Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#275270 - 11/16/04 02:33 PM Public Service Announcement
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
The weather yesterday was wet and dreary. The traffic was worse. The accidents worse still. Three people died last night in the Austin area. I have lost 2 good friends from college to traffic accidents. Both in SUV rollovers. Because of that, I won't drive a Ford Explorer or their clones. I have had a couple of close calls myself--once I almost drove my car through a stop sign and out into a busy street due to teenaged stupidity, I have accidentally run red lights on a couple of occasions (just thankful there was no cross traffic), I have did a 360 in my car on two different occasions. Does anyone else have a sobering story to keep us vigilant while driving?

Return to Top
#275271 - 11/16/04 02:37 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Andy, that's terrible. When I was young, I was attempting to pull out of a Big O Tire store. It was raining and dreary and I had a headache. I couldn't see beyond the tires so I 'guessed' and pulled out. Well I was broadsided by a large car (I was driving a Chevette) and pushed into a telephone pole. I was not wearing a seat belt. I cut the back of my head badly on the driver's window as I broke it. Luckily I wasn't hurt too badly. Just stiff and sore, although it took about 2 days for my head to quit bleeding totally (I wouldn't go to the hospital). Later, I found out I was pregnant at the time.

Return to Top
#275272 - 11/16/04 02:41 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

The weather yesterday was wet and dreary. The traffic was worse. The accidents worse still. Three people died last night in the Austin area. I have lost 2 good friends from college to traffic accidents. Both in SUV rollovers. Because of that, I won't drive a Ford Explorer or their clones. I have had a couple of close calls myself--once I almost drove my car through a stop sign and out into a busy street due to teenaged stupidity, I have accidentally run red lights on a couple of occasions (just thankful there was no cross traffic), I have did a 360 in my car on two different occasions. Does anyone else have a sobering story to keep us vigilant while driving?

Since I drive a Ford Explorer, your stories are sobering enough. I'm always careful driving because of the increased chance of a rollover. Thanks for the reminder though Z.

Return to Top
#275273 - 11/16/04 04:47 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
Advice from the Queen of Car Problems

Don't ever try to pass a garbage truck! They might be trying to turn left and not using their blinker. And the really bad thing is that the cops and garbage collectors work for the same people so they will all say it's your fault! urg

Also my alternator has gone out so many times I've lost count. When your alternator goes out, you cannot steer, you cannot drive, you cannot put your flashers on, you cannot roll your window down. So if you see a car stopped in the middle of the road, it would be nice to help them instead of flipping them off!

Always carry a disposable camera in your car in case of an accident.

Do not use cruise control on wet roads or you may hydroplane.

My dad always said I would be better off marrying a mechanic than a banker! : )

Return to Top
#275274 - 11/16/04 05:55 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Cathy P Offline
Gold Star
Cathy P
NE
I too have had the experience of having an alternator fail on a busy downtown street during the noonhour. I couldn't use hazards (as you stated) and I was waiting for the tow truck. People weren't really very pleasant. The tow truck didn't arrive until 40 minutes after I called them.

Return to Top
#275275 - 11/16/04 06:19 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
If you live in the North, this is the time of year to SLOW DOWN! A wet road can freeze over in a matter of seconds. Two years ago we heard a loud noise in out front yard. When we went out to check on it we discovered that a Ford Explorer had hit some ice and flipped over in our front yard. The woman driving was thankfully not injured badly, but she did have to be removed from the car through the sun roof.

Return to Top
#275276 - 11/16/04 06:32 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

If you live in the North, this is the time of year to SLOW DOWN! A wet road can freeze over in a matter of seconds. Two years ago we heard a loud noise in out front yard. When we went out to check on it we discovered that a Ford Explorer had hit some ice and flipped over in our front yard. The woman driving was thankfully not injured badly, but she did have to be removed from the car through the sun roof.

OK, between Z and Skinner's Explorer stories, it's time to trade it in for a Volvo truck or something.

Return to Top
#275277 - 11/16/04 06:41 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England

OK, between Z and Skinner's Explorer stories, it's time to trade it in for a Volvo truck or something.

Pam...I drive an SUV myself, not an Explorer, and I think they are pretty safe. The thing to remember is that they are not a car and do not handle like a car....you have to drive them like a truck!

