BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#272761 - 11/09/04 02:27 AM My FRiends in South Africa
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
To any of my friends in South Africa, if you send me an email and and it starts with an introduction of who and where you are, I won't get to the second paragraph before it hits the trash. So please start it off with something like "Yo dude, how you been. BOL is the best and I have a question..." That will be so much better than, "I am MR.ABEL MAKARTA, CHIEF AUDITOR of The NBS BANK OF SOUTH AFRICA..." or "May it not be a surprise to receive this letter from me, considering the fact that you do not know me?", or "BILLS AND EXCHANGE, FOREIGN REMITTANCE DEPT. ABSA BANK. I Am MR.John Zuma, the Manager of bills/exchange..."
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#272762 - 11/09/04 03:21 AM Re: My FRiends in South Africa
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LOL Who wants to bet Andy received a bunch of emails this week from his "friends"

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#272763 - 11/11/04 03:04 AM Re: My FRiends in South Africa
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Can you imagine how many people would be out of a job if the Nigerians ever became honest?

Return to Top
#272764 - 11/11/04 04:38 AM Re: My FRiends in South Africa
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Hey Andy, I've been receiving some fascinating correspondence from official folks in Africa. Can I forward some of it to you? They promise me that I will become very, very rich. We could share.....

Return to Top
#272765 - 11/11/04 05:22 PM Re: My Friends in South Africa
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As much as I appreciate new pen pals, I wouldn't know what to do with all that money. You can keep your letters, please. They have increased in number, or so it seems. I want to reach inside the net and slap some of these folks.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#272766 - 11/12/04 01:01 AM Re: My Friends in South Africa
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out www.scamorama.com for a good laugh!

Return to Top
#272767 - 11/12/04 03:55 PM Re: My FRiends in South Africa
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Can you imagine how many people would be out of a job if the Nigerians ever became honest?

In case you are blind, Andy was referring to South Africans, not Nigerian. By the way, I happen to be a Nigerian-born, living in America. Every now and again, I receive those letters that even my 5-year old son can recognize as fraudulent. But greed has a choke hold on us in America that even Harvard professors have fallen victim to these letters. Can you imagine, Harvard professors!!!

There are honest people in Nigeria, just as we have them here in America. Unfortunately, people like you smear an entire people for the actions of the few. But, you forget it is greed in Americans that fuels the actions of those you complain about. And before you complain about dishonest Nigerian, ever wonder who creates the very thing that come back to hunt us.

Return to Top
#272768 - 11/12/04 04:07 PM Re: My FRiends in South Africa
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Actually, I'd almost bet that the people doing these scams aren't even Nigerian.....

Return to Top
#272769 - 11/12/04 04:28 PM Re: My FRiends in South Africa
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
Some likely are, some not. I believe that I read somewhere awhile back that the 419 scam was one of the top industries in Nigeria, something like 4th or 5th. I can't name the cite, so don't take that as gospel, just my two cents worth.

Return to Top
#272770 - 11/12/04 05:40 PM Re: My FRiends in South Africa
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Yes, there are ethnic groups involved in International fraud schemes that are only of late, becoming more newsworthy.

I suggest doing a Google search on 419 fraud, Nigerian Fraud, advance fee fraud, etc., and compare how many of the responses relate to Nigeria compared to other countries or regions.

For more than 30 years, the Nigerian government has sponsored fraud as a form of economic terrorism, not only here in the US, but around the world.

All forms of fraud play on the three Gs; greed, good will and gullibility.

The three top groups targeted by law enforcement fraud task forces are West Africans, Nigerians, and the Russians.

I have not the the national bank of any country outside of Nigeria place adds in foreign newspapers warning of "tricksters" committing fraud.

I still have copies of this if you would like to see it!

Return to Top