Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#293144 - 12/24/04 03:56 PM Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Here's my dilemma. I have a six-year old male cat that was diagnosed with kidney disease last July. I have been giving him 200ml of fluid every day since then. Although this only takes around five minutes per day, it (along with monthly blood tests) is starting to affect me financially. We love him like a member of the family and just don't know what to do. The prognosis is that if we give him a shot EVERY day that he may live up to 2 more years. This is also tying me down as I have to be home at some point each day to do this.
Also, we recently adopted a kitten. In the last 2 months we have had to give her antibiotics for intestinal parasites, and now she has a cold!! (which means more antibiotics) Has anyone out there ever had to give their cat pills (or liquid meds)?? It can be very difficult.

I am an animal lover, and am very depressed by this situation. Any advice?????

Thanks and happy holidays

Return to Top
#293145 - 12/24/04 04:08 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I'm so sorry hear this. It is so difficult when your pet, a member of your family is ill, hard to know when to keep them alive and when to let go. We had a dog with diabetes, had to give him shots everyday with blood tests to keep track of the disease. Kept him alive for over a year but was expensive and finally had to give up cause his quality of life was not getting better. A very hard decision to make and no one can make it for you. I believe that you will know when it's time and would not want anyone to talk you into doing anything until you are ready. Give them both lots of love and attention and try to have a Merry Christmas!

Return to Top
#293146 - 12/24/04 04:09 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
With the pills, you may can put it inside a bit of cheese or meat...has worked very well for me over the years. About your older cat...you mention having to be home at some time to give it...aren't you normally home at some point of the day or night? Also, with the medication, does your older cat have a good quality of life? If so, I'd continue taking care of him as long as he/she does. I have 3 horses, 2 dogs and several cats that I tend to every day. Right now..I'm tending to 20 additional horses, every day. Fortunately, the 20 is for a limited time, but it causes me a delay in getting home to my own responsibilites...but it still all gets done, and I still have colts to ride, dinner to fix and a chance to sit down awhile before going to bed. It's a hassle, but it can be done. If you aren't home at some point everyday...can you take the cat with you, maybe?

The expense...sometimes I think I only work to take care of my son and my critters...but to me...they are every bit worth it and the time it takes.

About the kitten...what kind of internal parasites...I would assume worms...I've never heard of giving anti's for worms...has the kitten been dewormed? Perhaps that would solve that problem, or at least make the treatment very short lived??

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#293147 - 12/24/04 04:14 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Corkygirl -- Thanks for your understanding. You're right. People have been trying to convince me to "get rid of" my older cat. They just don't understand that for me, this is like deciding when someONE is going to die, not someTHING. I don't want to sound selfish about the finances, but I also have 2 children that are involved in some rather expensive activities, and I don't want to take those away either. I guess that it's time to do some soul searching. The vet told me last week that it is a miracle that my cat has lasted this long.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Return to Top
#293148 - 12/24/04 04:22 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Joker - Thanks for responding. I will try that with these pills. It didn't work with the last ones (they were for some kind of bacteria that was occurring along with coccidia (not sure of the spelling on that). But, I was told that the pills had a terrible taste, and that these don't.
As far as being home some time every day, I usually am. However, this also means no vacations (mini- or otherwise) as long as I decide to keep my friend alive. I spoke with my kids and they felt that they could live with that for a couple of years.

The expense - I told myself when we first heard the news that we would work this issue out. We are going to try to do so for as long as possible.

My biggest problem here is not really my older cat. We've pretty much decided to keep him alive as long as possible. It's the fact that I adopted a kitten and have had to deal with health issues ever since we got her! Also, I'm the only one in the household that is willing to deal with this issue. (My husband isn't interested in helping out, and my kids are too young).

So, I guess that I'm going to have to either go out and get my self a nice toy (stuffed) cat, or deal with the situation.
Thanks again for your support.

Return to Top
#293149 - 12/24/04 04:33 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
VickiS,

Somehow, most people find a way to do the best thing for their pets. Only you know what that is - based on his history, other health issues and overall quality of life. I had a dog with kidney issues who needed to be on a low-protein diet. I found the right combination of prescription (expensive) and home-made (dirt cheap but time consuming) food for him. In the end it was a burst tumor that caused me to put him down.

Have you contacted the UW Vet School? They sometimes can offer alternative treatments.

Return to Top
#293150 - 12/24/04 04:34 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Joker - Thanks for responding. I will try that with these pills. It didn't work with the last ones (they were for some kind of bacteria that was occurring along with coccidia (not sure of the spelling on that). But, I was told that the pills had a terrible taste, and that these don't.
As far as being home some time every day, I usually am. However, this also means no vacations (mini- or otherwise) as long as I decide to keep my friend alive. I spoke with my kids and they felt that they could live with that for a couple of years.

