Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#290142 - 12/16/04 10:18 PM Website Updating Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

We just recently gained control of our website and I am in charge of updating the information (rates as well as articles) and I was wondering if anyone out there does this as well and if they do, do you have written policies or procedures in regards to updates? Thanks.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#290143 - 12/17/04 12:25 AM Re: Website Updating Procedures
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It really depends on the content of your site and if you have control over this or there is a committee, who provides the content, etc.

When I was my bank's webmaster I had content sent to me, updated the site at month end when rates were changed and did a backup. As the site grew our IT folks took it over, added some great features and really improved it. But we had to form a committee to manage it. The committee solicited the new info, approved redesigns, proofed work, etc.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#290144 - 12/17/04 03:00 AM Re: Website Updating Procedures
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
I do the whole thing for my bank; however, if I make any substantial changes I do them off line and have the auditors look at them before they go live. We don't post loan rates and only post CD rates when we're running a promotion so that makes it a lot easier.

We do not have any written procedures - the circle is small enough that we don't need them at this point. If it's going to be just you doing it I wouldn't worry too much but if there's more than one or two people capable of changing content I'd get something in writing.

I'd love to hand it off to our IT folks but, like a lot of technical people, they are not real great with the artistic stuff. I'm no Picaso but at least I no haw to speal.

Return to Top
#290145 - 12/17/04 04:07 PM Re: Website Updating Procedures
reinkesd Offline
100 Club
reinkesd
Connecticut
The last big project I worked on before leaving my bank back in October was the redesign of our web site. Procedures for changes was a hot topic.

We had a policy which outlined which things were updated daily, weekly, etc. and that all other changes would be appoved by Marketing and Compliance before being posted by our department.

Routine changes did not require Marketing or Compliance sign-off. This would be things like daily/weekly rates. They were input by one person and double checked by another with a quick sign-off of each piece.

We created an additional sign-off form for "other changes" which had the page impacted, the change, the effective date of the change, when it should come off (if applicable) and the sign-off's of the business line owner (ie VP of Mortgages or Retail), Marketing and Compliance.

The sign-off form, along with any screen shots, emails, etc. were put in a binder for future reference. That documenation should be kept for 2yrs. I believe.

Return to Top
#290146 - 12/17/04 05:04 PM Re: Website Updating Procedures
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
To clarify (I'm the original poster, just forgot to sign in), I am the person primarily in charge of the website. There is one other person (in marketing) who has the authority to change the site, but he runs it by me first. The only other person who has access is only allowed to change rates (we post loan and CD) if I am not in the office. In addition to rates, we post account terms & conditions (which I have new accounts people look over and proof), loan requirements (which I have loan officers proof), and community information (such as area events, which are provided to me by the Marketing person). I'm considering making a back up of the site every time there is a change, titling that file with the date, and then burning those files to a CD at the end of the month. As of right now, there are no set schedules for changing the site because there is no schedule for rate changes. Is keeping copies of the site on file enough?

Return to Top
#290147 - 12/17/04 05:22 PM Re: Website Updating Procedures
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Copies are enough for retention if you have the complete site or identified changed pages. If you have SSIs as an example or items which get their data from elsewhere, you should have that or be able to recreate it as it was. But that is retention, not a change management policy. And a policy is not a requirement. But you should have an organized structure.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z