Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#292915 - 12/23/04 07:59 PM Regulation O
razzledazzle Offline
New Poster
Indiana
Does anyone know if it's okay to give free checks to insiders? All of our other employees receive free checks with their checking account.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#292916 - 12/23/04 08:09 PM Re: Regulation O
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Deposit accounts are not covered under Reg O. With that said, even if it was a loan discount, as long as the benefit is available to all employees, it can be available to insiders also without a problem.

Return to Top
#292917 - 12/23/04 08:20 PM Re: Regulation O
razzledazzle Offline
New Poster
Indiana
Thanks for your help.

Return to Top
#292918 - 12/31/04 10:35 PM Re: Regulation O
dkd1959 Offline
New Poster
dkd1959
Missouri
So if Reg O doesn't apply to demand accounts, what about NSF fees, return item charges, ancillary fees? Should any of these be waived for insiders?

Return to Top
#292919 - 01/01/05 03:38 PM Re: Regulation O
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
NSF fees cannot be waived for executive officers. Other than that, you can waive other types of deposit fees all you want. I wouldn't necessarily suggest it however. The regulators still look at this as insider abuse unless done at a level that's availabe to all customers with similar relationships.

Return to Top
#292920 - 01/03/05 03:39 PM Re: Regulation O
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
A related caution, not specific to Reg. O, are deposit rates at 12 U.S.C. Sec. 376.

Sec. 376 [Federal Reserve Act, Sec. 22] No member bank shall pay to any director, officer, attorney, or employee a greater rate of interest on the deposits of such director, officer, attorney, or employee than that paid to other depositors on similar deposits with such member bank.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#292921 - 01/03/05 04:12 PM Re: Regulation O
hij Offline
100 Club
Midwest
You cannot waive OD fees for Directors as well as Executive Officers.

Return to Top
#292922 - 01/03/05 04:26 PM Re: Regulation O
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Thanks for clarifying, I was thinking insiders and typed executive officers.

Return to Top
#292923 - 01/04/05 07:31 PM Re: Regulation O
tattooedCO Offline
New Poster
Does anyone know what "major policymaking decisions" means in the definition of executive officer in Regulation O. Do you think a compliance officer or an internal auditor would fall within that definition? Thanks!

Return to Top
#292924 - 01/04/05 08:14 PM Re: Regulation O
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The compliance officer - possible - it depends on your structure. The auditor - I would say never. How can the auditor remain independant if they are in a major policymaking position. Normally it is limited to CEO, President, CFO, COO, CCO, etc.

Return to Top
#292925 - 01/04/05 10:30 PM Re: Regulation O
tattooedCO Offline
New Poster
The compliance office in our institution would only be responsible for assisting in the development of policies and procedures and reviewing those procedures for compliance. Our CEO believes that an examiner told him that an internal auditor would be considered an insider and thus subject to the requirements of Reg. O. I don't believe this is correct. If that is the case, then it makes me wonder why the examiners have never asked for any of the reporting information required under reg. o for executive officers. Thanks for your reply.

Return to Top
#292926 - 01/04/05 10:32 PM Re: Regulation O
tattooedCO Offline
New Poster
I should have said " for the internal auditor". In addition, as far as I know, the compliance officer/internal auditor in our institution is not considered "executive officer" in any sense of the term.

Return to Top
#292927 - 01/05/05 01:42 PM Re: Regulation O
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Don't forget that the board of directors can, by specific board resolution, include and exclude specific officers from the definition of "executive officer" for the purposes of Regulation O. Examiners, however, look at the actual responsibilities and authority of specific officers when evaluating any questionable relationship or transactions. The resolution will be one piece of the puzzle, but won't "trump" the actual determination that an individual has actual policymaking authority.

Remember also that a person need not have an officer title to rise to the level of an executive officer under Reg. O standards.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#292928 - 01/12/05 07:59 PM Re: Regulation O
SamIAM Offline
100 Club
Are the Board of Directors required to have any compliance / other annual training (other than Reg 0 & BSA)?
Thanks.

Return to Top
#292929 - 01/13/05 10:07 PM Re: Regulation O
Anonymous
Unregistered

No. We inform them of the training that the rest of the employees are required to complete, but the directors are not required to complete the training also.

Return to Top
#292930 - 01/13/05 11:50 PM Re: Regulation O
berico Offline
Gold Star
California
Although training for the Board on other regulations may not be required by the regulation itself, we've been told by the regulators (FDIC in our case) they want to see it as a "best banking practice". If the Board is responsible for the compliance program of the bank, they should know what they are responsible for.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett