Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#3130 - 07/20/01 11:28 PM New back-up withholding rates on August 7th?
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I just got my copy of the ABA Bank Compliance magazine and noticed, tucked away on the last page, an article about the recently enacted Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 (the Tax Cut bill).

According to the article, the rate for back-up withholding for customers who failed to provide a current taxpayer indentification number, etc., will be reduced to 30.5% effective 8/7/2001. The rate will continue to decrease in 2002 (30%), 2004 (29%) and 2006 (28%).

The article recommends that banks reduce their withholding rate to avoide time-consuming refund requests.

Was anyone else aware of this? It took me and our operations staff by surprise. Our data processor is unaware of this, and now we have to manually adjust all the accounts thus affected.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#3131 - 07/21/01 12:41 AM Re: New back-up withholding rates on August 7th?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I hadn't heard of it. That is why the magazine is so good. Additionally, I haven't read the magazine yet so the first I have heard of it was your post.

Thanks.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#3132 - 07/23/01 09:04 PM Re: New back-up withholding rates on August 7th?
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
Does anyone know when the rates for subsequent years goes into effect? Is it 8/7 of those years, 1/1? 6/30? Anyone?

------------------
David J. Mulkerin
Opinions expressed are mine and not my employers, who gets them whether they want them or not.

Return to Top
#3133 - 07/23/01 09:23 PM Re: New back-up withholding rates on August 7th?
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The subsequent changes are for the calendar year, so they will take effect on January 1.

Return to Top
#3134 - 07/27/01 12:51 PM Re: New back-up withholding rates on August 7th?
PABanker Offline
Gold Star
PABanker
Blue Ball, PA 17506
I just saw a good explanation on the Kirchman
website under "HOT ISSUES" explaining all the requirements. I believe we must adhere by August 1,2001 by what is stated in this article. I am glad it was on this discussion board as it would have been missed by many of us. Thanks for the heads-up.

Return to Top
#3135 - 07/27/01 01:47 PM Re: New back-up withholding rates on August 7th?
William J. Ludwig Offline
100 Club
William J. Ludwig
New York, New York USA
It's 8/7. Here's the IRS reference: http://www.irs.gov/prod/forms_pubs/pubs/p15t02.htm

Return to Top