Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#277966 - 11/22/04 12:08 AM Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Auditman Offline
100 Club
Due to contradictory language in the statute, there have been differences of opinion about how much credit score information must be provided. The statute initially says to provide the five items in subsection (f) for a score from a CRA, but later, in paragraph (g)(1)(E), it seems to say only two of those five (the credit score and key factors) must be provided by a lender.

There is a section-by-section analysis of the Act that was introduced in the Congressional Record of December 8, 2003 (after the law was passed) by Representatives Oxley and Bachus. It's also called a Conference Report on H.R. 2622. I located it at the Government Printing Office web site. It's in the "Extensions of Remarks" part of that day's Congressional Record, in pages E2512 through E2519.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to establish a link for it here. (Maybe someone else knows how.) I just hope I'm describing all this correctly.

Anyhow, it provides, in plainer language than the statute, explanations of various sections that may help establish "congressional intent."

As I read the part about Section 212, it sounds to me like a lender using a CRA score is supposed to provide the "five items."

Return to Top
#277967 - 11/22/04 12:30 AM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Link

Give it time. Not the fastest loading document!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#277968 - 11/22/04 02:20 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
Thank you for the information. Dry reading but helpful

Return to Top
#277969 - 11/22/04 02:35 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Anonymous
Unregistered

But on E2515 it states that mortgage lenders are not required to disclose "any information other than the credit score or negative key factor....." I am still uncertain what is required.

Return to Top
#277970 - 11/22/04 09:22 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
tjbanker Offline
Gold Star
Key factors adversely affecting credit score. Do you just state the reason given in the credit report ex: too many inquiries in the last twelve months - or do you include the numerical and verbiage - 0008 - to many inquiries in the last twelve months? What if some of the factors are different on a tri-merge between the three companies? What do I take as the top four factors? Thanks for any help.

Return to Top
#277971 - 11/22/04 09:49 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Anonymous
Unregistered

You list the four (possibly five) adverse factors for each repository. If you utilize a tri-merge, then up to 15 factors may be listed. The fifth factor being number of inquiries, if it is listed by a repository.

Return to Top
#277972 - 11/22/04 10:21 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

But on E2515 it states that mortgage lenders are not required to disclose "any information other than the credit score or negative key factor....." I am still uncertain what is required.

Page E2514

If a consumer applies for a mortgage loan, and the mortgage lender uses a credit score in connection with an application by the consumer for a closed end loan or establishment of an open end consumer loan secured by 1 to 4 units of residential real property, then the mortgage lender is required to provide the consumer with a free copy of the consumer’s credit score. In addition, the lender must provide a copy of the information on the range of scores possible, the top 4 negative key factors used, the date the score was created, and the name of the company providing the underlying file or score, to the extent that the information is obtained from a consumer reporting agency or developed and used by the lender.

Page E2515

A mortgage lender that uses an automated underwriting system to underwrite a loan or otherwise obtains a credit score from someone other than a consumer reporting agency may satisfy their obligation to provide the consumer with a credit score by disclosing a credit score and associated key factors supplied by a consumer reporting agency. However, if the lender uses a numerical credit score generated by an automated underwriting system used by the Federal National Mortgage Association or the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation or their affiliates, and the score is disclosed to the lender, then that score must be disclosed by the lender to the consumer.

Mortgage lenders are not required by this section to explain the credit score and the related copy of information provided to the consumer, to disclose any information other than the credit score or negative key factor, disclose any credit score or related information obtained by the lender after a loan has closed, provide more than 1 disclosure per loan transaction, or provide an additional score disclosure when another person has already made the disclosure to the consumer for that loan transaction.

This is how I see it.

If you do not use an Automated Underwriting System (ADS), and your decision is based on the CBA's score, then you must provide all the information listed in subsection (f) for the credit score, the one used in your decision. (Basically subsection A)

If you use an ADS you can satisfy the requirement by just providing the score and key factors supplied by the CRA. BUT if your ADS generates a score, and that score is disclosed, the score used in your decision, your disclosure must be consistent with subsection C. (Basically subsection B)

If you use a credit score other than one obtained from a CBA, such as an internal credit score, you can meet the requirements by providing the credit score and key factors from the CBA. (Basically subsection C)

Return to Top
#277973 - 11/23/04 03:22 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you just attach a copy of the credit report, or does that violate some other rule?

Return to Top
#277974 - 11/24/04 05:11 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
That's what we plan to do, attach a copy of the first 1-2 pages of the credit report.

Return to Top
#277975 - 11/26/04 02:50 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Notice To The Home Loan Applicant language states "the lender must disclose to you the score that a consumer reporting agency distributed to users and the lender used in connection with your home loan, and the key factors affecting your credit scores." This language just indicates the score and factors - if we are supposed to disclose all 5 of the items in (f), why does this notice only mention 2?

Return to Top
#277976 - 11/26/04 04:30 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
KSalberta Offline
100 Club
KSalberta
GA
Because the other information relates to the main disclosure - that is the score and the key factors. What good is knowing the score if you don't know when the score was generated, whether it is a good or bad score, who provided the score and how to contact that agency? And the language "(ii) disclose any information other than a credit score or key factors, as defined in subsection (f)" seems to incorporate all five items described in (f), although that's not a legal opinion.

It seems that the intent was that the consumer get those five bits of information - the score, the date of the score, the range of scoring, the four factors (plus # of enquiries, if it is prioritized after the first four), and the name, address and phone number of the agency. The lender is free to provide a copy of the information or transcribe it, IMO, but if you get it from the agency you have to give that information to the home loan applicant.

Return to Top
#277977 - 11/26/04 04:55 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was trying to print this information from the Congressional Record but when I do all I get is a blank page. Is there any type of "trick" in Acrobat to printing this? Thanks.

Return to Top
#277978 - 11/26/04 05:21 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try the print icon within the page - not the one on your Microsoft tool bar.

Return to Top
#277979 - 11/26/04 06:44 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Compliance Buzz Offline
Gold Star
NJ
So, if I understand this right, we do not have to provide the notice separately, and at the same time as the other TIL disclosures. Rather, we can send this notice along with a copy of the credit report to the applicant at anytime after we receive the application?

Return to Top
#277980 - 11/26/04 07:19 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
We are not going to provide a copy of the credit report. We will give out the Notice along with initial disclosures with the 5 factors and their credit scores. That's it for us.

Return to Top
#277981 - 11/26/04 08:43 PM Re: Section 212 - Conflicting Provisions
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

we can send this notice along with a copy of the credit report to the applicant at anytime after we receive the application?

I'm not sure I would agree with such a broad statement because the Reg. does say as soon as reasonably practicable.

We will send the disclosures within 3 business days after obtaining the credit report. We feel this is a reasonable time for us to review the report and prepare the disclosures.

Return to Top