Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#294509 - 12/28/04 11:22 PM Father in accident
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
My step-mom called me this morning to tell me that my dad was in an accident at work (she actually called while she was following the ambulance to the hospital). My dad was helping getting some equipment into a truck (he's the director of a out-patient surgery center, don't know why he was doing it) and was hit by a bunjee-cord that came loose. The hook went INTO his eye....

The last news I heard was that he was being transferred to the University of Chicago hospital because the eye pressure was really low, and they would have to do retinal surgery tonight or tomorrow morning. Have heard nothing since (that was around 1pm). Hopefully he won't loose his eyesight (last I heard, there was a blind spot, and I know that is the big worry right now). Right now the waiting is the worst thing.

And if my sister's accident was not enough (my sister was in a bad car accident around Thanksgiving) she was in a second car accident a week ago (this one was MUCH less severe). In this one, the woman who hit her (actually hit her boyfriend's car, as my sister is still scared to drive) tried to flee the scene and was arrested (we think she was drunk).

This all just seems like a lot for the past month (along with the loss of "Pete"). What does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

Return to Top
#294510 - 12/28/04 11:32 PM Re: Father in accident
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Oh wow - that makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it. I hope everything turns out ok.

Return to Top
#294511 - 12/28/04 11:36 PM Re: Father in accident
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
SB - I am so sorry to hear about that! My little brother (18 years old) was in a pretty bad car accident last night. He walked away from it, but the car is totaled.

Scary how you can wake up one morning and the world is fine but by the end of the day everything's changed.

I will keep your father and sister in my thoughts.

Return to Top
#294512 - 12/28/04 11:42 PM Re: Father in accident
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
SE you said it right, one morning things are fine and then it all changes in a moment. I'm sorry SB for the things your family has been going through. My prayers are with you and yours. Whenever I hear things like this I take a moment and say a prayer for those that are hurting and those that are in need.

Return to Top
#294513 - 12/29/04 02:30 AM Re: Father in accident
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Skunky, You & your family are in my thoughts & prayers. I pray for a good outcome from the surgery. Please keep us posted.

Return to Top
#294514 - 12/29/04 01:30 PM Re: Father in accident
DeeQ Offline
10K Club
DeeQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Skunkboy, that's terrible. Best wishes to you and your family.

Return to Top
#294515 - 12/29/04 01:57 PM Re: Father in accident
Happy Birthday waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
If trouble really comes in threes - your family's had all it will have for a while! Keeping you and your family in our prayers, Skunk boy.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#294516 - 12/29/04 01:59 PM Re: Father in accident
Anonymous
Unregistered

When it rains it pours. My father died last year of cancer and seven months later my brother was in a catastrophic car accident which left him paralized from the neck down. It has been more than 1 year now and he is still in the hospital. The other day I saw a woman on the street in a wheelchair. She had no arms and only one leg. She drove her wheelchair with her one toe. I realized it could be worse. My husband told me something very true.....If we wrote all our problems in a piece of paper and placed them in a hat, I bet I wouldn't take yours and you wouldn't take mine.

Be thankful for what you have even though it is not exactly what you would consider perfect.

Return to Top
#294517 - 12/29/04 02:32 PM Re: Father in accident
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

Skunkboy, that's terrible. Best wishes to you and your family.

Same here SB!

Return to Top
#294518 - 12/29/04 02:42 PM Re: Father in accident
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Skunkboy, that stinks! (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Your family is in my prayers.

Return to Top
#294519 - 12/29/04 02:52 PM Re: Father in accident
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Prayers from Oklahoma. My mother lost an eye when she was 7 years old. She was following her brother into their house and the spring on the screen door broke and hit her in the eye. She lost the eye because the pressure was too high, so I hope that is a good omen for you.

Return to Top
#294520 - 12/29/04 03:45 PM Re: Father in accident
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I finally got word yesterday around 6 that my dad was going into surgery. It took about 3 hours, but afterwards he said he had no pain. The eye was pretty beaten up (it was a metal hook). He won't lose his eye, they said it was all intact (he's lucky they said), but they won't know about vision loss until they take the bandages off. He might have a blind spot, or it could be blurred vision, but we are all thankful that he won't lose his eye (it was the unspoken fear all night).

He's getting visited by the doctors right now, and will hopefully be discharged this afternoon.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Return to Top
#294521 - 12/29/04 03:54 PM Re: Father in accident
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Thank goodness! Limited vision is really a happy conclusion to that accident. Your father is very lucky.

Return to Top
#294522 - 12/29/04 05:36 PM Re: Father in accident
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Just read your post. Glad to know that the surgery went well and he is doing much better. Like another post said, if bad things come in 3's, your family is set for a long time now!! How are you???