Return to Top
#275278 - 11/16/04 06:41 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

Quote:

We have deer in full rut and corn harvesting at the same time. Two years ago I hit a large doe doing about 65 mph (my car, not the deer ) I was in the left lane and the doe was stradling the center line pointed left. I downshifted and changed to the right lane. So did she.

Air bag blew (I thought my Saturn was on fire.) Big dent in hood the shape of the deer but we were all OK.

I am not a fan of SUVs. Many of them would have rolled in the lane change and you can not be sure the deer will not end up comming through the windshield. An Explorer is not a Peterbuilt.

Return to Top
#275279 - 11/16/04 06:44 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Sure, I have a story.

My brother, at age 25, was a passenger in a vehicle that was creamed by a tractor trailer on the G W Bridge. He was so mutilated that my parents had to identify him at the morgue, they could only tell that it was him by the scar on his belly that he got when he was a baby. It still brings tears to my eyes. And I still won't go to NYC by that bridge.

Return to Top
#275280 - 11/16/04 06:58 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm so sorry, Maria. That must have been absolutely terrible to go through and I can't imagine the pain you and your family endured.

Return to Top
#275281 - 11/16/04 07:39 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Maria..that's just so tragic. I'm sorry.

Stories..oh boy:

1) flipped end-over-end in VW beetle on hard road. All 4 of us survived with minor injuries. No seat belts.

2) Secretary killed less than 5 years ago, one child paralized, the other one okay.

3) Same intersection - one month later...neighbor's 8 yr old son (close friends)was killed, daughter (Jacob's sister) injured. I still carry his picture in my checkbook.

4) Close friend who jockied one of my barrel horses, 20 yrs old...has been at Shands in FL for the past month and is still there..head-on collision. Car totally demolished. She has a crushed leg, broken leg, broken arm, broken pelvis and broken hips. Man that hit her died. He was on way back from FL to pick up tux for his daughter's wedding 2 days later. Neither had been drinking....he ran off road, overcorrected, hit her and then rolled over her car with his pickup. She was wearing a seatbelt and had airbag...he was not wearing seatbelt and was partially ejected.

4) Sunday...8 teenagers from a neighboring town were headed to a local theme park...took a curve to sharp..rolled the Jeep Cherokee (pay attention to # of kids and type of vehicle)...all were either ejected or partially ejected...15 yr old boy killed at scene...others taken to hospital. 16 yr old driver pending charges.

5) Fiance's son has totaled 3 trucks..all single vehicle accidents..no seatbelt..has walked away from each one...so when does his luck run out?

It's getting ridiculous folks. Very scarey.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#275282 - 11/16/04 08:15 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Maria..that's just so tragic. I'm sorry.

Stories..oh boy:

1) flipped end-over-end in VW beetle on hard road. All 4 of us survived with minor injuries. No seat belts.

2) Secretary killed less than 5 years ago, one child paralized, the other one okay.

3) Same intersection - one month later...neighbor's 8 yr old son (close friends)was killed, daughter (Jacob's sister) injured. I still carry his picture in my checkbook.

4) Close friend who jockied one of my barrel horses, 20 yrs old...has been at Shands in FL for the past month and is still there..head-on collision. Car totally demolished. She has a crushed leg, broken leg, broken arm, broken pelvis and broken hips. Man that hit her died. He was on way back from FL to pick up tux for his daughter's wedding 2 days later. Neither had been drinking....he ran off road, overcorrected, hit her and then rolled over her car with his pickup. She was wearing a seatbelt and had airbag...he was not wearing seatbelt and was partially ejected.

4) Sunday...8 teenagers from a neighboring town were headed to a local theme park...took a curve to sharp..rolled the Jeep Cherokee (pay attention to # of kids and type of vehicle)...all were either ejected or partially ejected...15 yr old boy killed at scene...others taken to hospital. 16 yr old driver pending charges.

5) Fiance's son has totaled 3 trucks..all single vehicle accidents..no seatbelt..has walked away from each one...so when does his luck run out?

It's getting ridiculous folks. Very scarey.

I actually have three more friends who have rolled Explorer-like SUVs, but they were not injured. The second worst accident scene I ever had the displeasure of passing involved an Explorer rolled over on the highway. The roof was all the way to top of the seats. I don't know the outcome.

