Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#316385 - 02/15/05 01:55 PM Lending Limits on Insiders (not EOs)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently read that under Reg O, the bank Controller can assign a credit limit for Insider lending. Are there any general rules to determining the credit limit? Is it merely a percentage of Capital and Surplus for that quarter, or can it be a random or otherwise justified number than % of C & S?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#316386 - 02/15/05 02:09 PM Re: Lending Limits on Insiders (not EOs)
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It can be whatever up to the regulatory maximums (loans to one borrower rule)for directors and principal shareholders. Reg O dictates the limits for EOs, but a bank could be even more restrictive if it wanted..

Return to Top
#316387 - 02/15/05 04:08 PM Re: Lending Limits on Insiders (not EOs)
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
An internal control in credit decisions would better be set by lenders, not the controller or other accountants. What the heck do they understand about credit underwriting ?

Return to Top
#316388 - 02/15/05 04:12 PM Re: Lending Limits on Insiders (not EOs)
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
However, the controller will be an excellent source for the basic numbers to be used in the calculation of the legal lending limit, which is constrained by the capital accounts of the bank.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#316389 - 02/15/05 04:21 PM Re: Lending Limits on Insiders (not EOs)
Anonymous
Unregistered

John,

That's the route I took. The controller can give me our quarterly C & S number and we can determine the lending limt to our insiders based on a percentage of Capital and Surplus.

Return to Top
#316390 - 02/15/05 04:59 PM Re: Lending Limits on Insiders (not EOs)
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Based upon the capital calculations management and the board should determine what their risk appetite for insider loans is. If you want to push the limit, you need to ensure that you have good controls to track it and that you leave room should numbers change. You don't want to suddenly be over the limit because a situation changed.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z