Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#313934 - 02/08/05 10:29 PM Re: Valentine's day
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Two years ago, I bought a package of those tiny little valentine cards like the ones I used to give away when I was in elementary school. I wrote short, sweet sayings on each one; then, I hid them in places I knew she would look during the day and the following week. She found all but one and I could not remember where I'd hidden them all so we could not find it. A few weeks or months later she was surprised by the lost valentine. Bonus!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#313935 - 02/08/05 10:31 PM Re: Valentine's day
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Don't remember if it was for Valentine's Day, Christmas, or her birthday, but one year I gave the girl I was dating four coupons that she could redeem anytime within the next year: one for a meal cooked by me, one for me washing her car inside and out, one for washing her windows, and one for a night of fun at my expense.

Return to Top
#313936 - 02/08/05 10:57 PM Re: Valentine's day
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Two years ago, I bought a package of those tiny little valentine cards like the ones I used to give away when I was in elementary school. I wrote short, sweet sayings on each one; then, I hid them in places I knew she would look during the day and the following week. She found all but one and I could not remember where I'd hidden them all so we could not find it. A few weeks or months later she was surprised by the lost valentine. Bonus!

This idea is great!!

Return to Top
#313937 - 02/09/05 04:17 AM Re: Valentine's day
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
This is a good thread to incorporate into the singles bar.....how about some of these kinds of ideas over there?

I'm currently "without a she", to borrow a phrase from Saphire, but I haven't dated in 11+ years (marriage got in the way for awhile) and am WAY out of practice! I could use some tips on what single women are like these days.

I was definitely the more romantic of the two of us, but a failed marriage doesn't exactly tell me that I was romantic enough or maybe I was too romantic.....anyway, what do ADULT single women want these days?

Saphire, you said you have munchkins? Me, too. How has that affected dating, etc? I can't imagine introducing my "girlfriend" (if I had one) to my kids.

Return to Top
#313938 - 02/09/05 05:26 AM Re: Valentine's day
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
Buddy - Congrats on even knowing that V Day is this month! You're way ahead of my guy. He will probably be calling the florist Monday morning when all the other women start getting flowers.

Gift ideas - Z's idea is the best! I have done it for my man, but if he did it for me I would be really touched (and shocked!) My other favorite gift is tasteful satin pjs. If you are somewhere warm, it would be neat if you picked a romantic spot and had a picnic.

Flowers - Personally I like to get flowers other than roses that maybe he remembered I like - like tulips, calla lillies, or orchids. Maybe an entire bouquet in her favorite color. Or what about getting the same flowers that were used at your wedding? It shows you put some thought into it.

FP - I think that women are looking for a mental connection. I tend to fall for guys who challenge my intellect, make me think, and show interest in who I am. It is amazing how many people you can have a conversation with and they never ask you anything about yourself. I think it's important to show true interest in getting to know someone and it can be fun too. Ask about the craziest thing she did in college or her most embarrassing moment. If you are the romantic type, you probably already know all this. I can't imagine that a guy could ever be too romantic.

Return to Top
#313939 - 02/09/05 01:24 PM Re: Valentine's day
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Although I am a firm believer in that diamonds are a girl's best friend, you can only wear so much without looking ridiculous.

Buddy, I would want the dinner thing, and if you go out a lot, stay at home and make a wonderful dinner; if you stay home a lot, make reservations a real cozy place (with nice food).

Give her that romantic homemade card while you are having cocktails.

Oh, and the flowers, bring them home, surprise her (leave a little early) and ring the doorbell. I get embarassed when I get flowers at the office.

Return to Top
#313940 - 02/09/05 01:30 PM Re: Valentine's day
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Yahoo poll found that most women want active gifts, like spa or weekend getaways (check to see if she wants it with or without you), and men want gadgets.

Return to Top
#313941 - 02/09/05 03:06 PM Re: Valentine's day
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I'm with Joker on this one, I'd love a new horse! But since there's no boyfriend in sight I guess I'm out of luck.

I guess if there was a boyfriend that was willing and because my taste in horses is more expensive than my taste in jewelry ...I'd settle for diamonds. I'm also a busy single mom, so ANY pampering (spa, massage, dinner out) is greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#313942 - 02/09/05 04:01 PM Re: Valentine's day
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Love the Avatar, JLJ! How's the house coming?

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#313943 - 02/09/05 04:11 PM Re: Valentine's day
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Quote:

Saphire, you said you have munchkins? Me, too. How has that affected dating, etc? I can't imagine introducing my "girlfriend" (if I had one) to my kids.

Well, I let people know right away I have kids. They are my life and if the other person doesn't like that, I know they aren't the one for me. I live in a small town, so anyone that is worth dating is already taken.. Not to mention, I don't have time to date. My kids are 4 1/2, 2 1/2, and 7 months today. If I did go on a date, it would be hard not to talk about them. If the dating got serious, and intro would be necessary. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I don't have enough experience to really tell you.

