Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#287101 - 12/10/04 03:20 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Real tree. Pearl beading. Tiny blinking colored lights. Tons of ornaments, although they're going to have to shift from 1940s German glass indented fragile pieces to macaroni art and stuffed things. But the 1940s pink spire will stay (at least as long as I can keep dh from snapping it in two.)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#287102 - 12/10/04 04:34 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
EGB--what exactly is a "dh"?

My tree has garland, but no tinsel and multi-colored non-blinking lights.

Return to Top
#287103 - 12/10/04 04:52 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
DH is an internet chat term for husband. The D is changeable depending on day and mood, but usually stands for dear or darling. On other days, however........

Derivatives are DW (wife), DD (daughter), DS (son), etc.

Return to Top
#287104 - 12/10/04 05:26 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Live tree. (Well, used to be live, once you cut it down, it's dead.)

Colored little superbright lights. Lots of 'em.

Wide, churled ribbons instead of garland or tinsel. If you have cats, tinsel can mean a trip to the vet. They think it is pretty spagetti.

Ornaments: If you have pets or small children, put the fragile, beaded and delicate up high; the satin balls or wooden carved down low.

Every year, our tree looks different. And every year MOML proudly announces, "This is the best tree we have ever had!"

Return to Top
#287105 - 12/10/04 06:07 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Fake, pre-lit tree. I use wired ribbon in gold and mauve and twisted together in a way to make ribbon thingys to play on the tree (saw it on HGTV). Then I have white and mauve poinsettias that I place on it along with gold and mauve decorated balls. I still have a few ornaments such as "Baby's first Christmas" and other special ones that I have to still put on the tree, but it's pretty simple but pretty.

Return to Top
#287106 - 12/10/04 06:15 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We start with a fake tree, put on net lights, and decorate with ornaments from my childhood and things that my children have made in school and in church over the years.
We use ever so little tinsel. just enough to make it sparkle so it looks very antiquated, but beuatiful. You dan definately tell its a family tree. We play Chrsitmas music and have a family time as we decorate creating memories of each year in our busy little heads.

Return to Top
#287107 - 12/11/04 01:00 AM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A live tree with white lights (non-blinking), red glass balls, pine cones (spray painted gold) tied on with red ribbon and that's it. Simple and beautiful.

Return to Top
#287108 - 12/11/04 01:13 AM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Another reason why I won't have a live tree:

When my youngest was about 1 1/2 years old, one morning he suddenly started crying because something was hurting his throat. Since I sew, I immediately was terrified that he had somehow swallowed a pin or a needle and I rushed him to the emergency room. As we were waiting to see the Dr. he began coughing and gagging and up came a needle from the live Christmas tree that he had somehow managed to find more than a month after Christmas. I've never had a live tree since then.

Wow, my younger sister (BTW her name is Dawn...we called her Dawnie...I swear! She was 1 1/2 yrs and I had just turned 4) was choking and we rushed her to the hospital. They x-rayed and nothing. Then my mom told the doc she threw up before we put her in the car. So, following instructions from the doc we went back and searched...Christmas tree hook recovered. Made for a memorable Christmas Eve...

Return to Top
#287109 - 12/11/04 07:06 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Garland....with lots and lots and lots......yikes....of ornaments. I say that because it's my "job" to do the tree thing and my wife decorates the rest of the house...guess I still have the better deal, even with all the ornaments!

Return to Top
#287110 - 12/13/04 03:16 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Live tree. (Well, used to be live, once you cut it down, it's dead.)

Every year, our tree looks different. And every year MOML proudly announces, "This is the best tree we have ever had!"

Hey Nanwa, you can buy live trees that are dug up instead of cut down. My parents used to do this every year, and they had a really nicely planted backyard with a dozen or so evergreens from when we were growing up. When they sold their house a few years ago, the buyers commented on the landscaping and the wonderful trees out back. Little did they know that they were added one after another for our little kids after christmas.

Return to Top
#287111 - 12/13/04 08:43 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
We ended up with a live tree, Fraser Fir, which I've now learned drops needles like.....hummm what would rop needles fast? Anyhoo, I'm sweeping daily.

The antique garland (half inch in width and coated with real silver) made it on the tree and satisfied his tinsel wishes. I told him if we used the real stuff he had to pay the vet bills He was quickly convinced!

Colored little lights...so many they blew a fuse twice so I had to rewire them around the tree to three different plugs

Saturday the house looked like Christmas threw up on it, but today it's quite nice The cats haven't knocked the tree down, and have only eaten a few decorations Brats!!!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#287112 - 12/13/04 10:05 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Quote:

Shiny red and gold ornaments, lots of red velvet bows and whilte lights. Simple but elegant.

This is what our tree at our bank is decorated as. Very elegant. The only difference is we have off-white bows with gold trim.

Return to Top
#287113 - 12/13/04 10:12 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Fake tree, watering a real one is a lot of work, especially when you have a husband, a 10 yr. old, a 4 yr. old a 2 yr. old and a 5month old. None of the throw on tinsel. It looks tacky, and you will still be finding it around the house next december. Lots of ornaments, especially if the kids made them..

Return to Top
#287114 - 12/14/04 12:20 AM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
So here's the story...

First we put up the fake tree. It was getting old and raggy and my engineer husband couldn't get the lights to work. "It doesn't make any sense why they light here and not there!" So, out went the fake tree.

Then we cave to adult kid pressure and go out and get a 10' real tree and a stand that cost more than the tree. Struggle putting it up and start at least once daily needle vacuuming to keep the 2 dogs and 2 cats from eating it. (Ah, yes, that's why I went to fake!)

Then, after spending the better part of 2 days decorating it, I sat down last night at 11:00pm to admire my handiwork.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear....
but a tree leaning forward with Radkos quite near
to falling and breaking and making me cry!
We tied it to weights so it points to the sky.

And I just finished taking off the glass ornaments so the engineer can try to make it stand up straight without relying on the rope the cats seem to find ssssoooo interesting!

Next year, a fake table tree, I swear!

Return to Top
#287115 - 12/14/04 01:17 AM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LMAO Oh bjp that was so funny. I can completely sympathise with the poem I had the tree decorated and went downstairs to find my sweetie "adjusting" the tree because it wasn't straight. 210 (I counted just for fun) Radko's swaying with each kick to the trunk!!! After the CPR was finished...I told him if he touches it again he's a dead man.

Ahhh the love that goes with the holidays

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#287116 - 12/14/04 04:06 PM Re: Tinsel? Garland? Or Naked?
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
bjp, in case you change you mind and decide to do the big tree again next year, I have a suggestion for you - and anyone else who puts so many ornaments on that the tree nearly (or actually, in my case) falls over. We now have our tree stand bolted to a 3' x 3' piece of plywood. It works like a charm and I don't have to worry about the tree toppling over anymore.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2