The expense - I told myself when we first heard the news that we would work this issue out. We are going to try to do so for as long as possible.

My biggest problem here is not really my older cat. We've pretty much decided to keep him alive as long as possible. It's the fact that I adopted a kitten and have had to deal with health issues ever since we got her! Also, I'm the only one in the household that is willing to deal with this issue. (My husband isn't interested in helping out, and my kids are too young).

So, I guess that I'm going to have to either go out and get my self a nice toy (stuffed) cat, or deal with the situation.
Thanks again for your support.

Hopefully the kitten's health issues are short term. And for your beloved older pet, is there a vet where you could board him if you wanted to take a "mini" vacation? I have 3 dogs, and my vet will administer any medicines if necessary when they are boarded...for an additional fee of course.

The decision about the older cat is going to be tough at one point. My dogs are my children and the oldest is 10. Still in good health but beginning to show signs of her age. I can't even think about it now, but when the day comes that the quality of life is suffering, the kindest thing will be to...you know. I just hope I have the strength to make the right decision when the time comes.

I hope you have a very merry Christmas this year surrounding by all your many critters!

Return to Top
#293151 - 12/24/04 04:35 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Cat Woman Offline
Diamond Poster
Cat Woman
New England
I understand how hard it is when an animal is sick. One of my babies has a heart condition and the other has an overractive bladder. I've given them both liquid and pills. I actually find that pills are easier. The liquid tastes horrible to them and one of my girls would foam at the mouth after giving her the meds.

If I was in your situation, I wouldn't have the heart to put the kitty down. It's definitely hard when you have to give them the meds yourself. My fiance is not good with that. Even when my mom's cats are sick, I have to go over to her house to give them their medicine. She can't handle giving it to them (especially if it goes in their eyes!).

I don't know what it is, but it seems as though animals always have health probs. I never remember having these issues with my pets when I was growing up as a kid!

Return to Top
#293152 - 12/24/04 04:36 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

This may sound harsh, and it is not meant to be callous, but think hard about putting your older cat down and even finding a new adoptive home for your younger one. I know you are an animal lover, but your older cat is probably not enjoying life so much, your husband obviously doesn't have an interest (which may or may not be causing a strain in your relationship), & your kids should come first (not that their activities should bankrupt you but if something has to give financially, it should not be them or their chance for a vacation). That said, finances is a personal thing, but I am of the belief that you should live within or beneath your means, and sometimes activities for kids even need to be limited or eliminated for a while. Vacations are luzuries, but if eliminating the financial burden of the cats would allow you to vacation, think hard about the mental happiness of you and your kids. Will you grieve for your care - of course - you will eventually anyway. Should you find a new home for the kitten who may or may not cause you financial issues for a very long time - I would, cut your losses before you get too deeply involved.

Again, this may sound harsh, and I know pets are family and not things, but what I really want to express is that if you decide to put your cat down, please don't hatwe yourself for it. Grieve for your cat and know you gave him/her a loving home for many years.

Return to Top
#293153 - 12/24/04 05:17 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
hmdagal - Thanks for the good advice. I will think about the the UW Vet School a call.

Return to Top
#293154 - 12/24/04 05:24 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeez, you people are dumb. You can clone that darned cat for only 50k. Why not get a few just in case one of em' gets hit by a bus? <<for those inept at recognizing humor... IT'S A JOKE>>

Return to Top
#293155 - 12/24/04 06:32 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Jijiemma Offline
New Poster
Jijiemma
I've got an older cat at home that may not make it to New Year's (he's got kidney failure, and is starting to show the unmistakeable signs that it's his time), so I can sympathize. As far as pills go, see if you can find a pharmacist who does "compounding". We had a cat a few years ago that needed kitty "anti-depressants" (don't ask...); our cat got to be an expert at spitting pills out, so we chatted with her vet. The compounding pharmacist took her pills, and ground them into a topical medication. We just rubbed it into the inside of her ears, and she got the medication in that way. (Be sure you wear rubber gloves!) It might be a bit more expensive than pills, but it will save you and the kitty some stress and angst.

You (and your kitties) have my best wishes for Christmas. Good luck!

Return to Top
#293156 - 12/24/04 06:35 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
We just rubbed it into the inside of her ears, and she got the medication in that way. (Be sure you wear rubber gloves!)

I like this idea. I have a cat who may need some help this way, but I may forego the gloves. Help myself too!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#293157 - 12/24/04 06:37 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Give your kitty a couple extra strength tylenol and all your problems will be solved.