I choose to not drive them and won't allow my wife to drive one. When I say "allow" I mean that it takes two to make a car buying decision in our family and an Explorer-like SUV will never get my approval for transporting my wife and children.

I have another SUV, but it is too darn gruesome to tell. This involved college students who were not driving the SUV responsibly on a hill--rollover death.

Return to Top
#275283 - 11/17/04 04:54 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
My story isn't SUV specific, but very tragic nonetheless.

I was working at a small community bank about 5 years ago and one of our mortgage loan originators was late for a meeting. No one thought much of it, but he didn't call in sick so people started wondering. Someone's husband who worked for the county called her and told her he there was a terrible accident that took out a power pole & the stop sign (he was called out to replace the sign). Still no one makes a connection. A couple hours later, the HR person's husband (who is a County deputy) came in and told us about the accident. Fire involved. Looked like a pickup and a car - no idea of make/model/color. Couldn't identify the bodies. Then it started to click . . . Jeff drove a mini black pickup and the accident was on his way to work. Called his house . . . no answer . . . called his parents (he was single). . . they went to his house and he wasn't home. They finally were able to find a VIN on the remains of his truck hours later and eventually positively identified him through dental records.

No one really knows what happened for certain, but they suspect that the car didn't know that his road came to an end (T-intersection). Jeff was driving down the road and they think was broadsided by the car - Jeff's car hit the power pole. Not sure if the impact caused the fires or if the pole caused the fire.

From a bank perspective, we learned quickly that one hand should know what the other is doing. He had several loans in the pipeline and we had a very poor tracking mechanism in place. Caused a lot of problems with customers.

Drive defensively like your life depends on it because sometimes it does.

Return to Top
#275284 - 11/17/04 08:44 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Grey Bird Offline
New Poster
West Virginia USA
I have a miracle story to tell. A year ago my neice was in a wreck with 2 fatalities. She was in an S10 pickup stuck in traffic on an interstate bridge. She said she looked up and saw what looked like a semi on fire heading right at her and she had nowhere to go. The semi hit her, knocked her into 2 vehicles, hit her again, drug her a bit, turned her loose to hit another couple of vehicles, then it ran over the passenger side of her truck and the crank underneath the semi impaled her engine and drug her some more, finally turned her loose again and she hit another van before she stopped. She found out later that the semi had originally hit a car and killed the driver instantly and was dragging his car along the bridge causing sparks (the fire she saw). The last vehicle the semi hit was another truck and it hit so hard it buckled both doors and dislocated both shoulders of the driver. His truck was on fire and he couldn't get out. People tried but the fire was too much and he told everyone to just get back before it blew up (he was the second fatality). The police said the crunch test on my neice's vehicle said he was doing 95 mph when he hit her and if she had been in her car (a cavalier) she would have died. What was amazing to me was that there was nothing left of the tail section, engine section, or passenger section of the truck. The only place safe was the spot where she sat and....she wasn't wearing a seat belt. She had friction burns on the back of her legs and a gash on her right wrist that needed surgery (cut to the bone and full of glass). She was on the way to our church because she was co-leader of the upcoming Bible School and was working on perparations. She had borrowed her aunt's truck for a couple of days and the aunt couldn't use it because she was in a nursing home dying from tetanus.

Oh, and another thing, we drive an SUV (Buick Rendezvous) and I feel pretty secure with it but before we had a RAV 4 and I was extra cautious with it. My husband says the people who have the worst time with hydroplaning are those who have those little tires instead of normal size ones.

