BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#313832 - 02/08/05 08:06 PM Today's Weather
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
It's been an awful long week (yes I know it's only Tuesday) and today started off as bad as the last...until about an hour ago when the snow started falling in HUGE flakes. All of a sudden it's just lovely outside We hope for several inches by the end of the day and more tomorrow!

This is when I love to live in Alaska

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#313833 - 02/08/05 08:14 PM Re: Today's Weather
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
OK Dawnie - question. How is the driving in Alaska? I've always been curious. People around here can't drive in the rain, let alone the snow. I know further south 1/4 inch of snow stops traffic.

Return to Top
#313834 - 02/08/05 08:21 PM Re: Today's Weather
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
First snow of the year we can tell the new residents from the established residents. Accidents EVERYWHERE! After a few snows, they either move away or learn to drive

It's only bad in a blizzard when no one can see. There isn't a state I've ever been in that does not have idiots in four wheel drive vehicles driving too fast with no visual connection to the road

Here traffic does not stop until ohhhh about a foot or more of snow in an afternoon, and then, some of us still drive (I do...until the snow is too deep for my car to plow through it).

This time of year we're all used to driving on ice since that's all we have, so it's amazingly sane In Washington, this weather would cause our branches to close....where in immediately all staff and the rest of the world would drive to the grocery store and stock up on enough provisions for a six month stay in our homes due to the horrible weather (which will change in six hours).

Here we don't change dinner plans. I'm not leaving early, and have a date for dinner downtown with a client that I won't expect to change no matter the debth of the snow

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#313835 - 02/08/05 08:22 PM Re: Today's Weather
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
Quote:

I know further south 1/4 inch of snow stops traffic.

The mere mention of snow or flurries for that matter send everyone to Wal-Mart for bread, milk and eggs. A prediction of a "dusting of snow" means grocery shelves empty around here. As for driving, 1/4 inch of snow means school closings, county buildings closed, perhaps even roads closed. I can't imagine living somewhere where a couple of feet of snow is no big deal!!! Good Luck Dawnie! I hope you have fun and enjoy the flakes - the one's falling from the sky - not the drivers!!!

Return to Top
#313836 - 02/08/05 08:36 PM Re: Today's Weather
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

I can't imagine living somewhere where a couple of feet of snow is no big deal!!!

See, the trick is to live somewhere that can deal with the snow quickly and effectively like we do here on Coruscant Right, Dawnie??

I was at a school in Kansas City once and they predicted 3" of snow for Thursday. On Wed, schools were announcing no classes on Thurs (it takes a lot to cancel school here). My flight out was canceled for Thurs. Friday when I left, only 1 lane was plowed on the interstate out to the airport and I think there was about 4" total

Ice storms . . . now that's a different story

Return to Top
#313837 - 02/08/05 09:01 PM Re: Today's Weather
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Freakin 70 degrees and humid as you know what...I hate the winter!

Return to Top
#313838 - 02/08/05 09:02 PM Re: Today's Weather
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I know further south 1/4 inch of snow stops traffic.

The mere mention of snow or flurries for that matter send everyone to Wal-Mart for bread, milk and eggs. A prediction of a "dusting of snow" means grocery shelves empty around here. As for driving, 1/4 inch of snow means school closings, county buildings closed, perhaps even roads closed. I can't imagine living somewhere where a couple of feet of snow is no big deal!!! Good Luck Dawnie! I hope you have fun and enjoy the flakes - the one's falling from the sky - not the drivers!!!

The reason for this is that you do not have a fleet of snow plows and sanding trucks like Minnesota and North Dakota and other states have. Minnesota (from my experience) is the most proficient at clearing snow from roadways.

Return to Top
#313839 - 02/08/05 09:14 PM Re: Today's Weather
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

Minnesota (from my experience) is the most proficient at clearing snow from roadways.

Yep!

