Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#294009 - 12/28/04 05:08 PM Pet Peeves on the Road
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
I was on my way to work this morning, and had to follow a car going 45mph in a 60 zone because the driver decided not to warm up his car and his windshild was covered in frost. I just wanted to give him a nice little push with my car .. So I was wondering, what are your pet peeves while driving??

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#294010 - 12/28/04 05:11 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
People on cell phones that can't do 2 things at once. People on cell phones generally don't irritate me, but when you realize that it is a person that has not mastered the ability to multi task you have to wonder why don't they stick to 1 thing at a time and DRIVE!!

Return to Top
#294011 - 12/28/04 05:17 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Are you kidding me? I live in one of the most touristy places in the state of Florida. I see generally one of these each day: Family loaded into the rental family truckster, cell phone in the dad's right ear, map sprawled across the dashboard, wife yelling, 2.75 kids screaming in the back seat because the Barney DVD has ended, and they are hopelessly lost on their way to the beach. Not to mention the elderly, whose sheer numbers grow each moment of every day, clogging the roads with their Lexuses (or should that be Lexii), Beemers (it is Naples, afterall), Lincolns, Cadillacs, etc., all on the way to some place to eat during rush hour because the early bird special is about to run out and that 4.5% discount or free piece of pie at Mel's Diner will be gone. Sigh. I'm not bitter. Not. At. All.

Return to Top
#294012 - 12/28/04 05:18 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Cat Woman Offline
Diamond Poster
Cat Woman
New England
I hate it when people don't have enough time to turn and they turn anyway. Then they go 5 mph and you have to slam on your breaks.

I also hate it when people don't use their directionals.

Return to Top
#294013 - 12/28/04 05:19 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
People who stay in the left lane doing under the speed limit. KEEP RIGHT! PASS LEFT!!!!!

Return to Top
#294014 - 12/28/04 05:21 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

People who stay in the left lane doing under the speed limit. KEEP RIGHT! PASS LEFT!!!!!

Gotta agree with you there...lead, follow, or get OUT of the way...

Return to Top
#294015 - 12/28/04 05:21 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
What is up with people who get right on your tail when there is ice on the road? I'm usually speedy gonzalez but I drive a little slower when there is ice and there's always some ding dong who gets right behind me. What is the point of that? That makes me slow down even more just to bug them.

My other pet peeve is people who just think it is entirely too much effort to use their blinker. Come on, how hard is it to flip that little switch? Sometimes I think people just want to see if they can make you hit them.

Return to Top
#294016 - 12/28/04 05:29 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
ALL OF THE ABOVE!! Mark, I also live in a tourist town and in addition to everything you mentioned I also see RV's on two lane mountain passess going 5 mph because they are scared to death that they are going to fall off the edge. They actually feel the need to slow down if there is a curve- you can't go any slower without stopping!! My final pet peeve is a person slowing down to turn and then turning on their signal. It is much more effective to signal before you stop.

Return to Top
#294017 - 12/28/04 05:37 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Quote:

Are you kidding me? I live in one of the most touristy places in the state of Florida. I see generally one of these each day: Family loaded into the rental family truckster, cell phone in the dad's right ear, map sprawled across the dashboard, wife yelling, 2.75 kids screaming in the back seat because the Barney DVD has ended, and they are hopelessly lost on their way to the beach. Not to mention the elderly, whose sheer numbers grow each moment of every day, clogging the roads with their Lexuses (or should that be Lexii), Beemers (it is Naples, afterall), Lincolns, Cadillacs, etc., all on the way to some place to eat during rush hour because the early bird special is about to run out and that 4.5% discount or free piece of pie at Mel's Diner will be gone. Sigh. I'm not bitter. Not. At. All.

That is by far the funniest thing I have heard all day. (Keep in mind it's only 10:15am here) I see that all the time too.. It is so horribly funny..

Return to Top
#294018 - 12/28/04 05:37 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
My pet peeve on the road is when the snow in the middle of the road keeps scraping at my muffler and I just KNOW it's going to fall off thanks to a horrible job of plowing!

Return to Top
#294019 - 12/28/04 05:38 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Heck Yeah Okie Banker, if you rear end them then I think according to the law you are at fault! It's fun for people to stop suddenly to see if they can get you to hit them so they can sue you because of their lack of brains (-:

Return to Top
#294020 - 12/28/04 05:38 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
When they swoop up behind and pass you at the last split-second with only inches to spare. Happens more now than I remember. I blame video games.