Return to Top
#293158 - 12/24/04 06:40 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Give your kitty a couple extra strength tylenol and all your problems will be solved.

Go away you horrible person.

Return to Top
#293159 - 12/24/04 07:04 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

HA HA HA HA HA ROTFLMAO!!!! Even better... ALEVE!

Return to Top
#293160 - 12/24/04 07:07 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

HA HA HA HA HA ROTFLMAO!!!! Even better... ALEVE!

Be careful all that rolling on the floor laughing...you might choke on something...

Return to Top
#293161 - 12/28/04 09:16 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Hopefully choke on a hairball. Some people might believe that they can give their pets asprin, etc.

I would ask your vet about the older kitties quality of life. I had a diabetic kitty who was on twice daily shots for a few years. We scheduled ourselves so that we could be around at 6 am and 6 pm (either myself or my husband). If we absolutely couldn't make it, we arranged for a pet sitter to administer the shots. We used pet sitters when we went on vacation as well.

I take my responsabilities as a pet owner very seriously. I would forgo dinner out, movies, candy, soda pop, etc., anything extra if I needed the funds to pay for their care. As an owner, that's part of the deal. They give you unconditional love, and you agree to be responsible.

What you shouldn't do though is keep the older one living if they're in bad pain and there is nothing to do. Your vet will be honest about this with you. Take their advice when it's time. Just don't do it for financial reasons, do it because you love your kitty and don't want them to suffer. You might ask if the meds can be adminsitered differently as noted above. The ear thing sounds great (after spending four days giving my kitty eye drops every hour that sounds like heaven!) but also perhaps a shot will work. It is very easy to give a kitty shots. Much easier than pills!

For the baby, it's a cold. Treat the dear and it will be well, but be sure to do so under a vets care. It will heal much faster!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#293162 - 12/30/04 08:40 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Dawnie -
Thanks for the support and advice. The kitten seems to be well now, which helps immensely. As far as my older cat, I am going to take the advice of you (and others) and discuss the "quality of life" angle with the vet. I also take my responsiblities as a pet owner very seriously and always do whatever I can for my animals.

Thanks,
Vicki

Return to Top
#293163 - 12/30/04 08:58 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Good luck Vicki! The dears give me so much love it's hard not to give them too much back. Sometimes, when they're in pain, we have to let go. I'll hope that isn't the case with your older baby, but if so, you can be there for them when they go, which is HARD! but for them it's an easy sleep.

Ok I can't type this anymore...I'm welling up with tears for the dear and I don't even know them

Return to Top
#293164 - 12/30/04 10:12 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Jijiemma Offline
New Poster
Jijiemma
My sick cat passed away on Monday, so believe me, quality of life issues are very important. He wasn't in distress, and he was fading in familiar surroundings, with my husband and I around to keep him comfortable. When he slipped away, it was a blessing and it felt like it was a very natural, sweet ending to a good feline life.

We've also had a cat that had a brain tumor, and would have seizures every once in a while. One day, at 19, she started seizing every few minutes, and within a half-hour, it was one, constant seizure. She was in so much pain that we rushed her to the vet, and asked them to end her suffering. That was incredibly hard, and I was off work for two days while I grieved.

Good luck to you. Anyone who has loved a pet understands what you're going through.

Return to Top
#293165 - 01/03/05 05:23 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Jijiemma - I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and can certainly empathize with your situation. I have a meeting scheduled with our vet today. We'll see what happens.

Dawnie- Sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry!!

Vicki S.

Return to Top
#293166 - 01/03/05 06:55 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I have a soft spot where kitties are concerned. Hope the vet meeting goes well!

Return to Top
#293167 - 01/07/05 05:46 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Jijiemma - I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and can certainly empathize with your situation. I have a meeting scheduled with our vet today. We'll see what happens.

Vicki S.

Thank you. He was a "daddy's boy," and my husband took it much worse than I did. As much as I hated to see him decline, my husband thought it would be more respectful to Jack to let him die naturally, rather than rush him to the vet to have him put down. My threshold is, if the cat is in no pain, and has some quality of life (Jack continued to purr until the very end, and always knew we were there), then let life happen. Otherwise, it's time to think about other options.

How did it turn out with the vet?

Return to Top
#293168 - 01/07/05 06:05 PM Re: Help Requested with a Difficult Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

The vet suggested that I surrender my kitten, in order to spend quality time with my older cat who has renal disease. He said that at this point, a year is optimistic. We wish that we had the money to get him on a list at the University for a kidney transplant, but we just don't. So, we're going to make the next ...... quality time.

Vicki S.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett