Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#314367 - 02/09/05 06:10 PM *VENT*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I should post this in a different forum but I would like some input from HR people.
I've been at my job for total of six years and three years as a supervisor. I have worked hard to be where I'm at but I don't know everything. If I don't know something, I look it up (this site is wonderful!).
My problem is that my employees think that I am the one stop catch-all encyclopedia for ALL information. I have no problem giving answers to things that I know. But again, I don't know everything. I have given them a lot of resources if they should have questions: the Fed website, manuals, our processor, etc. But they never use them.
They come to me first (which is perfectly fine) but if I don't know, they get mad at me. Then, if I suggest they call a vendor or processor, they get mad at me more.
Am I offbase? I just feel like a phonebook and nothing more. Just a big easy piece of reference. I figure that if I keep giving the answers or looking up the answers and telling them, they're never going to learn or get the big picture.
It's just really bringing me down.

Advice please! (And if this needs to be moved to a different forum, I understand. )

Return to Top
Human Resources
#314368 - 02/09/05 06:31 PM Re: *VENT*
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Are they asking you questions that are not part of your position? I have held many positions within the company and as such, I also get a lot of different questions, oftentimes regarding issues/departments I havent been involved in for a long time. If you are kind enough to refer them to a person, manual, website or other resource that may help them, you are certainly doing your part. I think people just get lazy and can't be bothered to look things up themselves. With todays technology, it is easier than ever to find information.
Sometimes i just say, for example, "I haven't undewritten a VA loan for a long time-so and so could probably better answer that for you." Usually, if they keep asking me things i cant answer, they find a new "resource".

Return to Top
#314369 - 02/09/05 06:34 PM Re: *VENT*
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
In my old job as an Ops mgr, people did the same thing to me. I could give them manuals, instructions, rules, guidelines whatever they would need, and I would still get the freakin' phone calls. Between that and the consumer education I had to do, I can certainly empathize with you.

BTW-I left that insane position for a better one in compliance...

And, I agree with sox in 04, they are being lazy.

Return to Top
#314370 - 02/09/05 06:35 PM Re: *VENT*
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
From my point of view... I'm not a supervisor, but I know more than I should in my position. Some of my collegues come to me with quesions. If I know the answer great, if not, I suggest (who else) the supervisor. If I want answers, I go to the supervisor. The thing is, I use the tools that she gives. If she isn't around, I will go where I think I can find the answer.
If your employees don't take your advise, maybe you should have a staff meeting to let them know their choices. Don't mention names, but let them know as a group that they need to take advantage of the tools they are given. If all else fails, maybe let them know during an evaluation, or pull them into your office.

Return to Top
#314371 - 02/09/05 06:42 PM Re: *VENT*
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Let me get this straight...your emplolyees, by which I assume you mean that you directly supervise, come to you and if you don't have an answer get mad at you? And don't follow your advice to contact a vendor or processor if you don't know the answer? And they get eve more mad at you? I suggest that you start acting like a supervisor, rhather than their encycoledia. Start holding people accountable for what they should know. Send them to classes to train them. But most of all, if the people who work for you show their anger and frustration with you, you have bigger fish to fry. Like insubordination. Better get a handle on that quickly.

Try this - next time someone comes to you, rather than giving them the answer, sit down with them and show them where they can find it, and let them find it. BTW, they probably come to you because you do know the answer and it is easier to ask than look (of course, if the answer is wrong, who gets the blame).

Return to Top
#314372 - 02/09/05 06:56 PM Re: *VENT*
Flower Child Offline
100 Club
Flower Child
It sounds like they (your employees) are being really immature if they are getting mad because you don't know the answer. I think I would look at my hiring practices and make some changes there. It seems silly that they would get mad at you. And why is it bothering you that they are mad? If I were supervising to the best of my ability, I wouldn't care if they were mad. They may be mad because, heaven forbid, they might have to do some research on their own. *gasp* In that case, refer back to my initial advice. Look at who you are hiring.

Return to Top
#314373 - 02/09/05 07:33 PM Re: *VENT*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys. There are some issues that are going on:
I've been here less time than most of them. I'm younger than all of them (except one). I inherited all of them (except one-who happens to be the younger one).

What's funny is that my youngest one is awesome about figuring stuff out. I am in Operations at a small bank so I tend to wear a lot of hats. A LOT! I the know theories behind everything but not necessarily the details. She's the least of my troubles.

I know that it has a lot to do with my age and 'time' with the bank. There are probably hard feelings about me in this position. I've tried to smooth things over by not being the controlling boss but I think I went too far to the point of them taking advantage of me. Now, I'm afraid to 'over correct'. Does that make sense?

Oh, and after I put my vent in, I actually had a suggestion that I needed to write everything I knew down so that they can use it. Write everything I know down?!

Return to Top
#314374 - 02/09/05 08:18 PM Re: *VENT*
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, writing things down is called procedures, not a bad thing. A simple "reference guide" for where they can look for information could do wonders...laminated and placed on every desk.

Return to Top
#314375 - 02/09/05 08:52 PM Re: *VENT*
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Happens to me all the time - as the trainer they think I'm supposed to know everything about banking - when they do call to ask a question, I 'try' to refer them back to some manuals/procedures/resources, etc. Not always successful in remembering to do that. I think a previous poster is correct in calling it laziness - easier to call someone than look it up yourself.

Return to Top
#314376 - 02/09/05 11:07 PM Re: *VENT*
-5K-, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
-5K-, CRCM
I had a situation recently where a supervisor, not mine, asked me if I had time to research service fees that other banks charge. The supervisor was given this task by their supervisor who also happens to be my supervisor. I told this person that I have various job related projects that I need to finish this month and would not have time to do this research( research that THEY were assigned) This person asked if maybe I could try to complete this research by the end of this month since I had so much other stuff to do.

I'm thinking that maybe I was a different language... so I told this person once again that I NOT would be able to do this research.

That was a week ago. This person has not spoken to me since! I always help when I can.It pisses me off that this person gets mad the ONE time that I can't help them.

Return to Top
#314377 - 02/10/05 10:18 AM Re: *VENT*
TB Offline
Pennsylvania
My tellers do that to me as well. I have been in bankingfor along time and I guess they assume I am all knowledgable. I will usually answer what I can if I feel it is within my job and what I cant answer I give them the information to find out and they are pretty good about following thru to find out. I would just stop giving them the answers and let them find out for themselves. If they get mad then I agree it is time to get a handle on them. Sometimes its a compliment that your employees come to you and sometimes its just a pain when you know they can find out for themselves.

Return to Top
#314378 - 02/11/05 02:11 AM Re: *VENT*
Anonymous
Unregistered

My problem is that my co-workers ask me questions....and I gladly help. Unfortunately "management" thinks my opinions, knowledge, etc is not worth a thing.

Return to Top
#314379 - 02/11/05 07:06 PM Re: *VENT*
Anonymous
Unregistered

This must a universal occurance. Here I was thinking it only happened to me. I've been the trainer at my bank for 2 1/2 years, assigned to to train mainly retail banking, and BSA for all employees. But everytime I turn around someone's calling asking questions that could be easily looked up. I think I figured it out. Trainers are preceived as not having much to do, so people don't think it's an intrusion with all the calls and questions. They bypass superviors and managers to to cal me. NO ONE is an expert in all subjects and these people need to realize that.

Return to Top
#314380 - 02/13/05 02:51 PM Re: *VENT*
Skeezex Offline
New Poster
Skeezex
Employees take the path of least resistance. It's easier to ask a question and get an answer than it is to do research. Be flattered that someone thinks you're knowledgeable enough to answer their questions, then handle the questions differently. Instead of giving the answer, ask the employee what the answer is. I've found that more ofthen than not, the employee knows the answer, they are just in the habit of getting the answer validated. In time, those that are knowledgeable will start acting on their own. But, handling it this way won't shut the door to those employees who do need your guidance and help. They'll still come to you and as as supervisor, that's what you want. Everyone is overwhelmed and has lots to do. As a supervisor, you must balance your work while assisting your staff. You've been holding hands and that's a situation you set up. You have the power to change that and become more effective.

Return to Top
#314381 - 02/15/05 06:17 PM Re: *VENT*
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I also run into a variation on this scenario-I usually eat lunch at my desk. I love the ones that come in, and when they see my sandwich shoved in my mouth, ask if i am eating lunch, then proceed to ask a question anyway. I know i take my chances when i dont unlock the chain from my leg and go out for lunch, but give me a break. They have to pick that one period of time to ask that ever so important question....sheeesh

Return to Top
#314382 - 02/15/05 09:39 PM Re: *VENT*
GregS Offline
100 Club
Sunny Florida
I think all trainers are perceived as knowledgeable about the policies and procedures of the bank, the computers, the products, etc.
What they don't know is the "crash course" & research you had to do on Check 21, BSA, CIP, etc.
If you can answer the question with a question and point out that you are actually a trainer and this is part of the training they may go to their supervisor with the question.

Return to Top
#314383 - 02/16/05 01:12 PM Re: *VENT*
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I know i take my chances when i dont unlock the chain from my leg and go out for lunch, but give me a break. They have to pick that one period of time to ask that ever so important question....sheeesh

LOL, sox. Happened to me today*, ironically, when I had to drop off a memo to the same party, he was eating his lunch!!!

*I meant yesterday, doh!

Return to Top
#314384 - 02/16/05 02:05 PM Re: *VENT*
Rosebud123 Offline
Platinum Poster
Florida
Same thing happens to me at my institution except that I am being asked to make decisions for other managers' and when I tell them to ask their manager, they say their manager sent them to me. Unbelievable! What I do is that I tell them that I cannot make that decision for their department.

By the way I am a compliance officer and anything with the word "compliance" is automatically my responsibility. For example: "Is the building in COMPLIANCE with city codes"?

I am not kidding this really happens.

Return to Top
#314385 - 02/16/05 07:41 PM Re: *VENT*
Cathy P Offline
Gold Star
Cathy P
NE
I understand how you feel compliancequeen. People seem to think I know about human resource compliance, IRS compliance, you name it. And then people confuse bank policy (which I do not make) with federally regulated stuff. To be honest with you I'm not sure who makes bank policy for teller stuff...it's just always been that way I guess.

Return to Top
#314386 - 02/16/05 08:39 PM Re: *VENT*
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Read "The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey". It will empower you with techniques to stop feeding your monkeys. I keep a monkey Beanie Baby on my bookshelf to help me remember.

Return to Top
#314387 - 02/17/05 09:58 AM Re: *VENT*
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

Read "The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey". It will empower you with techniques to stop feeding your monkeys.

Anon- there have been some good comments made here. I especially like those by Skeezex - such as getting validation. Employees often need validation until they feel comfortable to act on their own. I think that you may want to read the Mgr/Monkey book too. Empower yourself to empower them.

And there's also "career vs. job." An employee who looks at his/her position as a "career" will generally try to learn/apply/remember info. An employee who looks at his/her position as a "job" will often approach the question/task much differently and with less interest.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry