad" kids, but she hated the administration. In my state sports is a high priority, as well as, "getting" kids to pass. She finally left the secondary schools because the admin. told her that her test were too hard and she needed to make them easier so that more kids could pass. She was also told that she needed to give extra credit assignments for athletes in her class so that they could bring up their grade and play in the next game. So because my mother wouldn't give in, they moved the jocks to a teacher that would.

I feel that the educational system is weakening itself by making classes and test easier so kids will pass rather than keeping the test the same and grading the kids accordingly. That is why, in my opinion, kids are not taking responsibility for their mistakes. If by complaining they could get better grades and easier test, they think the same should apply in real life.

Well, that's my rant for the day.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett