Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#28254 - 08/16/02 11:00 PM Do we freeze the accounts?
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
We just heard on the news that one of our depositors has been charged with securities fraud. He has a personal account and a corporate account here. Can/should we freeze either of these accounts, or do we have to wait for writs, levies, attachments, etc to show up?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#28255 - 08/17/02 02:08 AM Re: Do we freeze the accounts?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Why would you take any type of action without a request from some official empowered to do so? Even if you have a loan, there may not be an event of default justifying such action.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#28256 - 08/17/02 12:50 PM Re: Do we freeze the accounts?
A D Virr Offline
Gold Star
Derry, NH
I agree with Andy. Also, consider the possibility of civil action from your borrower. I remember a case a couple of years ago where a bank in the Northeast reneged on a loan commitment because of a rumor supposedly spread by a loose lipped FBI agent. The plaintiff as I recall received a huge settlement. While the circumstances are not the same - the principle of the matter is. Don't take unilateral action unless you are ordered to do so or if you are exercising your rights because of default.

Return to Top
#28257 - 08/18/02 02:39 AM Re: Do we freeze the accounts?
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
That's what I was thinking, too. But it's always good to get a second opinion. Thanks, guys.

Return to Top