Return to Top
#275285 - 11/17/04 09:19 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
PMH Offline
100 Club
Buffalo, NY
When my husband & I lived in our first apartment, we awoke very early in the morning to a house-shaking clatter. We both bolted upright in bed. He rushed to the kitchen window to see if he could make out what had happened. The telephone lines were shaking. Looking down into our neighbor's front yard, he saw a car sheared in two by our neighbor's tree. I dialed 911. Being as selfless as he is, my husband jumped down the stairs and ran to the car with our fire extinguisher in hand. I looked out the window to see him quickly empty the extinguisher onto the sparking car. It was obvious that someone was pinned behind the wheel. My husband jerked the driver side door, but it was jammed. He ran to the passenger door and yanked it open. Smoke began to pour out of the interior of the car. It seemed like a very long time had passed since I called the police, but still no sirens were audible. Finally, I heard a siren wail and saw the reflection of lights from down the street. A police car arrived and my husband backed out of the car and ran to the officer. They quickly emptied the extinguisher he had too. I could see that my husband's face was dirty and he was beginning to panic. Then he and the officer tried to pull open the driver side door. Not too long after that, the volunteer firemen rolled up, and put out the electrical fire that had started in the dashboard. My husband & I watched as the volunteers tried to help extract the driver, but he was impaled on the steering column. The image of his body gasping and sputtering for air is one I will never forget. But if he had not hit that tree, he would have plowed into my elderly neighbor's bedroom as they slept. As it turns out, the driver's son was a classmate of my little cousin. The driver was drunk and taking a back road home at 4 am, probably trying to evade the police in the first place. How is that for a PSA?

Return to Top
#275286 - 11/17/04 10:19 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too have a miracle story. About 2 months ago as I was speeding up to get on the interstate the van in front of me slammed on their brakes. Fortunately I was about 5 car lengths behind and did slow from 70 to maybe 45 before hitting them. My car was totalled, but no serious injuries including my 1 month old baby in the back seat (carseat of course). The miracle is neither the van nor my car swerved left or right and although my motor was all but falling out both vehicles stopped on the shoulder. The traffic in the fast lane when we were merging/accelerating was very congested and the terrain just past the shoulder is very steep. The vehicles would have rolled a long way had we not stopped. I still cannot remember all the details of what happened. The police report says it was not my fault, that a vehicle in front of the van stopped suddenly to avoid hitting a vehicle slowly moving on the shoulder and slow lane - collision was unavoidable. I thank God my wife and three girls were unharmed other than scrapes and bruises.

Return to Top
#275287 - 11/18/04 07:18 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
It may be gruesome to tell these stories, but I think they ought to be told and retold to keep it in the forefront that cars are inherently dangerous. If the manufacturers tried to get the government to approve them today, it would never happen. They'd be taken off the market. I can just see the company rep trying to sell the idea to the government:

Government rep. (GR): So, tell me about this machine you have invented.

Company rep. (CR): Well its a vehicle that runs on fossil fuels. There will be a variety of sizes and styles.

GR: Tell me about these sizes and styles.

CR: Well some will be about the size of your desk here, but taller for the person to sit in. And some will be larger than a railroad car.

GR: And both of these models will share the same roadway?

CR: Yes.

GR: Sometimes in opposite directions?

CR: Yes.

GR: How are these thing kept on the road. Is there some track like a locomotive? You know even those behemoths things have jumped the track occasionally?

CR: Yes, yes, I know. Our vehicles do not require a track. They will run on asphalt roads.

GR: In both directions on the same road?

CR: Yeah.

GR: What separates them?

CR: A yellow or white line.

GR: How does that line separate them?

CR: Well, the people in the vehicle are required to stay on the right side of the line at all times.

GR: And what if they don't?

Well, you get the idea. If you want to continue the GR and CR conversation, feel free to.

Return to Top
#275288 - 11/18/04 07:42 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
For every car accident, there are thousands and thousands of cars travelling on the roads that aren't in wrecks. Cars are no more dangerous than phones. Phones can be used (improperly) to club someone over the head, and talking on the phone during a thunderstorm can put you at risk.

The VEHICLE is not inherently dangerous, improper usage of the vehicle is.

Return to Top
#275289 - 11/18/04 10:09 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

For every car accident, there are thousands and thousands of cars travelling on the roads that aren't in wrecks. Cars are no more dangerous than phones. Phones can be used (improperly) to club someone over the head, and talking on the phone during a thunderstorm can put you at risk.

The VEHICLE is not inherently dangerous, improper usage of the vehicle is.

First, your phone example makes no sense. Anything can be used as an intentional deadly or injurous weapon. Are you tired today--that was not even close to reason.

