Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#305084 - 01/19/05 02:19 PM **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate my job. My friend, ( a highschool dropout) is starting a job at the hospital making almost two dollars more an hour than I. I've been bleeding the colors of this bank for nearly two years with very little recognition. I'm looking for another job. Anyone in a position of authority LISTEN UP. THANK THE TELLERS AND CSR'S!!!!!! THEY give the first impression of the bank. THEY are the ones who find most of the investment opportunities and mortgage referral to help fatten YOUR (and the board of directors)wallets. Please, just email them (not as a GROUP... make it personal!!) and tell them how much they help in the bank. For me it's too late, yeah the bank isn't going to miss a beat without me, but they wouldn't have to hire someone new if I'd gotten a little thank you now and then instead of grief for stuff that's not my fault.... ::WHEW:: thanks for listening.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#305085 - 01/19/05 04:18 PM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, well life is tough. If you're a teller, then be the best you can be. If you sweep floors, then do it better than anyone else. If you spend your life complaining, you'll find that fewer and fewer people are surrounding you until oneday when you realize that nobody is listening. Don't whine, but rise to excellence.

Return to Top
#305086 - 01/19/05 04:31 PM Re: **Rant**
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
If you aren't getting the respect you deserve, if you aren't finding room for advancement, and you hate your job, why are you still there? The worst thing you can do is wait and wait. If a highschool dropout is making more than you, it's noone's fault but your own. You are the one who has to make the decision to change.

Return to Top
#305087 - 01/19/05 04:35 PM Re: **Rant**
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Whoa, whoa, whoa Michael. Are you suggesting that someone actually take responsibility for their life? I can't imagine, in today's society, anyone blaming themselves for things that have happened when it's so easy to blame others. I understand being fed up but that should have nothing to do with what the friend is doing. I hope the poster is happy for their friend at what they have, instead of looking at what the poster doesn't have.

Return to Top
#305088 - 01/19/05 04:49 PM Re: **Rant**
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, I am indeed saying if you don't like what you are doing, CHANGE WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Don't expect someone else to fix your life for you.

Return to Top
#305089 - 01/19/05 05:03 PM Re: **Rant**
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Oh, lots of anger here. Maybe, just maybe, that anger and dissatisfaction in the job is seen by people above you, even if you think you are hiding it. Each day when you wake up you have a decision to make...is it going to be a good day, or is it going to be a bad day. Choose to make it a good day, then do something about it. Being envious of others will only lead to your unhappiness (gosh, starting to sound like Confucios).

Go back to school, better yourself, take courses, do volunteer work. LIfe is too short to remain in a job that you do not like, much less enjoy.

Return to Top
#305090 - 01/19/05 05:10 PM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

If anyone had bothered to read the rant rather than skim it, the other anon is quoted as saying they are quitting their job. So they ARE changing what they are doing. They are also quoted as saying they bled the bank's colors. I assume this means they did the best job they could and, I assume again, it was for some time. The complaints to stop whining are unfounded as the first anon clearly knows what he/she needs to do to better the situation. Whining, as you call it, solves nothing. However, I think the message was more of a plea to the "people of authority" to thank the group that works hardest for the bank. I'm a senior VP in Comercial lending (who, obviously shall remain anonymous) and every referral I get, not only does the employee get a little bonus, but they get a hand-written note from me thanking them. This Anon had every right to complain as you do to accuse them of whining. I'm not saying to sympathise with this anon, but to listen to their message.

Return to Top
#305091 - 01/19/05 05:42 PM Re: **Rant**
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
I agree, it sounds like bank fodder finally found the straw that broke ...... We remind people all the time to be courteous to customers, smile on the phone, etc. Sometimes we need to remind mgmt. that a little praise goes a long way and I think this is what the original poster was trying to say. They are taking the next step and switching jobs. Perhaps they will stay in banking but go to a bank that does a better job of showing their appreciatiation.

Let's face it, we all want more "thank yous" and more money!! No matter what line of work you are in, you will find that some companies do better with their employees than others. Maybe the bank that she works for is a terrible place to work -- there are still some banks run by very old fashioned men (and probably very old) with very old fashioned ideas. Some employees can handle it, some can't.

Good luck bank fodder.

Return to Top
#305092 - 01/19/05 05:55 PM Re: **Rant**
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
You are making a change and that is what matters. If you work for people that don't appreciate you, find someone else to work for. I did the exact same thing. I worked for a CEO who barely acknowledged his employees. I worked my butt off and I don't think I ever heard a "thank you" or "you did a good job" from his mouth. I now work for a Bank President that sends me (and all employees) e-mails telling us how much he appreciates what we do. The pay is great and the bonuses are great.

Make a change to someplace that is right for you and where you will be appreciated. This should be a signal to all of us out there that we should show more appreciation to the people that work with us. It takes every single person in the company to make it work and a little appreciation goes a long way.
Last edited by LadyLuck; 01/19/05 05:55 PM.

Return to Top
#305093 - 01/19/05 06:06 PM Re: **Rant**
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

If anyone had bothered to read the rant rather than skim it, the other anon is quoted as saying they are quitting their job. So they ARE changing what they are doing. They are also quoted as saying they bled the bank's colors. I assume this means they did the best job they could and, I assume again, it was for some time. The complaints to stop whining are unfounded as the first anon clearly knows what he/she needs to do to better the situation. Whining, as you call it, solves nothing. However, I think the message was more of a plea to the "people of authority" to thank the group that works hardest for the bank. I'm a senior VP in Comercial lending (who, obviously shall remain anonymous) and every referral I get, not only does the employee get a little bonus, but they get a hand-written note from me thanking them. This Anon had every right to complain as you do to accuse them of whining. I'm not saying to sympathise with this anon, but to listen to their message.

Actually the anon in question said they were LOOKING for another job. I've known many people who say that but don't do it 110%. In fact, in the past I let a bad working environment make me extremely dissatisfied and said I was looking for a new job but only interviewed about once a month.

Return to Top
#305094 - 01/19/05 06:20 PM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm, perhaps I assumed too much of this anon Michael. You are perfectly just in saying they are simply looking. Heck, even I just look around from time to time to see what the job market's doing. First anon, any responses to this?

Return to Top
#305095 - 01/19/05 06:36 PM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am assuming the rant anon is not more that 19 years old - so, those who are past 40, why don't you tell the anon what it is really like being a grown up in the workforce!

By the way, if you think you have a problem despite so many oppotunities in this country, think about the people in the third world countries that live off garbage disposal dumps.

Baby steps anon, baby steps. After all, you are at an entry level position - don't expect to become the manager in two years - unless you have a degree and can compete for job opportunites.

With regard to the dropout friend - think of it this way, that may be the highest salary that he may get, for the rest of his live. You on the other hand have an opportunity to do whatever you want.

And then when you are forty, come back and tell us how you position as VP of some company has been eliminated!!

Make the best of life - don't wait for things to happen, make it happen.

Alien

Return to Top
#305096 - 01/19/05 06:38 PM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I hate my job. My friend, ( a highschool dropout) is starting a job at the hospital making almost two dollars more an hour than I. I've been bleeding the colors of this bank for nearly two years with very little recognition. I'm looking for another job. Anyone in a position of authority LISTEN UP. THANK THE TELLERS AND CSR'S!!!!!! THEY give the first impression of the bank. THEY are the ones who find most of the investment opportunities and mortgage referral to help fatten YOUR (and the board of directors)wallets. Please, just email them (not as a GROUP... make it personal!!) and tell them how much they help in the bank. For me it's too late, yeah the bank isn't going to miss a beat without me, but they wouldn't have to hire someone new if I'd gotten a little thank you now and then instead of grief for stuff that's not my fault.... ::WHEW:: thanks for listening.

This is whining. The actions to make the situation better are totally within the control of the poster. Everyone would like to have more hugs, more recognition, and more thank-you's at work, but we don't get these. We earn them by quietly working hard and being noticed for our consistent work ethic.

Return to Top
#305097 - 01/19/05 06:48 PM Re: **Rant**
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
too many anons, don't know who is saying what, maybe just arguing with themself.

Bottom line, the only person who can ever make the work enviroment better is the person who is unhappy. This poster certainly has the right to go to management, and make a professional arguement that he/she is overworked and under-recognized, and give some examples of how they would like to be recognized. Examples of how you "bled the bank" should be easy to document. If you truly "bleed" the bank, you should put some effort into bettering your environment. Refocus your energies in this direction, rather than your job search. Don't be embarressed to blow your own horn, or to ask for more momney if you truly belive you have earned it (don't make this an arguement about your friend with no diploma, make it an arguement about how well you serve and represent the bank).

Strangely enough, I had an employee who once told me they were overworked and not appreciated. I asked them how/what can I do to show my appreciation. Answer "I don't know, your the boss. Figure it out." Morale of the story, if you don't know what you want, no one can deliver for you.

Return to Top
#305098 - 01/19/05 07:07 PM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Yeah, well life is tough. If you're a teller, then be the best you can be. If you sweep floors, then do it better than anyone else. If you spend your life complaining, you'll find that fewer and fewer people are surrounding you until oneday when you realize that nobody is listening. Don't whine, but rise to excellence.

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."

This is from a MLK speech. You should seek out the entire speech. Be the BEST, not the best Italian teller, not the best male teller, not the best black teller, but the best teller. If you are, in a few years, you may be writing the paychecks for those who are not thanking you. When you are, remember to thank those you write checks to.

Return to Top
#305099 - 01/19/05 07:13 PM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

New Anon here:
Wow, aren't you all being a bit harsh! It sounded like someone needed to vent. Maybe not the best idea to vent in a public chat forum. He/She ends nicely by saying "thanks for listening" and people jump all over him/her. We don't know all the circumstances and haven't you ever vented without thinking comprehensively and perfectly logical.
Give him/her a bit of a break here everyone.

