Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#310563 - 01/31/05 05:42 PM "Law or Bank Policy?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our customer has been depositing a check into her son's account(at another local bank) for a few years. Today she took the check over and was told that she could not get a receipt for the deposit because it was against the law to give the receipt to someone other than the customer.
Is this really a law? If so, can someone tell me where it is written?
If a family member brings in a deposit with a preprinted deposit slip we will give them a receipt and just black out the balance.
thanks in advance,
Katye

Return to Top
General Discussion
#310564 - 01/31/05 05:52 PM Re: "Law or Bank Policy?"
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Not against the law to give a receipt to a non-customer for the deposit made, unless there is an account balance listed. Some banks interpret GLB/banking privacy to include not giving out any customer balance information. No different than when you call a bank to see if funds are available to clear a check; some will, and some won't give this information.

Return to Top
#310565 - 01/31/05 05:53 PM Re: "Law or Bank Policy?"
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Is the account number printed on the receipt?

Return to Top
#310566 - 01/31/05 06:55 PM Re: "Law or Bank Policy?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Is the account number printed on the receipt?

Regardless of this point, the account number will most likely be on the deposit slip anyway, so the person making the deposit probably knows it already. Furthermore, it should make no difference because everytime YOU write someone a check they are in possession of your account number!!

Return to Top
#310567 - 01/31/05 07:20 PM Re: "Law or Bank Policy?"
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There are unknown facts here. It could well be that I walk into a bank and tell them I have a check here payable to my good friend Happygilmore. They acknowledge the account, take the deposit and refuse to give me the receipt because it had information I did not. The receipt should be sent to the customer.

Years ago sending loan deadbeats a small check was a way to find out where their bank account was as well as account info. Garnishments would soon follow if there were adequate funds. You can't do that any more for some of the same reasons.

Regardless of law or policy, it is certainly within their authority to make this call.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#310568 - 02/01/05 01:35 PM Re: "Law or Bank Policy?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the responses.

Return to Top