Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#28465 - 08/20/02 03:18 PM Salary questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Recently as a result of an OCC recommendation I accepted the position of fulltime compliance officer. Although hired as a branch officer, I came to this community bank, (250 million and 9 branch offices) with experience as a compliance officer with a smiliar size institution. I've reached one of my goals and that is to get back into compliance.

I've been in the compliance position full time since March and although my fault, I never discussed what my increase would be for the job change. I just received my annual merit increase and there was no mention of an increase for the job change. I recieved the same increase I would have received if I were still in a branch.

Anyway... does anyone know a resource that I can use to research salary ranges for compliance officers? I see the MBA has an annual report but I am not sure if it appropriate for me to purchase this for my use. Or can anyone tell me what I should expect!! I feel extremly let down and prior to my conversation with the "powers that be" I want some ammunition! Compliance has never been a major area of attention and I think although I have more responsibilty with this position, it is not an "income generating" position. I'm getting the shaft!

Return to Top
#28466 - 08/20/02 07:25 PM Re: Salary questions
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
The MBA guide (in my impression) is really a tool for HR people to use in setting equivalent salaries by job description. It may not help you make your case, but at least you'd know what other banks pay in similarly-sized markets. There are on-line salary calculators that can help, but I promise they'll just depress you. I look at one periodically that's available through the BOL Launch Pad.

Tip: 'Compliance Officer' isn't under Banking - it's under Legal. Go figure.

In all honesty, this won't help you much either. I can't, for example, take their data to the Board and say "Look! See? I should be making $100,000!!" - even though it's true.

I learned the hard way that the best way to bump your salary is to take the plunge & move to another institution. This has benefits and also costs. Ultimately, it's up to you to demonstrate your worth, and (as an alternative) your marketability. In the real world, though, any employer will pay you the smallest amount possible - unless you play professional baseball.

Return to Top
#28467 - 10/15/02 06:56 AM Re: Salary questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can try here for a salary survey - Salary at Monster.com
As the previous poster stated, you need to search under "Legal Services." There, you will find Compliance positions. Type in your zip code and see what you get.

That has been the most frustrating part of trying to find salary comparisons for Compliance. You generally won't find it under "Banking." It wasn't until a few months ago that I found out I needed to look under "Legal."

Makes sense when I think about it - people are always asking me "Legal" questions, and I have to ask them if they want me to open up a billing with outside counsel!

Return to Top
#28468 - 10/15/02 01:26 PM Re: Salary questions
Howard Lax Offline
Gold Star
Howard Lax
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
At least three institutions in the Detroit area are looking for compliance officers, last I heard. Contact me privately if you need more info.

Return to Top