Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#311499 - 02/02/05 03:53 PM Imperfect $20 Bill
bugleboy Offline
100 Club
Ohio
Our head teller brought to me (security officer) what appears to be a genuine $20.00 bill but the color shifting number "20" in the lower right corner is missing. The bill has the hologram and all the other genuine security features. It came in a local electric utility company deposit (credit was given) and was spotted by an alert teller. Should this be turned over to the Secret Service with a Counterfeit Note Report?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#311500 - 02/02/05 04:16 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I would turn it in, if it is genuine they will return it if not they will send a copy of the report back stamped counterfeit.

Return to Top
#311501 - 02/02/05 05:10 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Anonymous
Unregistered

If that was a real $20. bill, you just gave away a great collector's item. It could have been worth 5 times the face for the goof.

Return to Top
#311502 - 02/02/05 07:22 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Quote:

If that was a real $20. bill, you just gave away a great collector's item. It could have been worth 5 times the face for the goof.

If it is a "real $20. bill" the secret service will return it.

Return to Top
#311503 - 02/02/05 07:33 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Anonymous
Unregistered

We didn't give it away, the teller that found it put in $20 of her own money and wants to keep it. I too believe it will be worth something to collectors.

Return to Top
#311504 - 02/02/05 09:15 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Years ago I had a $5.00 that was double engraved/stamped on the back. I was told it was only worth a tad more than face value.

Return to Top
#311505 - 02/03/05 04:46 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I have a couple of $10's that had did not have the Treasury Dept seals - great investment?: Guess we'll find out one day

Return to Top
#311506 - 02/03/05 05:33 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

... if it is genuine they will return it if not they will send a copy of the report back stamped counterfeit.

If it isn't real, it is from a pretty poor counterfeiter. That is a big detail to omit.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#311507 - 02/03/05 06:21 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
IF the teller has replaced it with her own funds, what happens of it is counterfeit? Will you refund her her money? Also, I'm assuming your bank has a policy that states employees may not use their position for personal gain. Finally, if it is valid, yet defective due to the print process, then the secret service will not return this specific bill to you. It will be confiscated and sent to the BPE so they can track down what happened in this print run. They will replace it with a seperate bill.

Return to Top
#311508 - 02/03/05 08:13 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Quote:

Also, I'm assuming your bank has a policy that states employees may not use their position for personal gain.

That was going to be my next question. Many years ago we had a problem with a teller who accepted a fair amount of old silver coins that were worth more than face value. The children of the man who turned them in later complained that he was not informed that they were worth more than face value. Of course the teller had bought them out of his drawer (with someone watching) and cashed them in at the local coin shop, pocketing the profit. I guess that is why I never really considered keeping the bill for personal gain in my first post.

Return to Top
#311509 - 02/07/05 02:50 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Paper money is for very specialized collectors, and usually with deep pockets. While it is rare for errors of this type to escape the vigerous quality control process at the bureau of engraving and printing, it is not unheard of. For any paper money to have or gain any significant value into the future, it should be a clean crisp bill, with no dirt smudges, folds or ragged edges. All these things will detract from the value. If you have a bill that you want to keep, or feel may be worth something someday, then you should go to a coinshop and buy what is called an acetate bill protector. It is made of a meterial that will not interact with the paper or inks over time, unlike PVC plastic covers which will bleed chemicals into the paper or coins and detract from the value over time. The cost for each is less than a buck.

What tellers should be looking for in their drawers, especially with new bills are what's called star notes. A star note is one where when an error bill is caught in the quality control process at the Bureau of engraving and printing, and the bill has to be reprinted, the reprinted bill has the last letter of the serial number replaced with a star, designating it as a replacement note. These are extremely popular with collectors.

SF (for got to sign in again)

Return to Top
#311510 - 02/07/05 02:56 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
SwankyFrank Offline
100 Club
SwankyFrank
Earth
SF again,

In addition to star notes, what is also of interest to collectors is off center printing and unique serial numbers. For example all the same digit, alternating repeating digits (1212121212)etc, and multiple bills with consecutive serial numbers or combinations thereof. For example, When my kids were born, I got 20 new crisp $2 bills with consecutive serial numbers and put them in acetates for them.

Return to Top
#311511 - 02/11/05 03:15 AM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. I have a 1996 $20 star -note bill. Its serial # is AA 08464342. It has creases in it so it's not in a very good condition, but I would like to know how much this is worth.

Return to Top
#311512 - 02/11/05 01:11 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Collectors like both radar and stutter seriel numbers.

Like SF mentioned, a repeating serial number is a "stutter" bill e.g. 12471247. "Radar" bills have the serial number read the same from both directions, like the word radar, e.g. 12477421.

Anon - it's worth as much as a collector will buy it from you. If there is a coin show, bring it along. If you want to give out your account number, you can probably get a few million dollars for the bill, wired in from a gentleman in Nigeria.

Return to Top
#311513 - 02/13/05 03:42 AM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

If you want to give out your account number, you can probably get a few million dollars for the bill, wired in from a gentleman in Nigeria.

Return to Top
#311514 - 08/16/05 12:05 AM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 3 crispy new $20.00 bills that have been cut incorrectly. There is no margin at the top, in fact, part of the top of the number 20 is right on the cut line and the bottom margin below the bill has twice as much space to it. I have no idea how many were mis-cut nor do I have any idea if they are worth anymore than a regular $20.00 bill. Any suggestions as to where I would find this information? Thanks.

Return to Top
#311515 - 08/16/05 11:54 AM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Lots of US banknotes comes with printing defects ,an example I saw is a 100 dollar Bill ( 1996 series ) where the security thread is on the right and the water mark on the Left .....still it is a genuine banknote ,and Yes we have some " Banknotes freaks " who are willing to pay 150 $ for that 100 $ Bill.

Return to Top
#311516 - 08/16/05 12:34 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I would suggest going to a rare coin dealer and seeing what they think it is worth. Most likely, not more than $20.

Return to Top
#311517 - 11/20/05 08:38 PM Re: Imperfect $20 Bill
Anonymous
Unregistered

I work at the Secret Service, and from a bank I recieved a $20 bill that is a 1985 series but the seals and the serial numbers are printed upside down. I called the bank and told them that it was genuine, but that I was interested in keeping it. I sent the bank back $20 and for christmas I am giving it to my father, who has a lot of bills which have errors. Do you think that it is worth a lot of money or not? Either way I do not really care because I am sure my father will like it just to add to his collection..but let me know.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z