Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#308107 - 01/25/05 05:34 PM T & I Starting Balance Finance Charge?
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
If the customer is having reserves for tax and insurance is their initial deposit to be included on the final TIL as a finance charge or does it even need to be on the TIL? Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#308108 - 01/25/05 05:37 PM Re: T & I Starting Balance Finance Charge?
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
T&I are not prepaid finance charges. They need to be on the HUD-1, but are not to be included in the TiL calculations.

Return to Top
#308109 - 01/25/05 05:49 PM Re: T & I Starting Balance Finance Charge?
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you so much for your advice - I really appreciate it. DAD

Return to Top
#308110 - 01/25/05 07:01 PM Re: T & I Starting Balance Finance Charge?
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
The cite should be
226.4(c) Charges excluded from the finance charge. The following charges are not finance charges

(7) Real-estate related fees. The following fees in a transaction secured by real property or in a residential mortgage transaction, if the fees are bona fide and reasonable in amount: . . .

. . . (v) Amounts required to be paid into escrow or trustee accounts if the amounts would not otherwise be included in the finance charge.

Taxes and hazard insurance are not finance charges, as they would be generally required whether or not the transaction was cash or financed.

Return to Top
#308111 - 01/25/05 11:03 PM Re: T & I Starting Balance Finance Charge?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would the fee still need to be on the TIL just not as a F/C?

Return to Top
#308112 - 01/26/05 12:42 AM Re: T & I Starting Balance Finance Charge?
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Quote:

Would the fee still need to be on the TIL just not as a F/C?

T&I are not prepaid finance charges. They need to be on the HUD-1, but are not to be included in the TiL calculations.

What's included on the TiL is the loan amount less prepaid finance charges to calculate the amount financed. Therefore, they would not be included on the TiL. If you still have a question, please PM me.

Return to Top
#308113 - 01/27/05 03:59 AM Prepaid Finance Charge?
1RUNR Offline
We collect 2 months PMI reserves at closing. Our investors want us to disclose the first month of PMI line 902, and the second month on line 1002. But the total (the two months) is still a prepaid finance charge, regardless of the fact the second months premium is put into a 1 month escrow, right?

Return to Top
#308114 - 01/27/05 01:13 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge?
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Quote:

We collect 2 months PMI reserves . . . But the total is still a prepaid finance charge,. . .

Right 1runr, because PMI (Private Mortgage insurance) protects the lender and not the borrower. But not to confuse the previous issues, hazard/flood insurance are not prepaid finance charges, and would not be disclosed on a TiL.

Return to Top
#308115 - 01/27/05 01:46 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you are collecting 2 months reserves for the escrow account, both months must be shown on line 1002. That is the line to show reserves collected for PMI.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z