Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#32252 - 09/11/02 07:02 PM Fee Income audit
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
We are charging bad checking accounts back to the income account. I always thought that overdrawn deposit accounts were considered loans and should be charged against reserves. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
Audit
#32253 - 09/11/02 07:18 PM Re: Fee Income audit
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
We charge ours off to NSF fees because that is what our overdrafts are; we pay NSF checks and overdraw accounts only if the customer has sufficient funds in another deposit account to cover and if they have had no prior NSFs. Have you checked to see if this is the case at your bank?

Return to Top
#32254 - 09/11/02 07:35 PM Re: Fee Income audit
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
The amount of NSF fees, service charges, OD charges, etc. should be subtracted from the total amount to be charged off. Those fees should be offset against non-interest income. The remainder should be charged against the reserve because, as you said, it's an extension of credit.

Return to Top
#32255 - 09/11/02 07:37 PM Re: Fee Income audit
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A loss on a checking account is an operational loss and is taked directly from the bottom line. You should not be charging checking account losses against your loan loss reserves.

Return to Top
#32256 - 09/11/02 08:24 PM Re: Fee Income audit
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I guess you learn something new every day! I did a little checking, and according to OCC guidance, you can do it either way. I was 'brought up' in banking to believe it had to be charged against the reserve, and maybe that's because the first bank I worked for had a large volume of charged off deposit accounts - the regulators probably made them start reserving for that loss.

Return to Top
#32257 - 09/11/02 09:25 PM Re: Fee Income audit
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Thanks for all the help. I guess we'll keep doing it the way we have as we do not have to charge off very much.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#32258 - 09/13/02 12:04 AM Re: Fee Income audit
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
My opinion, take it or leave it, would be if you are obtaining a substantial amount of dollars in od accounts, you should apply to them your loan loss reserves.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z