Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#294336 - 12/29/04 12:27 AM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
My opinion is that things as big as the Tsunami and the AIDS epidemic are things that America should try to help with, but things like tearing apart a country and then rebuilding it should be taken care of by the UN, the whole UN. I do think that there are some countries that do need our help, but there are Americans that we are leaving behind to help these other countries. Where do you think our tax money should go, to feed Americans,or to rebuild a country that we (as in the government)destroyed?? Now don't jump to conclusions, I do think that the world is better without Suddam, I just don't think we should have spent BILLIONS of dollars each day to catch him and rebuild Iraq.
Last edited by Buddy Magee; 12/29/04 12:31 AM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#294337 - 12/29/04 02:28 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I am on the Board of Directors of a Homeless Shelter in Florida, and from what I have seen, the great majority (not all mind you, but most) of the homeless are homeless by choice. They are either unable or unwilling to accept help and cannot, for obvious reasons, control their addictions. Even though there is help available they make the decision to remain homeless.

Return to Top
#294338 - 12/29/04 04:04 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
So, we (the U.S.) shouldn't have spent any money to rebuild Japan, Germany, France, England, etc. after WWII?

Lest we forget - other nations offered to come to our aid when we needed it as well. Yes, we take care of our own - that's every citizen's responsibility, but we've got to be a good world citizen as well. That means we offer help when it's needed in other parts of the world.

Return to Top
#294339 - 12/29/04 04:16 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Did anyone see on the news this morning that some world organization (missed the beginning of the story - UN maybe??) said that the US does not willingly give enough aid and support to the rest of the world? What a crock.

Return to Top
#294340 - 12/29/04 04:31 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that the this is comparing apples to oranges.

I see a big difference in providing blankets, tents, emergency food rations, malaria vaccinations, clean water, etc. to disaster-stricken areas overseas as completely different from the American system of "proverty relief" here at home.

I personally know a woman who, between the government assitance she receives, plus that of her "husband" and her kids - clears $3,600 per month. That's more than I do working for the bank.

They recently had to pawn the title to their car to make the house payment - because the house payment $ had been spent on an entry fee for her husband to enter a regional Nintendo contest. Strange, seeing as how he gets paid worker's comp for loss of the use of his hands.

I see poverty overseas as a question of underdevelopment, here as a matter of poor choices and the dependency culture.

Personally, I would love it if we increased our financial assistance to the poor here in the US 10 fold. Nay, 100 fold. For the next 30 years. Measure the relief from poverty we achieve. I believe that the results that the US would "achieve" would be simply astounding. Astoundingly bad, that is.

Return to Top
#294341 - 12/29/04 04:39 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

They recently had to pawn the title to their car to make the house payment - because the house payment $ had been spent on an entry fee for her husband to enter a regional Nintendo contest. Strange, seeing as how he gets paid worker's comp for loss of the use of his hands.

I agree with most of your post. Maybe this is someone that should be reported to the insurance company paying his bills?? This is what causes our insurance rates to go up. Stuff like that ticks me off.

Return to Top
#294342 - 12/29/04 04:39 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Quote:

So, we (the U.S.) shouldn't have spent any money to rebuild Japan, Germany, France, England, etc. after WWII?

Lest we forget - other nations offered to come to our aid when we needed it as well. Yes, we take care of our own - that's every citizen's responsibility, but we've got to be a good world citizen as well. That means we offer help when it's needed in other parts of the world.

We didn't have much of a choice after WWII. We had to rebuild them cause they were destroyed. There's no point in being the winner if you're the only one left. (BTW, we're the ONLY country to ever win a war and then rebuild those that we defeated)

What aide are you referring to when saying that other countries help us? Are you talking about the growing detest for us? The refusal to stand up and support the United Nations' decisions? The inability to care about anything but themselves but as soon as something goes wrong, they call on us? I'm sick and tired of hearing people say that we are too involved in other places, but then bitch that we don't help enough. One or the other!

Return to Top
#294343 - 12/29/04 04:47 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Did anyone see on the news this morning that some world organization (missed the beginning of the story - UN maybe??) said that the US does not willingly give enough aid and support to the rest of the world? What a crock.

I read something about that. A woman from the U.N. said the U.S. was being stingy in its relief efforts. Sounds like Powell let her have it though. He stated that the U.S. give more aid than any other country in the world. There was more but I didn't finish the article.

Return to Top
#294344 - 12/29/04 04:49 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I think you hit the nail on the head, anon.

Quote:

Personally, I would love it if we increased our financial assistance to the poor here in the US 10 fold. Nay, 100 fold. For the next 30 years. Measure the relief from poverty we achieve. I believe that the results that the US would "achieve" would be simply astounding. Astoundingly bad, that is.

Which brings me to my question: How long have social security, ssi, unemployment insurance, medicare, medicaid, food stamps, cash assistance, student grants (and student loans), and countless state, county, and local government programs been around? Shouldn't poverty have been solved by now? Now, I'm sure many folks have benefitted from the aforementioned programs, most of them honestly. So I think we have done alot to improve the quality of life for those that most needed the boost, but it is impossible to wipe out poverty entirely, for many reasons already stated.

But even if we managed to completely wipe out poverty, the politicians would redefine it, so they can continue to benefit from the class warfare. After all, unless you have a true communist economy, you will always have a bottom 10%, and someone willing to point it out.

