Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#294111 - 12/28/04 05:30 PM Control Agreement
Matt1 Offline
100 Club
Matt1
I am curious about how many banks take as collateral deposit accounts at other financial institutions. Do you use a control agreement? Does the f.i. normally sign the control or is it a struggle to get one signed?

What about investment property at other brokerage houses?

Return to Top
Article 9
#294112 - 12/29/04 02:39 AM Re: Control Agreement
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
We do this although I personally hate it. We don't have our own brokerage however and therefore do take collateral at a brokerage. We do require a control agreement. You should not advance until you have the signed agreement. After you advance it can be next to impossible to get your customer to care about getting their other bank/brokerage to sign the agreement.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#294113 - 12/29/04 05:53 PM Re: Control Agreement
Matt1 Offline
100 Club
Matt1
Thanks.

I personally hate the idea, too, because the borrower wants to close the loan as soon as possible - and yet s/he doesn't understand that the other financial institution has to sign the control agreement for us to have any collateral.

Return to Top
#294114 - 11/07/05 03:13 PM Re: Control Agreement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm looking at doing a control agreement with an outside brokerage firm as well. It is already next to impossible to get anywhere with them, so I can't imagine advancing funds before getting sigs in place.

Do you also have the borrower sign a security agreement? Do you file any UCC statements? Out current procedures say "yes" to the agreement and "no" to the financing statements.

Return to Top
#294115 - 11/07/05 08:34 PM Re: Control Agreement
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Quote:

Do you also have the borrower sign a security agreement? Do you file any UCC statements? Out current procedures say "yes" to the agreement and "no" to the financing statements.

Our procedure is - Yes to the Security Agreement, No to the UCC and Yes to the signed Control Agreement before funding the loan.

Return to Top
#294116 - 11/08/05 06:56 PM Re: Control Agreement
TX Ladybug Offline
TX Ladybug
TX
We do quite a few loans to customers using their "outside" brokerage accounts as collateral. Again, can't fund until the brokerage firm signs the Control Agreement. You will still need a Pledge/Assignment document for your security acreement, and it's good to have an Irrevocable Stock/Bond Power or Entitlement Order where your Grantor appoints your Bank as attorney with the ability to handle the account if necessary.

Return to Top
#294117 - 11/08/05 07:01 PM Re: Control Agreement
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
And direct the brokerage firm to send duplicate statements to the bank.

Return to Top
#294118 - 11/15/05 06:48 PM Re: Control Agreement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Be careful if the "deposit account" secures a consumer transaction. In most jurisdictions (not all but most), a lien on a deposit account in a consumer transaction is eliminated from the code. Therefore perfection may be difficult even with a control agreement. In problem states you need to understand and use the special rules in section 9.304 to your advantage. Tom Bridge, BBCON

Return to Top
#294119 - 06/29/06 02:42 AM Re: Control Agreement
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
The initial question was regarding a security interest in a deposit account and not investment property. Both can be perfected by control. However, investment property can also be perfected by a filing. This is not true for a deposit account.

Any wise depository institution would never sign a control agreement accept for a sister institution. There are more risks in doing so than you would want to entertain.

And yes, when the collateral is investment property, I tend to both take control and file a financing statement. It has to do with the 20-day rule.
Last edited by Tom@BBCON; 06/29/06 02:44 AM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Sam Ott