BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#299437 - 01/06/05 08:42 PM Tsunami Relief
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Just curious to see what everybody's opinions are in the effort to help the victims. I know people have so many views on donating to other countries. Right now it's an issue at our office and I just want to see what you think.
Last edited by SUZY Q; 01/06/05 09:48 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#299438 - 01/06/05 08:48 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have donated to a number of organizations for this effort, as I would hope (but not require) that others would do for me in a disaster that affected me.

God doesn't expect me to have geographic boundaries, in my personal opinion.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#299439 - 01/06/05 09:23 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
I have also made a personal donation. Yes, it is another country, but they are human beings first and foremost and they need the help right now.

Return to Top
#299440 - 01/06/05 09:28 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Before you give to any organization, check here to make sure that most of the money actually gets to those who need it. Many charities eat up your donation with administrative expenses.

http://www.charitynavigator.org
Last edited by -Z-; 01/06/05 09:30 PM.
Return to Top
#299441 - 01/06/05 09:44 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Z- thanks for that website. I was glad to see that my charity of choice had a high rating. I bookmarked it for the future.

Return to Top
#299442 - 01/06/05 09:48 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Quote:

Just curious to see what everybody's opinions are in the effort to help the victims. I know people have so many views on donating to other countries. Right now it's an issue at our office and I just want to see what you think.

I don't understand the "issue." People are suffering and need help. If we (individually or as a country) are able to help, we have to help.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/01/05/overview.children/index.html

If my house burned down, I have insurance. I could stay in a hotel, or with family or friends. I could rebuild. I would still have my job, my friends, family, my city would still be functioning.

These people have NOTHING. Family, friends, jobs, houses, whole towns are gone. That is the issue.
Last edited by califgirl; 01/06/05 09:58 PM.

Return to Top
#299443 - 01/06/05 10:00 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Wow. I have been donating to Healing Hands International for years, and was shocked looking at that site to find that they appear to be one of the most efficient of all charities! I just liked the name and what they did!

Return to Top
#299444 - 01/06/05 10:01 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I donated to the American Red Cross International Relief Fund. Those poor people need help. I have resources to provide a little relief. What's the issue?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#299445 - 01/06/05 10:12 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Quote:

I have donated to a number of organizations for this effort, as I would hope (but not require) that others would do for me in a disaster that affected me.

God doesn't expect me to have geographic boundaries, in my personal opinion.

I really like your last statment and agree. My husband and I have sent money to the Red Cross and Unicef. I can't imagine not helping any way I can. I can not imagine what these people have been through and they have such a long, long road ahead before life even begins to return to "normal". My daughter-in-law's entire family (all except a sister in Ca)live in Indonesia, they were not affected but could have been.

Return to Top
#299446 - 01/07/05 01:15 AM Re: Tsumani Relief
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Charitable contributions are a big part of my personal Christmas celebration, but this came immediately after I made them this year and I was relatively tapped out. Like Corky, I gave to Red Cross International and UNICEF. Oddly, I didn't have a strong rationale for those choices or even an explanation for splitting my gift rather than giving it all to one. I just wanted to get the money in the mail ASAP. I'm glad to see both have solid efficiency ratings.

It's apparent there will be a number of orphans. I don't know how adoption figures into the various cultures involved; i.e. whether it is acceptable. However, one of our daughters is adopted from China and I know from experience there are many, many Americans anxious to adopt children from overseas. The organizations that facilitate those adoptions will need some help. Moreover, funds from the current donations have to be being consumed at an incredible rate - there will be more appeals in the future.

Heaven forgive me if I turn this into a political thread, but I'm proud of our country's reaction to date. If it's something that we as a people think is right, the emphasis should be on the fact that we help, not our government. Nevertheless, it's the military that can mobilize and deploy essential resources in the shortest period of time. It's ironic that the tools of war are readily adaptable to responding to a disaster.

Return to Top
#299447 - 01/07/05 01:38 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I'm not sure of the adoption culture in these particular countries, Ken, but we had an American speaker at a luncheon I attended who spoke of many years of living in Saudi Arabia. One of the American couples in the compound adopted a child and brought that child back to SA. They had a great deal of difficulty being allowed to bring the child into the country. The Saudis didn't understand the concept of adoption. They didn't understand why the child's family didn't take care of it if the parents were unable. Since this is primarily a Muslim area and the Saudis are primarily Muslim, I would think the attitudes would be similiar. I don't know what they will think about those children who have NO family left to turn to.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#299448 - 01/07/05 02:18 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
My Bank has decided to start up an employee collection effort and has stated they will match dollar for dollar for all employee contribiutions. Proceeds going to Red Cross Disaster Relief. I believe I was the first one in with my check, it was a no-brainer.

Return to Top
#299449 - 01/07/05 04:11 PM Re: Tsumani Relief
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
We can donate to the United Way by payroll deduction. You get to decide which agency will receive your funds. I donate to the American Red Cross. I decided on this agency after my daughter worked with them (thru Americorp) during Modesto floods back in 96 or 97. She still proclaims what wonderful things the American Red Cross can accomplish.

Return to Top