Return to Top
#313944 - 02/09/05 04:40 PM Re: Valentine's day
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Quote:

Love the Avatar, JLJ! How's the house coming?

Thanks! The house is coming along I should get to move in next month. What was I thinking when I decided to build in the winter?

Return to Top
#313945 - 02/09/05 04:54 PM Re: Valentine's day
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Yahoo poll found that most women want active gifts, like spa or weekend getaways (check to see if she wants it with or without you), and men want gadgets."

I thought she was the gadget.

Return to Top
#313946 - 02/09/05 05:12 PM Re: Valentine's day
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Are you the same Anon who just posted that you wanted a ticket to the Black Dahlia movie that portrays a 13 year old having sex? I am usually an advocate for posters to register, but in your case, I'll make an exception--you should stay Anonymous.
Last edited by -Z-; 02/09/05 05:16 PM.

Return to Top
#313947 - 02/09/05 05:12 PM Re: Valentine's day
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband tells me every day that he loves me, and hasn't missed one yet, in 14 yrs.

Return to Top
#313948 - 02/09/05 05:15 PM Re: Valentine's day
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Quote:

My husband tells me every day that he loves me, and hasn't missed one yet, in 14 yrs.

That's a man that loves his wife. Why can't all men be so thoughtful and remember his vows?

Return to Top
#313949 - 02/09/05 05:44 PM Re: Valentine's day
Anonymous
Unregistered

One year,(I can't rememeber the occassion) I walked in from work and found the house in darkness with only one candle lit beside the front door. Beside the candle, there was a note saying to follow the roses. There was a trail of roses to the bathroom where my husband was with a bath drawn and candles everywhere. In the bathtub, there were rose petals. He gave me a luxurious bath and then afterward gave me a very nice massage. This didn't cost much, but I will never forget it. He put a lot of time and thought into this gift, which meant to me that I was truly his valentine.

Return to Top
#313950 - 02/09/05 06:38 PM Re: Valentine's day
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
Quote:

Or what about getting the same flowers that were used at your wedding? It shows you put some thought into it.

This is my favorite idea that I have seen on here. I just got married in June so this is my first "married" V-day with my hubby also. I also would love to just go for a nice walk, just the 2 of us.

Return to Top
#313951 - 02/09/05 08:30 PM Re: Valentine's day
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Now let's turn the tables...

What can I get (or do) for the man in my life? There is, of course, the obvious. But what else? What kind of cool place could I take him to? I want something different, fun, exciting...you know...

Return to Top
#313952 - 02/09/05 08:38 PM Re: Valentine's day
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
It has been my experience that what men want for Valentine's Day is the "obvious"!

But on a serious note...I sent flowers to a boyfriend on V-Day...once...not the effect I was hoping for.

It would be interesting to hear from the other side.

Return to Top
#313953 - 02/09/05 08:48 PM Re: Valentine's day
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Quote:

Now let's turn the tables...

What can I get (or do) for the man in my life? There is, of course, the obvious. But what else? What kind of cool place could I take him to? I want something different, fun, exciting...you know...

Last year when I did have a man in my life I went all out. I kidnapped him on Friday after work and we drove 2 1/2 hours to a very cozy romantic hotel. We spent the evening in the hot tub and heated pool. The next day we slept in, ran around the town a little during the day and then had a very romantic dinner that evening. On Sunday we slept in again and then I took him to a college basketball game.

It was a great weekend, I really think there should have been a girlfriend of the year award for that one...

Return to Top
#313954 - 02/09/05 08:51 PM Re: Valentine's day
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, I think that this will be a V-day that she will never forget.

Someone else, I think that "the obvious" is always a great gift no matter the occation.

Return to Top
#313955 - 02/09/05 09:01 PM Re: Valentine's day
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
you better believe it! And that goes for both parties!

Return to Top
#313956 - 02/09/05 10:35 PM Re: Valentine's day
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Come on, all you GUYS out there!! Here is your opportunity to tell US what YOU want for Valentine's Day!! Anything???

Return to Top
#313957 - 02/09/05 10:42 PM Re: Valentine's day
Starter Offline
Platinum Poster
Starter
NJ
Been with my man for 5 years - our first date was going out to dinner for Valentines Day as friends because neither of us had a significant other - so I made a reservation at the restaurant that we went to 5 years ago as a surprise for him this year - gonna also bring a bottle of the same wine that we had that night.....or maybe it was two bottles........

Return to Top
#313958 - 02/09/05 10:52 PM Re: Valentine's day
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I hate valentine's day.

Better believe I will be throwing a "bitterness bash" at the singles bar on Monday.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3