Return to Top
#294021 - 12/28/04 05:39 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
People who slam on the brakes at the first hint of a yellow light.

Return to Top
#294022 - 12/28/04 05:40 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Oh, I almost forgot... People who are 1/2 into the intersection, making it difficult to turn left, but don't CLEAR THE DOGGON INTERSECTION WHEN THE LIGHT TURNS RED!

Return to Top
#294023 - 12/28/04 05:42 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
People who pull out right in front of me. Can't they see me coming? I hate the cell phone thing also and people who do not stop at stop signs but just roll right through them.

Return to Top
#294024 - 12/28/04 05:53 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
In Michigan a safe following distance at 70 MPH is 3 or more inches. I'm with Okie Banker - when someone gets that close I slow down.

Return to Top
#294025 - 12/28/04 05:55 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Oh, yeah, almost forgot. Since everyone here has no idea where they are going, they all ride in the left lane on the highway (we're going 75 generally, maybe 80) and they see their exit coming up quickly, so instead of going to the next exit and safely getting off the highway and coming back to their original exit, they cut across 3 lanes and nearly wreck themselves and everyone behind them. Seriously, this happens all the time and people die because they don't want to double back to get the right exit.

Oh, and my favorite in the last couple months was the 40-ish woman in her giant SUV (Toyota Sequoia I think) who was going down Rt. 41 (four lanes, very, very busy as it goes right through the business section of town), cell phone in one ear, visor down, applying eye liner (no, God knows I am not making this up) traveling at 50+ mph in the left hand lane checking on traffic in front of her every 15 to 20 seconds. Very intelligent.

Return to Top
#294026 - 12/28/04 05:55 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Aww, come on Greg. Don't you watch Nascar, it's called drafting...

Return to Top
#294027 - 12/28/04 05:58 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

People who slam on the brakes at the first hint of a yellow light.

Heck Swimware, in Mass, yellow light means hurry up dude, you don't want to get stuck at a red light. A yellow light around here means if there's a line of 10 cars, at least 5 can make it through the light before it turns red.

Return to Top
#294028 - 12/28/04 06:03 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
People who have to hit the brakes to read a road sign!!!! Can't do two things at the same time I guess.

What really scares me is the driver late in the night that has obviously had too much to drink and can't seem to stay in the lane. Makes me want to past them as quickly as possible so I'm ahead of the accident!!

Return to Top
#294029 - 12/28/04 06:03 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
This seemed to happen a lot this Christmas - I'm in the right lane going the actual speed limit (anywhere near Tallahassee FL and they WILL ticket you for speeding). The left lane is EMPTY - some bozo is right on my tail and stays there! GO AROUND ME if you don't like going the speed limit!! There was plenty of room.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#294030 - 12/28/04 06:05 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
Jijiemma Offline
New Poster
Jijiemma
My husband told me when we moved to Boston four years ago that a co-worker told him, "Heck no, we don't use turn signals. That's giving your position away to the enemy!"

Return to Top
#294031 - 12/28/04 06:06 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
I was on my way north to visit my Mom on Christmas Day, driving a safe speed (65) in the right lane. Left lane somewhat ice covered. Idiots zooming past me. Looked in the side mirror and wondered why that guy behind me in the left lane was turning around....oh that's right.....shall we say SPINNING around.

What is it with people that want to exceed the speed limit on an ice covered road?

Return to Top
#294032 - 12/28/04 06:06 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
My nephew was with me one day (he was about 3) and we were sitting at a red light. We were going through the colors and he was telling me what they meant (green means go, red means stop). When I asked him what yellow meant he said, "Drive faster!".

Anyway, my pet peeve is when you are following a car and they slow down and then speed up. I was behind a car on Christmas Day and everytime they saw another car approaching the slowed down to 50 mph. As soon as the other car would go by, he would speed up to 65 mph. Made it almost impossible for me to pass him but I eventually found and opening and got around him.

Return to Top
#294033 - 12/28/04 06:11 PM Re: Pet Peeves on the Road
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
People who freak out about snow and ice Driving 3 miles per hour and leaving six car legnths between them and the next car.

Come on people...it's just a little bit slippier than normal, let's not over do it!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3