Last year there was a big story on the local news about how MSP International is the most efficient and effective at snow removal on the runways in the world and have relatively low levels of snow delays. It's actually pretty cool to watch.

Return to Top
#313840 - 02/08/05 09:26 PM Re: Today's Weather
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Freakin 70 degrees and humid as you know what...I hate the winter!

75 here with 41% humidity...I LOVE IT! I don't have to bundle up when I get home to ride the ponies!!!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#313841 - 02/08/05 09:28 PM Re: Today's Weather
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

Minnesota (from my experience) is the most proficient at clearing snow from roadways.

Yep!

Last year there was a big story on the local news about how MSP International is the most efficient and effective at snow removal on the runways in the world and have relatively low levels of snow delays. It's actually pretty cool to watch.

I used to like getting behind 5 snow plows side by side slightly tapered clearing off 494. That was an impressive sight. Especially at 55 miles per hour.

Return to Top
#313842 - 02/08/05 09:29 PM Re: Today's Weather
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Here in southern California, every time we get more that a tenth of an inch of rain, it becomes "Storm Watch" on all of the news stations.

Oh the humanity!!! A puddle!!

Return to Top
#313843 - 02/08/05 09:30 PM Re: Today's Weather
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

where in immediately all staff and the rest of the world would drive to the grocery store and stock up on enough provisions for a six month stay in our homes due to the horrible weather (which will change in six hours).

How funny...and how true!

Return to Top
#313844 - 02/08/05 09:31 PM Re: Today's Weather
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

I used to like getting behind 5 snow plows side by side slightly tapered clearing off 494. That was an impressive sight. Especially at 55 miles per hour.

They never seem to go that fast on 35W Especially when I'm in a hurry

Return to Top
#313845 - 02/08/05 09:35 PM Re: Today's Weather
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Well, where I'm at, the weather is unpredictable. This morning when I left for work, it was snowing big, beautiful, snow flakes, and now, it's clear, but cold. The weird thing is, in January it was spring weather. We were wearing shorts and no jackets...

Return to Top
#313846 - 02/08/05 09:35 PM Re: Today's Weather
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
Quote:

Here in southern California, every time we get more that a tenth of an inch of rain, it becomes "Storm Watch" on all of the news stations.

Oh the humanity!!! A puddle!!

I miss my home!!

Return to Top
#313847 - 02/08/05 09:42 PM Re: Today's Weather
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

They never seem to go that fast on 35W Especially when I'm in a hurry

Too many curves on 35W. 494 doesn't have sharp curves until it approaches 694. They can really move out by the airport. Oh how I miss large fast highways with agressive drivers.

Return to Top
#313848 - 02/08/05 09:44 PM Re: Today's Weather
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Come home, Nikko, come home (can I still call you that??)

Quote:

Too many curves on 35W

But not between Crosstown & downtown! Straight shot that's more like a parking lot
Last edited by Princess Leia; 02/08/05 09:45 PM.

Return to Top
#313849 - 02/08/05 09:58 PM Re: Today's Weather
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Come home, Nikko, come home (can I still call you that??)

Quote:

Too many curves on 35W

But not between Crosstown & downtown! Straight shot that's more like a parking lot

You can still call me Nikko. But I can only come to visit. Have family now.

I hate that stretch of highway. I will avoid it at all costs during rush hour.

Return to Top
#313850 - 02/08/05 10:32 PM Re: Today's Weather
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

I was at a school in Kansas City once and they predicted 3" of snow for Thursday. On Wed, schools were announcing no classes on Thurs (it takes a lot to cancel school here). My flight out was canceled for Thurs. Friday when I left, only 1 lane was plowed on the interstate out to the airport and I think there was about 4" total

Sounds like today. It is snowing like crazy outside and I guess there are wrecks everywhere. Everybody leaves work early so they can sit on the highways for 3 hours. I prefer staying here and waiting until the crazies are home and the roads are cleaned off.

Return to Top