Your statement is so untrue. I agree that many or most accidents are caused by improper usage--speeding, DWI, doing something else while driving. However, so long as a fallible human is behind the wheel of a car, it is inherently dangerous instrument. What if I am driving down the road at the posted speed limit and a child runs right out in front of me. What do I have: Proper usage and dead or badly injured child. OK, I'm driving down the road and the car in front of me does something stupid that kills me--proper usage of my car and I'm still dead. If you are assuming proper usage of ALL automobiles, your hypothesis is flawed because I can't make everyone else use their vehicle properly. OK, I'm driving down the road at the posted speed and my car has been properly maintained. My rear tire blows out and I die. Proper usage; I'm still dead.

With proper usage, a car is still inherently dangerous. To treat driving a car any other way is dangerous.

Michael your statement is just plain flawed. There are so many things that can go wrong with an a car driven properly.

AHHHHHH!!! Someone is attacking me with a phone! HELP!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#275290 - 11/18/04 10:40 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:

The VEHICLE is not inherently dangerous

Michael's statement is correct. Circumstances, improper usage, weather, there's all sorts of things that can cause accidents but in and of itself, a car, which is an inadament object, does not. Some perform better under the stress of accidents than others and that's where this whole thread started.

Planes, trains, cars, walking across the street, there are millions of ways to get hurt. Let's stop arguing about the silly stuff. The heart of this thread is "BE AWARE AND BE CAREFUL!"

Return to Top
#275291 - 11/18/04 11:17 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
My bad: I should have said, "use of a motor vehicle is inherently dangerous." I still disagree that it has to be improper use, but I agree that it is silly to argue about. I think we all can agree that no one, absolutely no one is capable of driving a car 10,000 - 20,000 miles a year and always do so "properly." I think we can also agree that at any time, while operating a motor vehicle we can be injured or killed, regardless of competence of operation. Surely, incompetent operation increases the chances of injury or death.

I will say though that I don't think anyone has ever died from telephoning while drunk, sad, depressed, distraught, or inattentive.
Last edited by -Z-; 11/19/04 04:22 AM.

Return to Top
#275292 - 11/19/04 02:46 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Driving drunk, sad, depressed, distraught, or inattentive IS improper use of the vehicle.

If you are driving carefully and a child jumps in front of you, is it the VEHICLE'S fault or the CHILD'S fault? If a child jumps off the roof of a building, you have a dead or severely injured child. The ROOF isn't at fault!

And yes, my example of the phone IS logical. Absurd, but just as logical as a car being the dangerous inherently flawed weapon. Perhaps you would have prefered I use the example of a curling iron. When plugged in, it gets hot. It can be used improperly to burn people.

Return to Top
#275293 - 11/19/04 03:29 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please, lets not argue symantics. Lets use this thread as a means to remind everyone to drive safely. Here are some pointers.

-Always wear your seat belt. ALWAYS.
-Buckle children in a car seat, and do it properly.
-Don't talk on the phone. (or get a hands-free unit)
-Don't drive with your dog on your lap. (sorry dog owners, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen)
-Don't do your makeup while driving. (okay, probably dumber than the dog thing)
-Don't shave while driving.
-Don't read while driving.
-Don't have your stereo so loud you can't hear traffic.
-Obey the rules of the road.
-Drive defensively.
-Don't get angry and upset at other drivers, just stay out of their way.
-Be kind to other drivers - let them in front of you, wave at them if they let you in.
-Use your blinker when turning, changing lanes, etc.
-Don't speed. 5 mph more won't get you there any faster!!!

Return to Top
#275294 - 11/19/04 03:37 PM Re: Public Service Announcement
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Dude. Fault is not the issue with inherent danger. Regardless of whether the child or the driver is at fault. It is inherently dangerous.

Also, the issue is not improper use. Driving is the proper use. The issue is perfection. Do you drive perfectly? No. No one does. Now, with your phone example--if I use it for its proper purpose--to make a phone call, but I don't do it perfectly, no chance of anyone being physically harmed by the phone itself. However, if I drive a car (its proper purpose), but I don't do it perfectly--everytime I am less than perfect there is a chance of an injury or death.

A car driving 5, 10, 15, 25 mph can kill a pedestrian. The odds of pedestrian death go up greatly from 30 - 40 MPH. Remember that the next time you are speeding in a residential area. I have seen stats on this and the death rate difference for pedestrians hit by cars going 30 and cars going 40 is astounding.

Michael-I don't expect us to agree. We both like arguing too much to give any credence to each others arguments. I am sure there is credence to your points, but I am not going to acknowledge them.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett