Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#303123 - 01/19/05 04:27 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

How old is this child?

He is almost 3, but we are still having problems getting him to finish his cognitive theory booklets and to complete his numbers matching and put-it-in-writing booklets.

Return to Top
#303124 - 01/19/05 04:29 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
If he's only 3, maybe he IS having problems but doesn't want to admit it. Try using reverse psychology on him by saying ok fine, if you can't do it, then don't. Bet him he can't do it, offer to help him if he needs help, but don't let him avoid learning because he says he can do it and doesn't want to.

Return to Top
#303125 - 01/19/05 04:52 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
For cryin' out loud! The child is only 3!! He's still a baby and I think it is ridiculous when parents stress out over the homework habits of a child that is still so small. No three year old should be doing homework; it will not be effective. They will learn more from normal, informative conversation with you than they will ever learn from a text book. Stop the homework and send the child outside to play (or encourage imaginative play in his room with his toys). There will be plenty of time for homework when he gets to grade school. Until then, let the child be a child!!!

And we wonder why our children are growing up too fast...

Return to Top
#303126 - 01/19/05 05:27 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
Amen...Amen...Amen...Your child may or may not be a genius, but at age 3, WHY DO YOU CARE??? There is so much to teach a child, but teaching them that they are special to you is so much more important. You are stressing yourself out over something that your child may simply not be ready for. Play with your child. Paint, play with playdough, build with blocks - but for heavens sake, ENJOY THEM!

Return to Top
#303127 - 01/19/05 05:46 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the post said ALMOST 3. So we're talking about a 2 year old who has to sit and do cognitive theory workbooks. I know your heart is in the right place, but throw the workbooks out. Let the kid play. Play with your child. Inspect leaves and bugs, watch a towel soak up water, do everything beaten blind says.

Studies show that children who excell early - for example, can read before kindergarten, are no different at grade 3 than their peers. Kids tend to even out at that age. Certainly you'll have children who are far and above the expections for their age group, but that has nothing to do with workbooks at age 2.
Take the pressure off the poor kid and go out and have some fun. And if your day care wants you to do the workbooks, find another day care that is early childhood accredited and has great toys.

Return to Top
#303128 - 01/19/05 06:00 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
It's not about the homework, or where they will be, it's about the lazy factor and understanding what your child is really saying.

Return to Top
#303129 - 01/19/05 06:24 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
It's differences in opinions that make this world so interesting. I, on the other hand, believe that children of this age will stop trying when they feel overwhelmed or frustrated. The more you push, the more they will pull away. I'm not convinced a 3 year old (almost) has acquired the "lazy factor" yet. But I'm no child pyschologist.

Return to Top
#303130 - 01/19/05 06:30 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I think you're all being reeled in by anon.

Return to Top
#303131 - 01/19/05 06:57 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Clearly, this is why Jokerman is consistent. He not only writes well, but he is able to readily decipher an obvious tongue-in-cheek comment made for levity. That anyone might seriously believe that a 2-year-old is currently taking a put-it-in-writing class or a cognitive theories class -- let alone preparing for SATs and the GMAT -- indicates there is a need to lighten-up just ever so slightly. Please, just love your children and the rest will fall into place.

Return to Top
#303132 - 01/19/05 07:20 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry, but at age 3 I was reading quite well already, so I do believe others can do it.

Return to Top
#303133 - 01/19/05 07:31 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Its not the reading that bothers me-
We need to let kids be kids for once- at age 3 - let them alone-
No wonder they say kids are stressed out in elementary school which should not be so.

Return to Top
#303134 - 01/19/05 07:56 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Sorry, but at age 3 I was reading quite well already, so I do believe others can do it.

Michael, as extraordinary as you were (and, I'm sure, remain ), I kind of have my doubts that you were reading before you turned three, as this child purportedly can.

But even if you and this phenom were reading before you were potty trained, when I hear that a kid says "he is totally capable of doing the work, but he just refuses to"...well, that indicates to me that someone is pulling my leg.

Return to Top
#303135 - 01/19/05 08:17 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Clearly, this is why Jokerman is consistent. He not only writes well, but he is able to readily decipher an obvious tongue-in-cheek comment made for levity. That anyone might seriously believe that a 2-year-old is currently taking a put-it-in-writing class or a cognitive theories class -- let alone preparing for SATs and the GMAT -- indicates there is a need to lighten-up just ever so slightly. Please, just love your children and the rest will fall into place.

How about a bargain? We'll lighten up if you will quit being trying to make jack@sses out of people who are just trying to give advice in a forum that was set up for folks to ask for and receive advice.

Deal? (The second emoticon is me keeping my part of the bargain by lightening up)

Return to Top
#303136 - 01/19/05 10:15 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How about a bargain? We'll lighten up if you will quit being trying to make [Email]jack@sses[/Email] out of people who are just trying to give advice in a forum that was set up for folks to ask for and receive advice.

Deal? (The second emoticon is me keeping my part of the bargain by lightening up)

I don't get it. You've lost me. What is the problem?

Tongue-in-cheek comments are done throughout these threads to maintain levity -- i.e., levity: lack of seriousness; bringing lightness to an otherwise serious dialogue; frivolty; joking. And who is the we'll lighten up. Stand up for yourself. Be someone. Don't say we'll when you're speaking alone.

As this went well over your head, we can reasonably conclude that you were not in the gifted class for 3-year-olds, but we can accurately conclude that you have a thin skin, anger easily, and overreact.

Return to Top
#303137 - 01/19/05 11:06 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I have explained to my 6th grader that better grades = more choices. Last term was her first with letter grades. She had one A- and I told her she could do better. She can. Spelling brought down her grade and I know she avoids preparation for the weekly quizes. She told me that 4.0 is her goal for this term.

I don't know what kind of grades my 3rd grade son will have in 6th grade. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

The idea that 3rd graders are given homework is still hard for me to handle. Anybody else out there dealing with "Rocket Math"? I am about ready to take someone out in the woods for a litte "educatin'".

Return to Top
#303138 - 01/20/05 03:54 AM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How about a bargain? We'll lighten up if you will quit being trying to make [Email]jack@sses[/Email] out of people who are just trying to give advice in a forum that was set up for folks to ask for and receive advice.

I don't get it. You've lost me. What is the problem?

Tongue-in-cheek comments are done throughout these threads to maintain levity -- i.e., levity: lack of seriousness; bringing lightness to an otherwise serious dialogue; frivolty; joking. And who is the we'll lighten up. Stand up for yourself. Be someone. Don't say we'll when you're speaking alone.

As this went well over your head, we can reasonably conclude that you were not in the gifted class for 3-year-olds, but we can accurately conclude that you have a thin skin, anger easily, and overreact.

Whats a matter, can't take a joke?

Return to Top
#303139 - 01/20/05 04:03 AM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The second emoticon is me keeping my part of the bargain.

Return to Top
#303140 - 01/20/05 02:55 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
My daughter had homework in the 1st grade and now in the 2nd. I thought that was outrageous. I don't remember having homework at that age.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#303141 - 01/20/05 05:04 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Look, someone posted an apparently "fake" question about their child not doing their homework, then when asked about it, they said that it was a 3 year old with homework not suited for a 3 year old. Our thoughtful and considerate posters tried to help and then the person says it was a joke. There is no problem with appropriate levity in this forum, but to post a ficticious question as a joke, just did not seem appropriate. I agreed to lighten up and the second emoticon represented me doing that. But the Anon needs to learn how to interject humor appropriately.

Return to Top
#303142 - 01/20/05 06:05 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Look, someone posted an apparently "fake" question about their child not doing their homework, then when asked about it, they said that it was a 3 year old with homework not suited for a 3 year old. Our thoughtful and considerate posters tried to help and then the person says it was a joke. There is no problem with appropriate levity in this forum, but to post a ficticious question as a joke, just did not seem appropriate. I agreed to lighten up and the second emoticon represented me doing that. But the Anon needs to learn how to interject humor appropriately.

There is no fake question. There was a mention of a put-it-in-writing class and other classes that a 3-year-old would obviously not be taking. It was an obvious joke, and that status was not lost on everyone.

As Jokerman observed, you got reeled in; but part of going through life is shaking-off very minor things and showing that you have a sense of humor. You said you were going to lighten up and that the emoticon represented your doing so, but somehow you're unable to do this.

Return to Top
#303143 - 01/20/05 07:39 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fact that you keep taking my posts seriously make abundantly clear that you are the one who has no sense of humor and have been reeled in.

Return to Top
#303144 - 01/20/05 08:05 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Caution. Bragging.

My daughter met personal goal for the term.

Return to Top
#303145 - 01/20/05 10:12 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
Oh good grief, lighten up and let it go Anon.

My daughter is in the 5th grade, private school, has been receiving letter grades since the first grade. At this point we know she is capable of earning A's and B's. She knows we feel a C is not acceptable. Does this put pressure on her to make good grades??? Of course. Does she still have time to be a kid?? I guess if you could catch her between slumber parties, dance, art, and just generally being silly, you could ask her. We expect her very best in her school work, she understands that. If there comes a point wear she is struggling then it is our job as parents to make sure she gets the help she needs. At four, baby just do your best, at 11 and 12, we ask the question, is that your best work? She recognizes when she knows she could have done better.

Return to Top
#303146 - 01/20/05 10:14 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Oh good grief, lighten up and let it go Anon."

Another one reeled in!

Return to Top
#303147 - 01/20/05 10:17 PM Re: Talking to Children About School Grades
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
reeled in ..... and thrown back!!!

Return to Top