Return to Top
#305100 - 01/19/05 07:33 PM Re: **Rant**
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
A survey by Goodrich and Sherwood (1999) found that employees value responsibility and autonomy, the respect and recognition of superiors, and the opportunity to have ideas adopted more than money and bonuses.
-----------------------------------------------
I think Fodder does make a point that is valid. All of us would probably agree that we sure enough hear from our supervisor if we do something wrong, but it is rare to get a kudos when we do something right. When an employee exceeds that which is expected of him or her, a verbal or written thank you goes a long way to re-enforcing that behavior.

I know I would not want to be a teller. It is a fast-paced, multi-tasking job where you are required to be friendly 100% of the time and you cannot ever make a mistake. Not to mention dealing with difficult customers, clueless customers, and sometimes angry customers. If I had to be friendly for 8 hours a day and never make one single mistake, I would be in a world of hurt!

Bank Fodder - In regard to the "fat wallet" comment, please remember that execs and board members have probably worked very hard to get where they are. They take on a huge risk by assuming a mgmt position and if they are investors as well, they are gambling on you and your organization. It is because of their investment in your bank that everyone there has a job so be thankful that someone believes in you enough to make that sacrifice. Also don't lump them all together as not appreciating the front line staff. That is really your supervisor's job and another mgmt person would be stepping on the supervisor's toes if they were to talk to you directly about your job performance good or bad.

This is definitely a "walk in my shoes" issue. BF, good luck in your search and I hope you find a place that appreciates you.
Last edited by 8675309; 01/20/05 04:33 AM.
Return to Top
#305101 - 01/19/05 08:24 PM Re: **Rant**
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well put, Jenny!

Return to Top
#305102 - 01/19/05 08:44 PM Re: **Rant**
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
This is to the first anon, As a Teller I know where you are coming from. When I make a mistake I'm lucky if I only hear about it once or twice, but when I pull in a large account from another bank I get a quick thank you from my superviser and then move on. I am lucky because I work at a smaller bank so it is easier to be noticed. All I can say is hang in there. If you do find a new job, make sure you like it. Customer Service jobs are not for everyone. Good luck!!

Return to Top
#305103 - 01/19/05 10:12 PM Re: **Rant**
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
Maybe I'm from the stone ages but I simply don't discuss my salary with my friends. Heck, I don't even think my husband knows for sure!

It's unfortunate to have a job you don't enjoy. Personally I have never been in that position.

Good luck in your search!

Return to Top
#305104 - 01/19/05 11:37 PM Re: **Rant**
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I think if we all thought about it, we have all felt the same way that the original poster feels right now. So, Your welcome, glad you had a place to vent. Now, take a deep breath and decide what you want to do, no matter is anyone ever says "nice job". Then go for it and good luck

Return to Top
#305105 - 01/20/05 01:03 AM Re: **Rant**
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I was a teller once. A highschool dropout could earn much more money as a ditch digger. Now I'm not a teller, and I could pay that same dropout to dig my garden for me.

I chose the low-pay, good future option. Do ya really want to be mopping up blood for the rest of your life? It's not a fun job...and the options for a future might include...oh fun stuff, like taking out the guts to the burn barrel.

Banking isn't that bad

You're right though...I strongly believe you should thank a teller if you're in management whenever you can. I do so, and I know I'm not the only one. MANY of us started there and haven't forgotten the value of our front line staff! Best of luck!!! But re-think that hospital gig Ditch digging is easier in the long run

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#305106 - 01/20/05 04:10 AM Re: **Rant**
Anonymous
Unregistered

Newer Anon here....the first poster WASN'T an "Anon" - it was Bank fodder! Now that we have that straight, he (or she) has made the point that those in the "upper" levels do not thank the worker bees enough. This is not to imply that the "upper levels" don't work. Au contraire. But -- a little more "Well done!" and "Thanks for hanging in there during the tough times!" sure doesn't kill anyone. My bank has had more than one Manager (let alone CSR/Teller) leave because their manager couldn't say anything positive and only dictated. It's kinda like the husband who told his wife on their wedding day that he loved her, but never said it again. When asked, he told her, "I said it once - if it ever changes, I'll let you know." (Paraphrased I know....)

Whatever happened to doing unto others as you would have them do unto you? A little "thank you" goes a LONG way!

Return to Top
#305107 - 01/20/05 01:32 PM Re: **Rant**
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
I think all of you are wrong! Being a teller is hard work. Not all offices have the chance to move up. Some of us weren't lucky enough to have a college education. And you make it sound like it is so easy to just go out and find a new job, well it's not. Teller's get no appreciation from their co-workers. We are just little pee-on's to other employees. I think your attitude stinks and you should be more respectful to people lower on the ladder. We are the first impression of the bank and with out tellers bringing in at least 90% of the checking and savings accounts, mortgages, loans, etc., you wounldn't be able to your job very well. (or fatten up your wallets) You should just be nice and respectful and show some gratitude.

Return to Top