Return to Top
#294345 - 12/29/04 04:57 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Quote:

After all, unless you have a true communist economy, you will always have a bottom 10%, and someone willing to point it out.

Exactly. Our economy was based on the fact that hard work pays off. A poster earlier mentioned that a very good portion of the homeless are homeless by choice. What more should we do? I'd personally feel better about my money making our country safer, not forcing someone to take a handout.

Return to Top
#294346 - 12/29/04 05:28 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
This is a very interesting debate. There was a time when I was the most liberal of liberals and wanted to help everyone. Over time, with age and experience I have come to realize you can only help those that want to help themselves. Because I have worked hard to have what I have in life it angers me to see people abuse the system (e.g., Nintendo guy). I did not come from a privileged background but was able to obtain an education and a good job. What is the saying...give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he can feed himself forever. I agree that we need to take care of our own but our own have to be willing to help themselves.

Return to Top
#294347 - 12/29/04 05:28 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Quote:

I am on the Board of Directors of a Homeless Shelter in Florida, and from what I have seen, the great majority (not all mind you, but most) of the homeless are homeless by choice. They are either unable or unwilling to accept help and cannot, for obvious reasons, control their addictions. Even though there is help available they make the decision to remain homeless.

I believe that a portion of the homeless suffer from some sort of mental illness, many of them self medicating with alcohol and drugs. Neither of those conditions are free choice on the part of the individual. Unless you or one of your family members lives with mental illness and/or addiction, it is impossible to understand. We are fortunate, our son who is bipolar and a recovering alcoholic has reached out for help and is working hard but there are times when life is almost too hard for him. Our aid needs to be spent at home in the USA and overseas.

Return to Top
#294348 - 12/29/04 05:33 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I saw on this morning's news that the U.S. has pledged $35 million so far and I am sure that it will be more.

Do you know how much France has pledged as of this morning?

$136,000 that is not a typo. $35 million vs $136,000 and U.N. calls us stingy?

Return to Top
#294349 - 12/29/04 05:34 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Do you know why the French plant trees?

Return to Top
#294350 - 12/29/04 05:35 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Why?

Return to Top
#294351 - 12/29/04 05:37 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
kfh Offline
100 Club
GA
I heard a bit of that story on the news this morning. The local anchor finished up the story by commenting that protestors are asking the US to come up with more than the pledged 35 million and that the US had pledged 11 billion so far to rebuild in Florida after this year's hurricanes. Well HELLO! Florida is part of our country - they pay taxes and deserve more money from the US Federal Government than a foreign country would.

Return to Top
#294352 - 12/29/04 05:38 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
So that the Germans can march in the shade

Return to Top
#294353 - 12/29/04 05:49 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Anonymous
Unregistered

***Tasteless French Joke Alert***

Once there were two blind anamals in the forest, a bunny and a snake. They didn't know what kind of anamals they were because they could not see themselves so one day they made a deal, they would rub up against eachother and tell each other what they were. so the snake slithered all over the bunny and when he was finished said,"well you have two big ears, a fluffy tail, and are covered in fur so you must be a bunny." So the bunny rubbed the snake in return and said, "well you're slimy, you have no back bone or balls, so you mush be french."

Return to Top
#294354 - 12/29/04 05:51 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I've always thought it odd that people say we don't help our own. Don't we already? The government spends hundreds of millions (maybe billions - I don't know the specifics) of dollars every year on social security, welfare, medicare and any number of prgrams that help Americans avoid poverty and suffering, and improve their quality of life . How can anyone say we don't help our own. If you feel that not enough is being done by the government, then sell that convertible or cancel that cruise and donate the money where you feel it is needed most. Or go volunteer your time to help your cause. As a wealthy country, the US has an obligation to help those nations less fortunate. I'd much rather see the government stop funding things like museums for ex-Presidents, then helping poor nations.

Return to Top
#294355 - 12/29/04 05:51 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Quote:

Quote:

I believe that a portion of the homeless suffer from some sort of mental illness, many of them self medicating with alcohol and drugs. Neither of those conditions are free choice on the part of the individual. Unless you or one of your family members lives with mental illness and/or addiction, it is impossible to understand. We are fortunate, our son who is bipolar and a recovering alcoholic has reached out for help and is working hard but there are times when life is almost too hard for him. Our aid needs to be spent at home in the USA and overseas.

Addiction is not one's fault but recovery is one's responsibility. And yes, I speak from experience.

Return to Top
#294356 - 12/29/04 05:52 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Alright, alright, I know that it's fun to make fun of the French, but seriously...

You can always count on the French to be there when they need us!

Return to Top
#294357 - 12/29/04 05:57 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

Return to Top
#294358 - 12/29/04 05:57 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Anonymous
Unregistered

how many??

Return to Top
#294359 - 12/29/04 05:59 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Quote:

***Tasteless French Joke Alert***

Once there were two blind anamals in the forest, a bunny and a snake. They didn't know what kind of anamals they were because they could not see themselves so one day they made a deal, they would rub up against eachother and tell each other what they were. so the snake slithered all over the bunny and when he was finished said,"well you have two big ears, a fluffy tail, and are covered in fur so you must be a bunny." So the bunny rubbed the snake in return and said, "well you're slimy, you have no back bone or balls, so you mush be french."

oops, that was me, forgot to login. Is it friday yet??

Return to Top
#294360 - 12/29/04 06:02 PM Re: Taking Care of Our Own ******** Rant ********
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

how many??

It hasn't been tried for so long that no one knows.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5