Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#302622 - 01/12/05 04:40 PM managers as tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

to "increase productivity" (aka reduce expenses), we are considering utilizing some branch managers (in our less active branches) to also perform as tellers and customer service representatives (ie. new account openings, etc. ). clearly, this is a problem from a separtion of duties standpoint for our auditors. any compensating controls that you have implemented in a similar circumstance. or your comments are also welcome. thanks a lot.

Return to Top
Audit
#302623 - 01/13/05 02:30 PM Re: managers as tellers
GregS Offline
100 Club
Sunny Florida
Call them "private bankers" and look for those types of internal controls. I would guess you will spend more on oversight than you will save.

Return to Top
#302624 - 01/13/05 02:47 PM Re: managers as tellers
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
When I was a branch manager, I acted as a teller when needed and also one of my daily functions was to open accounts, customer service activity, loan applications...I'm confused as to what your managers do if they don't perform CSR duties and teller duties as needed.

Return to Top
#302625 - 01/13/05 03:19 PM Re: managers as tellers
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
I also did this as a Branch Manager. Worked at a supermarket branch and some days we only had 2 employees, myself and a CSR. Controls are hard to put in place. However, if I opened an account, the other employee ran the deposit and vice-versa. Vault controls were more of a challenge.

Pizzaz - In some banks, the BM is the "producer" and is rarely in the office. They usually have an "Operations Manager" who manages the tellers and CSRs. But, they are busy enough to support more than 2 employees at that branch.

Return to Top
#302626 - 01/13/05 03:45 PM Re: managers as tellers
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Ed, I used to be a branch manager is a supermarket branch as well. Glad those days are over, really burnt me out. So I jump from sales to compliance, go figure!

Return to Top
#302627 - 01/13/05 03:52 PM Re: managers as tellers
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
Burnt me out too, but was great experience. Got to see everything about running a branch.

How about this jump: BM of SMB - Consumer Loan Officer @ Credit Union - State Bank Examiner - Commercial Lender - Audit/Compliance. And people wonder why I have multiple personalities.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Carry on!

Return to Top
#302628 - 01/13/05 04:25 PM Re: managers as tellers
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Ed, you have all the makings of a CEO! Experience in all areas!

Return to Top
#302629 - 01/13/05 04:27 PM Re: managers as tellers
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
Just not enough grey hairs. One day...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z