Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#31121 - 09/05/02 02:52 PM Alimony
Anonymous
Unregistered

When figuring a persons income can alimony be grossed up. The govt. allows us to gross up Social Security.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#31122 - 09/05/02 11:05 PM Re: Alimony
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
Yes. But so far, there has not been discussion requiring that. Because it is tax-free income, grossing it up is appropriate. Particularly if the applicant-recipient is low-income, grossing it up would be the best approach. Someday you might be asked why such income wasn't grossed up. If that question is asked in the context of fair lending, you could have a problem.

As an additional consideration, only gross up alimony that has been proved as reliable.

Return to Top
#31123 - 09/06/02 05:16 AM Re: Alimony
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Um... I'm not a tax expert, but as I recall, alimony IS taxable income. Child support, on the other hand, is not.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Return to Top
#31124 - 09/06/02 11:55 AM Re: Alimony
NMB Offline
Gold Star
Southeast Michigan
We had an FDIC compliance exam recently and were criticized because one l mortgage lender did not gross up non-taxable income will others did.

Return to Top
#31125 - 09/06/02 12:43 PM Re: Alimony
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Bonnie, I agree, if you doubt it look at line 11 on a 1040. NMB really hit the nail on the head though - you have to make sure everyone is doing the same thing or you risk getting cross-wise in a fair lending exam.

Return to Top
#31126 - 09/06/02 01:39 PM Re: Alimony
Betty Banker Offline
Betty Banker
SD
I think you're right Bonnie. For the alimony payer, it's an adjustment to income; for the recipient, it's taxable income. However, it's also included in the Other Income (voluntary but not required) portion of a standard credit app. So, if payments are questionable, one might not want to rely on it for loan repayment purposes.

Return to Top
#31127 - 09/06/02 05:10 PM Re: Alimony
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Betty - this is my understanding with respect to alimony if an applicant wishes it to be considered on the credit application:

The bank can verify alimony if it normally verifies income. IOW, if you normally verify employment income, then you can verify alimony such as getting a copy of the court order and recent evidence that payment was received. You cannot apply any more onerous requirement on alimony than you would on any other source of income.

With respect to grossing up alimony - if that income is taxable, I would think you would have a compliance problem the other way - treating taxable income as non-taxable!

Just like collecting government monitoring information, there's no fail safe method that you can use every time. (i.e. you cannot collect monitoring information on every loan just to be safe.) You gross up income when it's non-taxable, but you do NOT gross it up if its taxable.

Return to Top
#31128 - 09/09/02 05:28 PM Re: Alimony
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
Actually, Bonnie, you are right (as usual) about the alimony. Don't know what I was thinking. I was in a different time zone, literally. Alimony is taxable to the recipient and not to the payor. It literally comes off the top of the payor's income. Child support, however, is non-taxable, I believe. But then, I'm still a bit jet lagged.

Return to Top
#31129 - 09/09/02 05:30 PM Re: Alimony
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
What to do with non-taxable income (which does not include alimony!) should be part of your underwriting procedures. Everyone should treat it the same way.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z