Return to Top
#294523 - 12/29/04 05:41 PM Re: Father in accident
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
SB - I hope that all is well. I hate bunjee cords for that reason. I've often thought.. That could take your eye out... and now I know it CAN happen. It's a very large rubber band with a metal hook... bad idea!

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#294524 - 12/29/04 06:01 PM Re: Father in accident
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The ones I have have plastic hooks. Or at least the hooks are covered by plastic.

But, I am certain that if stretched too far they could damage an eye if they slipped or broke.

Return to Top
#294525 - 12/29/04 06:32 PM Re: Father in accident
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
You know that prayers and good thoughts are with your father and your whole family.

He is one lucky man.....as unlucky as he was in the beginning.

Keep the faith....things will work out....

Return to Top
#294526 - 12/30/04 03:53 PM Re: Father in accident
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
My dad came home yesterday afternoon. He on bed-rest until he goes again to see the doctors on Monday. The eye is in bad shape - any straining could hurt it. He's lost about 90% of the vision, and it was his right eye. That really sucks cause it was his "shooting" eye (big hunter and sport shooter). He was not in pain yesterday, but this morning he said it hurt a little.
The most amount of damage was done from the force of the thing, not from the hook. My dad told me to picture it like punching a water balloon. There is a hole in his retina...they don't know if or how much it will heal until they take the bandages off.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I know my dad is bummed right now, but things will get better. It could have been a lot worse.

Return to Top
#294527 - 12/30/04 04:00 PM Re: Father in accident
DeeQ Offline
10K Club
DeeQ
Turnpike Exit 10
You and your family are still in my prayers. Speedy recovery.

Return to Top
#294528 - 12/30/04 04:59 PM Re: Father in accident
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

My dad came home yesterday afternoon. He on bed-rest until he goes again to see the doctors on Monday. The eye is in bad shape - any straining could hurt it. He's lost about 90% of the vision, and it was his right eye. That really sucks cause it was his "shooting" eye (big hunter and sport shooter). He was not in pain yesterday, but this morning he said it hurt a little.
The most amount of damage was done from the force of the thing, not from the hook. My dad told me to picture it like punching a water balloon. There is a hole in his retina...they don't know if or how much it will heal until they take the bandages off.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I know my dad is bummed right now, but things will get better. It could have been a lot worse.

Hi Skunky...just now reading this. Glad to know your Dad's ok. I imagine the docs don't really know the long term affect on the vision yet. You mentioned fuzzy vision in that eye...I have seen all sorts of new developments in the medical field for eyes. Who knows, there may be some type of lens that could be used in the damaged eye to help things.

Just know he is in our thoughts and prayers. And as soon as he is well enough, he can start practicing using a firearm with his other eye...he doesn't have to give up the sport. Please keep us posted...

Return to Top
#294529 - 01/03/05 09:46 PM Re: Father in accident
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
SB, how is your dad doing?

Return to Top
#294530 - 01/03/05 10:39 PM Re: Father in accident
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
My dad got the stitches out on Saturday (he says he saw Rev. Jesse Jackson leave the hospital when he was walking in). He seems to be in good spirits. He has a follow up with the doctors tomorrow - and they'll let him know if he would benefit from additional surgery or not.

The neighbors have really been great. They are bringing us food, and even helping around the house. My step-mom and I were taking down the Christmas decorations over the weekend....we went inside to put some stuff in boxes, and when we returned outside three of the neighbors just came over and started to take down everything else.

Hopefully the doctors tomorrow will have some good news. I know we're very lucky to have such a good hospital so close (University of Chicago).

Return to Top
#294531 - 01/04/05 03:39 PM Re: Father in accident
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
[sigh] I thought Jesse was still in Ohio protesting the presidential vote totals. Maybe he's exhausted in more ways than one?

Best wishes - I don't understand how the holidays sometimes mean both the best and the worst of times at the same time, but I'll trust a much higher power to understand all of that. Prayers to all in the extended BOL family -

Return to Top
#294532 - 01/04/05 03:45 PM Re: Father in accident
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Quote:

The neighbors have really been great. They are bringing us food, and even helping around the house. My step-mom and I were taking down the Christmas decorations over the weekend....we went inside to put some stuff in boxes, and when we returned outside three of the neighbors just came over and started to take down everything else.

Hopefully the doctors tomorrow will have some good news. I know we're very lucky to have such a good hospital so close (University of Chicago).

I'm glad to hear your dad is doing better, and it really warms my heart to know that you have such good neighbors/friends to help. God sends what we need!!

Return to Top
#294533 - 01/05/05 08:38 PM Re: Father in accident
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I too am glad to hear your dad is doing better and being in good spirits is an important part of it! When you feel down about your situation it just seems like it takes that much longer to recover. God Bless you and your family!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett